Monitoring mil frequencies when there is not a base close by

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

I live in central NC, and have no military base near me. What will I have the best luck with? Air Force or Marine planes? I would like to attempt to monitor mil comms, but am not sure where to start since there are no mil bases near me. Any help is appreciated.-----------KI4HOT

wtp

back when i lived in wallington new jersey, i had a pro-2004 with a back of the set antenna.
back then 415.7 was called "nationwide" and it was used for air to ground for air force 1 & 2.
i was in north new jersey using a stock antenna and getting them a few minutes of them being airborne.
about 200 miles away is not too bad.
granted the ISS can be heard, but i expected that.
and around 250 miles is not unheard of.
so just put some stuff in even up to 300 miles away, you never know.
altitude is everything.
their's not yours.
MilRadioComms - Military Radio Frequncies, HF, VHF, UHF
just a start.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
You may wish to consider SDR# with a dongle or better yet an airspy, and install the frequency scanner plugin. With an airspy
you can scan the entire milair band in about a second. Prolly takes 2.5 seconds or so with a dongle. This will allow you to find whats
actually in use around you. 225-380mhz. There is a split in there that is FM sattelites, but you prolly won't hear much of that by accident (signals are pretty weak without the right antenna). It's a needed in a haystack problem, you'll never know how much there is around you til you can monitor it all almost at once, such as with the above mentioned setup.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I live in central NC, and have no military base near me. What will I have the best luck with? Air Force or Marine planes? I would like to attempt to monitor mil comms, but am not sure where to start since there are no mil bases near me. Any help is appreciated.-----------KI4HOT

All depends on the time of morning, lunch, afternoon and late night when the pilots from base to base or airport. Here where I live they fly in and out all times of the night depends on what's going on. Google search for Military frequencies around your area you may find some or less. I found these via Radio Reference...Military Air Frequencies in North Carolina

I have a big frequency that I use that I pick up most frequencies when the Military pilots and crewman use when talking to airports, bases and etc. MilAirComms website is the best one to reference on what everyone else is picking up via scanner frequencies in their area or around. Also, ADS-B is a great way to pick up Military airplanes flying around or landing or possible landing at their designated base.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Remember that military air signals travel a long way at a high altitude. Seymour Johnson, Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point, and Fort Bragg should be hopping. At least they were years ago.

Civilian air chit-chat is at 123.450 AM

And there are also weather offices at military bases that talk to pilots direct. That is very interesting when bad weather is making an impact.

spacellamaman

you may think ya don't but ya do. there is tons of stuff, ya just have to scan it all though. :)

trauts14

@jaymatt1978 ATCC is regional correct? just like atlanta is 128.800 for flights in the SE region. i did not know/never thought of Mil using ATCC. do you happen to have a link showing uhc atcc freqs, or am i just as good googling that?

trauts14

@iMONITOR i would enjoy hearing that as well. do they generally use vhf? the frequencies for convoys would depend on the branch of armed forces as well, correct?

jaymatt1978

trauts14

thank you. should i assume any 200-300mhz frequencies in that link are mil? thanks for the link.------------KI4HOT

spacellamaman

292.25 last night round 2000hrs had EPIC41 talking to NEWSREEL about being "alpha 3" for something about ?slats? and were burning off fuel to make the landing easier. that was rather interesting. if i had any brains i would have been scanning CLT civ freqs too instead of holding on 292.25, to find out what all happened.

but since i don't have any.....

Status
Not open for further replies.