Icom: Icom 706 MKIIG software, what's the best to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrath

I heard there are 2 different versions of software to program this radio (I could be wrong) but can anyone advise me on which s/w is best?

thanks!
There is probably Icom software (I bought an HT with Icom software) AND then found RT systems , i bought there software for one of my radios and found it is awesome because no matter what radio you buy RT will have cable and specific software that you can purchase ,so that you have one radio database that can be shared across all radios ,I have Icom, kenwood & Yaesus that i can program identicly or resort my frequencies in different ways or it has trip planning ,that you can tell it where you are going and will reprogram your radios for any specific local frequencies ,not such a big deal on HF but on other areas of the spectrum its awesome i program my IC 7000 with the same database and setting preferences as all my other radios ,it is an awesome convience , some newer hams would rather be cheap and play for hours with some chirp or freebie software getting it to work , i think the 25 or 50 bucks investment on rock solid software with guarrateed to work and not waste my time is worth it ,because maintaining one database across 37 different radios ,different brands and different parts of the radio spectrum is far eaier than programming idividual databases with favorite frequencies and modes and stuff, is just a waste of time . So that's my suggestion for software , you can clone your radios or change everything , i like being able to pick up a radio I haven't used in while and tell it memory #x because i know that's what I plan on using right now ,i never planned on all the radios I have (and some of them I bought before alpha numeric displays and programming software existed , they sneak up on you ,blink and bang there's a new one your moving into !
I started with one FT 530 31 years ago and alot of hamfest and candy store visits later I could talk on a different radio everyday for almost 2 months without running out of radios.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

bill4long

Here's the RT Systems' webpage for the IC-706 (which I have the IC-706II version): RT Systems IC-706 Page

RT-Systems does not have software for the 706. While the 706 can respond to some CAT commands over RS-232, the 706 cannot be memory-programmed by this means, therefore RT-Systems didn't bother making any software for it. Maybe time to get a new radio? I recommend an IC-7300. ;)

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
RT-Systems does not have software for the 706. While the 706 can respond to some CAT commands over RS-232, the 706 cannot be memory-programmed by this means, therefore RT-Systems didn't bother making any software for it. Maybe time to get a new radio? I recommend an IC-7300. ;)

That's why I posted the link, so the OP could go read that for himself. :cool:

wrath

Well i assumed there software was as thorough on it as it was on the radios I own , having never bought a 706 in any version although I know alot of guys who have them and never heard that, i have several early Icom that use CAT but alot of guys told me to save the bread ,it didn't have much to offer me , are there any other rigs that that you are aware of that are poorly done ? Because like I say this was news to me.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.