Police Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3190

Premium Subscriber
Are all Maryland police agency radios channels encrypted? Or are there still scanners out there that will pick them up?

Danny37

Any agency in particular? If you search in the database and you see "E" or "e" it means the frequency is full-time encrypted or partially encrypted for the lower case "e"

john3190

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Mostly looking into state police or county frequencies. May he moving to maryland in a few months and just trying to figure out if it is worth buy another scanner if it won’t work for anything after I move

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Mostly looking into state police or county frequencies. May he moving to maryland in a few months and just trying to figure out if it is worth buy another scanner if it won’t work for anything after I move

Most Maryland police agencies have their dispatch talkgroups in the clear, but there are a few exceptions. Also be aware that the state police and most county police agencies are simulcast P25 Phase 1/2 systems - or will be shortly - which means a pretty expensive scanner or Unication paging receiver will be required for good quality reception.

boatbod

Most Maryland police agencies have their dispatch talkgroups in the clear, but there are a few exceptions. Also be aware that the state police and most county police agencies are simulcast P25 Phase 1/2 systems - or will be shortly - which means a pretty expensive scanner or Unication paging receiver will be required for good quality reception.
...or a cheap Raspberry Pi3 + RTL dongle and some significant patience to install op25 :)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Not to hijack this thread too much, but do you have a good “starter guide” for deploying it?

This is what is missing from the Raspberry Pi 3+ / OP25 / RTL solution - but Boatbod has made an excellent software installation routine, so I'll let him answer. Like most crowd-sourced software projects, the developers concentrate on the coding, and the documentation tends to be thin, confusing and outdated. What is needed is a concise, accurate, all-in-one-place procedural document.

I have a Raspberry Pi that runs on the FIRST system, and it does an outstanding job decoding audio. Its downside is that it is very technical solution - a lot of people have trouble programming the newer scanning receivers, and the Raspberry Pi solution is even more complex for the average / not particularly computer savvy listener.

As far as cost: Raspberry Pi ~$35; RTL/ant bundle, $25; OP25 free. You will need a keyboard, mouse and monitor to set it use and run, and a speaker or headphone. I used spare computer gear I have lying around, but others may not have access to it, so that would be and additional cost. Consumer scanners that reliably decode P25 simulcast cost $600+; Unications cost ~ $550.

Last edited:

boatbod

Not to hijack this thread too much, but do you have a good “starter guide” for deploying it?

As maus92 already said... not really... but there are resources you can google online and I hang out in the RR SDR forum and answer questions etc. I suggest you may wish to start here: https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/experiments-with-op25-and-liquidsoap.381446/

The op25+liquidsoap setup is most appropriate for a RPi3 as it yields best audio. If you are familiar with "git" and Linux, you can go a long way by doing the following:
Code:
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/boatbod/op25
cd ~/op25
./install.sh

After that, peruse the file ~/op25/README-rpi3-liquidsoap for hints on how to proceed further.

Tutorial on Setting up OP25 for P25 Phase 2 Digital Voice Decoding
OP25 For Dummies – Or how to build a police scanner for $30 (Part 1) | John’s Tech Blog

boatbod

I'm glad to see software is being developed to defeat encryption.
^^^???

Op25 can identify when encryption is being used, but it makes no attempt to decrypt. While not technically hard to implement a decryption step in the datastream, doing so successfully would require knowing the keys and I very much doubt these are going to be handed over by the agencies that set them up.

What op25 does well is decode the IMBE/AMBE voice streams used by P25 radios. These streams are not necessarily encrypted, merely encoded. Big difference especially as far as legality is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.