Just got a BCD436HP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCKFD34

Just got a BDC436HP. First time with a digital scanner after years of good 'ol VHF. Not sure what to do first. My town and county just went 800mhz so I am not sure if the database installed is updated yet. I want to make sure it is. Also, I guess all I need to do is enter my zip code? Yes, I see the owner's manual - I'm looking for tips/tricks. Do I need to go to another forum?

metsmetsmets

Download Sentinel to your PC then connect the scanner. You need to upgrade your firmware and database. Select what you want to listen to then write to scanner.

Tramagod

Just got a BDC436HP. First time with a digital scanner after years of good 'ol VHF. Not sure what to do first. My town and county just went 800mhz so I am not sure if the database installed is updated yet. I want to make sure it is. Also, I guess all I need to do is enter my zip code? Yes, I see the owner's manual - I'm looking for tips/tricks. Do I need to go to another forum?

The first thing you need to do is connect your scanner to your pc, this will download Sentinel from the scanner to your pc, then you need to check the firmware to make sure you have the latest version, finally you need to update the database, all this can be done through Sentinel. After all that you can either create a favorites list or you can just disconnect your scanner and enter your zip code to create a database from your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCKFD34

Thank you. I did that and I have a lot of favorites set up. I am only listening to my Town, but I am now trying to figure out how to turn favorites on and off using the device.

Ensnared

Thank you. I did that and I have a lot of favorites set up. I am only listening to my Town, but I am now trying to figure out how to turn favorites on and off using the device.

First of all, after you have completed the necessary upgrades and such, don't use the "start up configuration keys." I still don't understand how these work and really don't care.

You can arrange favorites in any order you wish (see sorting Favorites in menu bar of Sentinel). I like to put the number assigned to the Favorite Quick Key and Favorite Number Tag in brackets for each favorite. I always keep my Favorites Quick Key and Favorite Number Tag with the same number.

The profile is used to download and monitor various favorites you've selected. I have several profiles for different areas of the country, trips, etc.
I keep a Home Profile for my local monitoring.

In your profile, you can tell the radio which favorites you want to "download & monitor."

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Favorites.jpg
    Favorites.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 62

MCKFD34

Any suggestions for a better antenna? (BCD436HP) I'm shopping around but not sure what to look for.

MCKFD34

First of all, after you have completed the necessary upgrades and such, don't use the "start up configuration keys." I still don't understand how these work and really don't care.

You can arrange favorites in any order you wish (see sorting Favorites in menu bar of Sentinel). I like to put the number assigned to the Favorite Quick Key and Favorite Number Tag in brackets for each favorite. I always keep my Favorites Quick Key and Favorite Number Tag with the same number.

The profile is used to download and monitor various favorites you've selected. I have several profiles for different areas of the country, trips, etc.
I keep a Home Profile for my local monitoring.

In your profile, you can tell the radio which favorites you want to "download & monitor."

I hope this helps.
Thank you - this helped a lot!

JohnnyGent

Banned
Banned
Any suggestions for a better antenna? (BCD436HP) I'm shopping around but not sure what to look for.
You said 800Mhz so get a 800 Mhz antenna for sure, I use an old Radio shack one....I miss RS, and I have a stubby Chinese one I prefer for mobile use. Congrats on the GREAT radio, still love mine been running about 15hrs a days for 4 years.

Bob1955

ONLY the Diamond RH77CA but you can purchase it on Amazon.com with a SMA connector. My friend just got the same handheld scanner last month and has the Diamond RH77CA. Use it in GOOD HEALTH sir.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I use the Radio Shack PRO 96-97series rubber duck. It is much better than the stock 436 duck. I do not like a solid antenna on a hand held unless it is sitting on a holder where it won't get knocked around. The Uniden or Radio Shack rubber duck is on ebay or Uniden or Scanner Master

MCKFD34

You said 800Mhz so get a 800 Mhz antenna for sure, I use an old Radio shack one....I miss RS, and I have a stubby Chinese one I prefer for mobile use. Congrats on the GREAT radio, still love mine been running about 15hrs a days for 4 years.
So my County is ACPO 25 Phase I - is that 800Mhz? I also listen to and must have VHF since other agencies in my area still use conventional frequencies. Knowing this, does this change any recommendations? (and thank you BTW - so far this is great - still lots to learn)

MCKFD34

I got a diamond SHR77CA for mine, noticed an immediate improvement across all bands.

So I see Diamond RH77CA, SRHTTCA, and SRJ77CA on amazon.. My County is ACPO Phase 1, but I also listen to local agencies still using conventional. Not sure of that means anything as to which one is the right fit.

Tramagod

So I see Diamond RH77CA, SRHTTCA, and SRJ77CA on amazon.. My County is ACPO Phase 1, but I also listen to local agencies still using conventional. Not sure of that means anything as to which one is the right fit.

The RH is a BNC mount, the SRH is an SMA mount, both designed to receive the same frequency range.

Status
Not open for further replies.