• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 980

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I’m looking for a new cb I’m thinking the 980 thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

blakews2217

I’m looking for a new cb I’m thinking the 980 thoughts.

I like it, although a cobra 148 is on my list. The 980 is good out of the box, but sees marginal gains from “peak and tune” or hopping it up. My biggest complaint is some of the adjustments on the radio are stages, not the dial so you lose some adjustability there. Last summer I could work skip 3 nights a week, Texas to Maine, through canada and occasionally Alaska all from the stlouis area.

I’ll gladly answer any questions I can about the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prcguy

The 980 is a good radio overall, great receiver and with minor adjustments and a new mic it does really well on transmit. I find its much more frequency stable on SSB than older designs like the Cobra 148, etc.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I like it, although a cobra 148 is on my list. The 980 is good out of the box, but sees marginal gains from “peak and tune” or hopping it up. My biggest complaint is some of the adjustments on the radio are stages, not the dial so you lose some adjustability there. Last summer I could work skip 3 nights a week, Texas to Maine, through canada and occasionally Alaska all from the stlouis area.

I’ll gladly answer any questions I can about the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know the 148 may be an option too. I really want ssb.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
The 980 is a good radio overall, great receiver and with minor adjustments and a new mic it does really well on transmit. I find its much more frequency stable on SSB than older designs like the Cobra 148, etc.

Thanks for the input.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I have a 980. it works ok. It's a good modern radio with good ssb output. AM is just so so. Don't bother with a "peak & tune"; there is no real difference between 3watt output and 3.5watt or 4.
The 148 is a better radio, but I think "out of the box" the 980's ssb is better buying a used 148 is iffy, unknown mods & competency of hacker is something to consider.
There are other illegal radios out there with ssb support. but for the money, I would get another 980.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I own 2 980's. An early build then a leter build.if you buy 1 try to get newer build as via a button push you can end that annoying beep for every function.
1 easy modulation improvement its easy is take mic apart.inside there is a round patch over speaker hole,remove it then use a 3/16" drill bit and open the hole in the baffle.dont go any bigger but after that mod i get reports of how clear my voice is.
If needed id buy another.
Good luck with whatever you buy

prcguy

I experimented with my 980 mic drilling a larger hole and measuring the results and I published my results, so you might be using my mod. The radio also benefits from a simple adjustment of the mod AM mod limiter All that Is definitely better than stock but an aftermarket preamp mic is what will really wake it up on transmit.

I tried a bunch of stock dynamic mics I had laying around and they didn't do any better than the stock. I then tried an old Shure 526T preamp base mic and it sounds as good, loud and punchy as any radio out there. I finally settled for now with a preamp D104 mobile version which I had to equalize due to its shrill sound. I used about a .05uf disc ceramic cap right across its piezo mic element and that calmed it down. This setup is really loud and will cut through anything and might even cut the guys hair off at the receive end.

I don't think you can buy a better performing currently made stock SSB CB right now than a 980 and they are only a little over $100 on sale.

I own 2 980's. An early build then a leter build.if you buy 1 try to get newer build as via a button push you can end that annoying beep for every function.
1 easy modulation improvement its easy is take mic apart.inside there is a round patch over speaker hole,remove it then use a 3/16" drill bit and open the hole in the baffle.dont go any bigger but after that mod i get reports of how clear my voice is.
If needed id buy another.
Good luck with whatever you buy

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I experimented with my 980 mic drilling a larger hole and measuring the results and I published my results, so you might be using my mod. The radio also benefits from a simple adjustment of the mod AM mod limiter All that Is definitely better than stock but an aftermarket preamp mic is what will really wake it up on transmit.

I tried a bunch of stock dynamic mics I had laying around and they didn't do any better than the stock. I then tried an old Shure 526T preamp base mic and it sounds as good, loud and punchy as any radio out there. I finally settled for now with a preamp D104 mobile version which I had to equalize due to its shrill sound. I used about a .05uf disc ceramic cap right across its piezo mic element and that calmed it down. This setup is really loud and will cut through anything and might even cut the guys hair off at the receive end.

I don't think you can buy a better performing currently made stock SSB CB right now than a 980 and they are only a little over $100 on sale.
we must had same ideas.i adjusted my mod too then did the mic thing.i currently have a turner roadking 70j on my newest 980.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have experience with the galaxy 959 just curious how it is against the 980

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I have the 949 which is without the freq counter.....AM drifts a tad but solid on SSB....I think ya got it backwards....I let mine warm up a bit~around 15 minutes or so and kill skip whenever its in

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I had my galaxy 99V modded by a tech.he did lots to it. Now after he did his magic let it warm up maybe 5 minutes and it dont drift.
The group i chat with will definatly let you know if your off frequincy.i havent adjusted my clarifier in quite a while.
Galaxys are ok if you get them fine tuned,but out if the box lots to be desired

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
What are your thoughts on the President McKinley unit? Would it be as good a choice as the 980?

Bootyhunter

Late to this party, but I'd suggest the President McKinley. Has pretty much all the same features of the 980, even ssb, and has a front firing speaker. Fits in DIN and is a shade smaller than the 980. I wanted a 980 and ordered it from Amazon but it wouldn't fit in my DIN in my 06 Chevy avalanche, but then I found the Mckinley and couldn't be happier. It works great, has weather alert which was a "must have feature" for me. Display can be changed orange blue or green, I think the 980 has a couple more color choices, but other than that the McKinley meets or exceeds the 980. Check it out. Great radio.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Late to this party, but I'd suggest the President McKinley. Has pretty much all the same features of the 980, even ssb, and has a front firing speaker. Fits in DIN and is a shade smaller than the 980. I wanted a 980 and ordered it from Amazon but it wouldn't fit in my DIN in my 06 Chevy avalanche, but then I found the Mckinley and couldn't be happier. It works great, has weather alert which was a "must have feature" for me. Display can be changed orange blue or green, I think the 980 has a couple more color choices, but other than that the McKinley meets or exceeds the 980. Check it out. Great radio.
I agree. I had 160 meter through 70cm capability in my vehicle but I wanted to have 11 meters as well so I bought this unit. Fortunately my stainless whip is resonate at 27.990 MHz and covers both 11 and 10 meters quite well. The McKinley has a ASC (automatic squelch control) feature which does a really good job of discerning between noise and real am carrier signals. This would be especially useful for someone who travels as it would quickly find the activity in an area, but at the same time it won't see constant interruption by vehicle noise in traffic (the ASC does not function in sideband mode. For scanning in SSB mode the regular squelch can be used). I sold all my 11 meter equipment 33+ years ago when I got my ticket but I'm glad to have the capability again. The McKinley is quite a useful radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.