SDS200 And 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5mow

Good evening everyone

I was wondering if I could use a standard 8 GB or 16 GB Micro SD card found on Amazon. Wondering if I could use this in the Uniden SDS200 and the SDS100. I believe the ones I found on Amazon are a micro sdhd. Will this work OK in these radios or does it take a particularSD card.

Thanks Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
They would work but the general consensus is to use high endurance cards.

K5mow

They would work but the general consensus is to use high endurance cards.

OK thank you for the information. Would I search high endurance SD cards on Amazon or are they normally purchased elsewhere. I definitely want to purchase the high endurance cards in tended to work in the unit.

You very much Roger

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Good evening everyone

I was wondering if I could use a standard 8 GB or 16 GB Micro SD card found on Amazon. Wondering if I could use this in the Uniden SDS200 and the SDS100. I believe the ones I found on Amazon are a micro sdhd. Will this work OK in these radios or does it take a particularSD card.

Thanks Roger

The "high endurance" cards were recommended by UPMan as they are made to take a higher number of read-write cycles. Here is the post where that recommendation was made. That card is available on Amazon.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Roger, you can get them on Amazon. I usually buy Transcend brand cards from CDW. They're reasonably priced and I've never had any problems with them. There are also others available. Buy from a reputable source because there are fakes out there.

K5mow

Good morning everyone

Thank you all for this information. I actually hesitated on even posting this message thinking like of course any card would work. I am glad I posted the message. You learned so much from this forum. I ordered the recommended card with a USB adapter so I could program the card without being in the radio for a back up.

Thanks Roger

jjbond

Banned
Banned
I assume this means that it doesn't come with a SD card?

You'd be assuming incorrectly, they come with a card installed already.

Included on the microSD CARD
  • A copy of the RadioReference Database (HPDB)
  • Uniden's Sentinel Software. which can also be found here
  • Pre-Formatted with FAT 32 Filing System
    • Main Folder named "TBA"
      • Below TBA folder contains:
      • (7)Sub-Folders: activity_log, alert, audio, discovery, favorite_list, firmware, HPDB
      • (4)Loose Files:
      • Configuration files: app_data.cfg, discovery.cfg1, profile.cfg
      • Set-Up file: scanner.inf

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SDS200#Included_on_the_microSD_CARD

blackbelter

What would be the highest GB of high endurance micro SD card that I could use in my SDS 200 ? Is it true that the higher the GB card the longer it takes to load in the radio ?
Thanks

jjbond

Banned
Banned
What would be the highest GB of high endurance micro SD card that I could use in my SDS 200 ? Is it true that the higher the GB card the longer it takes to load in the radio ?
Thanks

Did the store you bought your SDS200 from give you much of a discount due to the fact yours obviously didn't come with an owners manual? I'm just curious, cus if they did, you can still find a PDF version online.... :rolleyes:

Page 6 in your owners manual:

microSD card (provided - 1 GB up to 32 GB supported

RogerH11

I went ahead and ordered the 200 as well since no stores had it anywhere near here. I wonder if I could use the DDR upgrade on both assuming it's a s/w upgrade? I think that person was asking what they could get away with since the 32G doesn't seem to satisfy them? I think they want to try at least double that which the manual doesn't address.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Larger cards do make the radio take a little bit longer time to boot up, but once it does there is no difference. For most people not using the recording feature the 4 and 8GB cards are plenty as the database and a few dozen Favorites Lists usually take up only a half GB or so.

If you are using the Recording feature then a larger card will of course allow a larger amount of recordings to be retained. The manual does report up to a 32GB card is supported and for grins and giggles I just tried setting up a 64GB card I had. While Sentinel will recognize it and set it up via a card reader the SDS200 reported an SD Card error when I tried it in the radio.

If you do not need it I would suggest turning off the Recording feature on your SD-card radios to reduce the R/W instances. This reduces the possibility of card corruption should the power be interrupted. I have had a 536 in the truck for a couple years without having a corrupted card even though the radio goes on and off with the ignition, I have the recording feature off and this really helps. Of course the fact that I keep a programmed spare card available in the truck as well is good insurance.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you do not need it I would suggest turning off the Recording feature on your SD-card radios to reduce the R/W instances. This reduces the possibility of card corruption should the power be interrupted. I have had a 536 in the truck for a couple years without having a corrupted card even though the radio goes on and off with the ignition, I have the recording feature off and this really helps. Of course the fact that I keep a programmed spare card available in the truck as well is good insurance.
You're right.

A couple of weeks ago, my SDS100 just quit with I picked it up. It did it 3 or 4 times. I determined that the battery lost connection with the radio's contacts. I fixed it with only a little extra padding in the battery cover. Anyway, the SD card was not corrupted because the only time anything happens with the card in my radio is when I turn it on or off. When it lost power and I turned it back on, it simply loaded the same information back into the scanner. I do not record.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I went ahead and ordered the 200 as well since no stores had it anywhere near here. I wonder if I could use the DDR upgrade on both assuming it's a s/w upgrade? I think that person was asking what they could get away with since the 32G doesn't seem to satisfy them? I think they want to try at least double that which the manual doesn't address.
If you mean DMR upgrade no you have to buy the upgrade for each individual unit It has been stated many times over in the forums as why you have to do that. And it also states in the manual that up to a 32gb card is supported I believe if you go any bigger it will throw a error.

Ubbe

When you write to a SD card it uses one area of the memory and next write will use the next area, even if you delete the old data or edit it. It goes thru the whole memory to the end when writing and then start from the beginning again. I think it's called leveling. When a 32GB card have been written to once to the whole memory area, a 8GB card have been written 4 times over a memory area. If the life time of a card are calculated from how many times it could be written to, then a 4GB card would have 8 times less life span than a 32GB card.

/Ubbe

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I do not do any recording, so my 8Gb card is more than enough to hold the entire RRDB and whatever FLs and info I write to it. For some of you that do constant recording, I imagine you are more prone to card failures. I guess it's a cool feature, and I might play around with it in the future, but as of right now I keep it simple with zero conflicts.

JD
kf4anc

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For what little High Endurance Micro SD cards cost, and considering Uniden now recommends them why don't they supply them with the scanner to begin with? Why pay twice for a memory card? A 16GB is only $12.00 retail.

blackbelter

High endurance means that it supports more write cycles, usually 4000. That translates into longer life.

Actually SD memory "wears out" pretty quickly, due to electrical factors, not mechanical ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.