SDS200...Complete Dummies Guide...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik71

I wouldn't mind one. I know it may be easy for those who didn't miss the last few generations of scanners with digital system capabilities, but when my own county finalized the switch (P25), I thought, "Well, that's that". So, when looking into HF antennas, I happened across an advert for the SDS200 and thought the time has come. And this radio is amazing! And I'm sure even more than I know lol. Which brings me to:
While I'm slowly but surely sorting things out--and will continue to, for sure--the handful of available Youtube guide-vids (scannermaster, the awesome Upman, and others) are great, they seem to assume some familiarity with the last few models of radios. I can't be the only one to think An in-depth* guide would be immensely appreciated.

*Some of us need a little more depth lol

Thanks,
Erik

Last edited:

RogerH11

IMO, the biggest "dummie" feature ever was that zip-code thing. I mean, how much simpler can you get than that? I've programmed dozens of scanners for people as many couldn't or wouldn't figure it out, and this was just the simple 100-200 channel conv jobs mostly, with some trunk added in as well. Programming has always been the biggest problem for people and that's been overcome. It doesn't get any more simple than today. My guess the problem now would be all the options so I suggest finding a YouTube guy that waste an hour and a half talking, while playing less than 30 seconds of live radio feed, I mean gosh!!!! Type in setup and the model you want to learn on YouTube, as monkey see, monkey do,, easy. Good luck!

Erik71

I'm sure there's a bit of over thinking it here. But, again, there's seems to be a lot of assuming and dismissiveness going on when asking for help. Some embrace the chance to help. Others feel the need to make you feel like a "monkey" and direct you to look elsewhere.
That said, there is some very basic instruction on Youtube, and maybe, hopefully, there's more coming. Anyway, all good.

W5RGP

One thing I did when I got my first 536 was did the zip code deal then create favorite save current database to favs

Then read that into sentinel and then on computer went in and avoided everything I didn’t care about then saved it back to scanner

But now I just enter most stuff in manually I’m at otr truck driver and use the god puck

But most states I run-in I have favorites for those and have them set for location base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
[
I can't be the only one to think An in-depth* guide would be immensely appreciated.

*Some of us need a little more depth lol

You're definitely not the only one! Even Lindsay had questions that even Upman couldn't answer! These new SDS series scanners very advanced and complicated and to some extent still a work in progress. More info and easier guides will surface just as soon as things get sorted out.

Erik71

I think I'm just all geeked out and excited to be able to monitor again, you know. Brand new (quite expensive--for me, anyway) toy. Eager to learn and take full advantage of what the thing can do. But patience isn't my strong suit lol. That's all. All good. Just slow down, relax, have fun. :)(y)

Erik71

[

You're definitely not the only one! Even Lindsay had questions that even Upman couldn't answer! These new SDS series scanners very advanced and complicated and to some extent still a work in progress. More info and easier guides will surface just as soon as things get sorted out.
That just occurred to me, too. This thing just came out, right? 2019? So, yeah, it'll take some time. (y)

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Ok let's start one here step by step...

On/off turns the scanner on or off. To turn the scanner On turn the Volume knob CW (clockwise) the ways the hands turn on old timey clocks..

Is that the kind of Dummy Manual you require?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Erik71

Ah! Here's a serious one: Say I'm scanning and I hold on a channel. It used to be, I could directly save that channel as a favorite...? Is that possible still?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Do either of your SDS200s say "On/Off"anywhere lol? See, we've already got a problem lol. (The little universal "on/off" symbol gave it away.)
OMG how could I forget that a dummy doesn't know what the 0/1 symbol stands for. Egads this could take some serious time and many volumes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Erik71

I've got DNR on hold btw. We're finding out if someone can use crawfish as bait in the Potomac. Suuuure would make a nice fav.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd be willing to get a wiki article started on this - it would include links to Mark's guide and an article or two that we have on SD cards - but only if someone will step up and get it the rest built.

Any takers? Mike

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I'd be willing to get a wiki article started on this - it would include links to Mark's guide and an article or two that we have on SD cards - but only if someone will step up and get it the rest built.

Any takers? Mike

Not me I had a hard enough time with the ON/OFF instructions. I guess I just can't DUMB it down enough.

0/1 0=off 1=ON

Status
Not open for further replies.