Thinking about purchasing an SDS100 - Already have a BCD436

Status
Not open for further replies.

hth999

Hello Everyone,
I have read many a review, post, and seen videos. I have a BCD436 that I use here in Pinellas County in Florida. I monitor a system called Pinellas County Services and it's P25 Phase 1. I also can receive Clearwater P2. Pinellas County System is a Simulcast. The 436 does a good job, and almost all transmissions are received very well. Occasionally, I get some garbled transmissions, but overall reception is very good. This is what I use it for 99 % of the time. I see the SDS100 has been out a while now. I read some comments saying the scanner is awesome for P25, others say not so good. I don't know who to believe these days. I am wondering if it is worth the 649.00 to buy a new one. The 436 is becoming older now. I know when I first made the purchase for the 436 I was not too happy with it's build quality, but it's a good scanner that is still going strong. I just have to be careful with it and NOT drop it.
Can someone tell me the build quality of the SDS100 ? I understand they are now shipping with the bigger battery, which I think is needed. How many hours do you get on a full charge ? Do you get a battery cradle ?
Now how about performance....as I mentioned, I am happy with my 436. Is the SDS100 worth 649 ? Right now I'm not interested in DMR, but may be in the future. I like the color screen, but would like to hear from some who have both the 436, and now the SDS100. Was it worth the purchase ? How about Build quality ? Audio quality ? Battery length ? Any information about your experience would help. Thanks for your time in reading this. hth999

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
I have read many a review, post, and seen videos. I have a BCD436 that I use here in Pinellas County in Florida. I monitor a system called Pinellas County Services and it's P25 Phase 1. I also can receive Clearwater P2. Pinellas County System is a Simulcast. The 436 does a good job, and almost all transmissions are received very well.

If the 436 is doing the job to your satisfaction then it's just a personal preference choice, not a necessity.

In the last few months I was on the fence seriously considering a SDS200. After being honest with myself regarding what really matters I bought my second BCD996P2 and a BCD536HP for $100 more than the SDS200 alone would have cost. I have not regretted my decision in any way. They both do exactly what I need them to do. A SDS200 would not have done anything better in my environment.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
the sds100 and 200 are awesome however if your current scanner does what you need then no real need to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

kwebster7327

I went from a 436 to a 100 and if I have to say if the 436 works for you, stick with it. The 100 is a great radio, but it doesn't do anything the 436 didn't do for me personally.

That said, there are some things about the 100 which are improvements which some folks can't live without (display, charging, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Zero issues with both of my SDS's. Some people have issues, most people don't. I just bought a quarter horse six months ago and he went lame two weeks ago. Does that mean I would never buy a quarter horse again? Of course not. Blanket statements concerning all SDS100 scanners having 'too many issues' is way ridiculous, and most people making the aforementioned statements don't even own the radio. ZZZzzz

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
I'll be taking donations to purchase a SDS 100. If you have a SDS 100 laying around. And you don't have a need for it anymore. If you would. wrap it in bubble wrap. And put it in a box and ship it to me thanks. Most scanner enthusiasts have more then one scanner. Likely two of the same make and model.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

hth999

Thanks for the people who responded. Seems as if the SDS 100 is basically the same as the 436, except obviously a better screen that is in color, and the charging options are better. No responses to build quality, audio quality ( as compared to the 436 ) and battery length between charges. Do you get a battery cradle like other handhelds ? Anybody have any answers ? Thanks in advance.....hth999

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the people who responded. Seems as if the SDS 100 is basically the same as the 436, except obviously a better screen that is in color, and the charging options are better. No responses to build quality, audio quality ( as compared to the 436 ) and battery length between charges. Do you get a battery cradle like other handhelds ? Anybody have any answers ? Thanks in advance.....hth999

The SDS is superior for monitoring simulcast systems . In my case, the SDS pulls in several trunked systems that my 436 cannot hear at all, unless your very close to the systems.

There is no battery cradle included. The radio comes with one battery that charges in the radio. There is an external charger that comes with a battery for around $69.95.

Build quality is about the same as the 436, and they sound pretty close .
I have both SDS scanners, and 2 external chargers, and I am very happy with all of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RT48

I have had a 436 for five years and have been very happy with it. I've had zero problems so I'm not sure what your issue is with "build quality". I did acquire an SDS100 a month ago and I am very impressed with it. Zero issues with it so far.

As to comparing the two:

436 reception on my local simulcast system is about 95% clear and 5% garbled. SDS100 is 100% clear. Running them side-by-side I discovered that occasionally the SDS100 picked up transmissions that the 436 was missing. I had no idea the 436 was missing transmissions until I did that test. Both with Remtronix antennas and latest firmware.

WD8KND

Hello Everyone,
I have read many a review, post, and seen videos. I have a BCD436 that I use here in Pinellas County in Florida. I monitor a system called Pinellas County Services and it's P25 Phase 1. I also can receive Clearwater P2. Pinellas County System is a Simulcast. The 436 does a good job, and almost all transmissions are received very well. Occasionally, I get some garbled transmissions, but overall reception is very good. This is what I use it for 99 % of the time. I see the SDS100 has been out a while now. I read some comments saying the scanner is awesome for P25, others say not so good. I don't know who to believe these days. I am wondering if it is worth the 649.00 to buy a new one. The 436 is becoming older now. I know when I first made the purchase for the 436 I was not too happy with it's build quality, but it's a good scanner that is still going strong. I just have to be careful with it and NOT drop it.
Can someone tell me the build quality of the SDS100 ? I understand they are now shipping with the bigger battery, which I think is needed. How many hours do you get on a full charge ? Do you get a battery cradle ?
Now how about performance....as I mentioned, I am happy with my 436. Is the SDS100 worth 649 ? Right now I'm not interested in DMR, but may be in the future. I like the color screen, but would like to hear from some who have both the 436, and now the SDS100. Was it worth the purchase ? How about Build quality ? Audio quality ? Battery length ? Any information about your experience would help. Thanks for your time in reading this. hth999
There's a YouTube video comparing the 2 radios on Simulcast The 436 wins out. Do a search on it and see for yourself.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
I just bought an SDS100 and I am selling my 436. VERY happy with my decision. My 436 suffered badly from LSM distortion. YMMV

qman62

There's a YouTube video comparing the 2 radios on Simulcast The 436 wins out. Do a search on it and see for yourself.

Those are older videos. There's a more recent video from a RR member showing the SDS100 and G4 going neck and neck with each other.

I live in a county with a 15 tower LSM system and I can tell you my SDS100 won't shut up. It's like being back in the old analog only days. I only have a 325P2 and a Pro-106 to compare it to, and the SDS smokes them both. The best thing being I don't have to worry about where I listen, the SDS100 has great reception no matter what room I'm in. No moving it an inch to the left or right to have to find that "perfect" listening spot.

To the OP - I get 6 to 8 hours of listen time with mine (depending on what I have turned on), but I always carry a USB power bank for back up power, which can be used for a smartphone as well.

Last edited:

hth999

I have had a 436 for five years and have been very happy with it. I've had zero problems so I'm not sure what your issue is with "build quality". I did acquire an SDS100 a month ago and I am very impressed with it. Zero issues with it so far.

As to comparing the two:

436 reception on my local simulcast system is about 95% clear and 5% garbled. SDS100 is 100% clear. Running them side-by-side I discovered that occasionally the SDS100 picked up transmissions that the 436 was missing. I had no idea the 436 was missing transmissions until I did that test. Both with Remtronix antennas and latest firmware.

Thanks for your comments. I get similar reception quality with my 436 on P25....95% clear, and 5% garbled. Based on your comments and others, it seems the SDS 100 is better, but I have to ask myself is it worth the 649.00 ?
As far as build quality...I have many handhelds, scanners and receivers. I find the plastic build quality on the 436 to be poor. For over 400.00 it should be better. If you drop it it will most likely break or there will be some damage. Icom R20, Icom A14, Yaesu VR-6, Whistler WS1080, all have better build quality. This is just my opinion. The 436 is fine, but lacking in superior build quality. My cheap BC125AT has the same build quality.
Thanks again for your comments. hth999

WD8KND

Do you own the BCD436 and the SDS100 both. There are more showing the SDS100 working better.
I only own the 436, but I saw the video that I referenced. If some show one better, and another the shows other better, then maybe it isn't that different. His question was "should I change radios?" Issues with reception can be made up with better antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.