AC Log not showing a com port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

I Have a Dell XPS 8500 computer running windows 10 connected to a Kenwood 990. My Issue is with my logging software rig interface. I use N3FJP AC log. A few days ago it worked flawlessly but now when i go into rig interface settings I do not see a com port. Dell tells me nothing is wrong with my machine and all com ports are functioning properly. They say its either a software or a cable issue. But what as recently as July it worked. Why did I loose my comport in AC log and what caused this?

majoco

Stirrer
Recent Win10 update? Sneaky so-and-so's do it in the middle of the night when you're not watching! Does the XPS8500 actually have a Com port or is there a Com-to-USB software program running.

a417

Didn't think the XPS8500 had a com port on it, id start looking at the dongle/wire if there was one.

AC2OY

Recent Win10 update? Sneaky so-and-so's do it in the middle of the night when you're not watching! Does the XPS8500 actually have a Com port or is there a Com-to-USB software program running.
I used to see Com2 in AC logger in Windows 10 on the 8500 it never showed com ports but USB com port descriptions according to Dell

AC2OY

That I’m not really sure about. I’m going to try a new cable a 9 pin RS 232 to USB and see if that works.

AC2OY

Guys I found my problem there are no com ports showing up in my device manager. However there’s a workaround go into device manager and hit action and install legacy hardware!!! I did it successfully on my laptop but on my ancient 8500 when I hit action no drop down menu appeared. Is my Windows 10 corrupted or does anyone know how to make it work or do I need to wipe the computer and reinstall Windows 10? This was a update for free from Microsoft years back so I’m assuming I would have to purchase Windows 10? All this to get my com ports to appear!!! I hate my life now lol!!!

a417

That I’m not really sure about. I’m going to try a new cable a 9 pin RS 232 to USB and see if that works.
yep. USB to serial dongle. Not a true onboard serial port. Prolific (i think) went and pushed a driver update that basically killed off all their older dongles and told you it was deprecated hardware, and the work around was to use an older driver.

AC2OY

yep. USB to serial dongle. Not a true onboard serial port. Prolific (i think) went and pushed a driver update that basically killed off all their older dongles and told you it was deprecated hardware, and the work around was to use an older driver.
Ok so how do I use a older driver? I bought a new Dtech DT-501 RS232 to USB type A cable today and now I actually see a useable com port in Device Manager and in the rig interface software but I still can’t get it to work!! I’m inching closer but just not there yet.

a417

The older driver rollback trick I have specifically used with a certain version of Prolific's USB to serial adaptor, so it may not apply to your issue. If it will not show up in the device manager as a device at all (like it won't even show up with a question mark) , then you have problems with the device...not the driver.

I'm not familiar with the device you mentioned, or the software so my advice is vague at best. You get a functional com port in the device mangler and the software won't recognize it?

K8KPO

I don't know if this is the type of advice you want, but we use A LOT of industrial devices with RS232 output at work. This is the only adapter I use at work if I'm needing RS232 to USB. These have worked on every single windows PC I have ever used them on. This link is to the updated version:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This was a update for free from Microsoft years back so I’m assuming I would have to purchase Windows 10? All this to get my com ports to appear!!!

If you activated the FREE Windows 10 back when you installed it you should be able to re-install Windows 10 for ever after.

Status
Not open for further replies.