396/996 updates in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

What kind of results are you getting with the firmware "updates" on the 396/996 on digital systems in Tennessee? I'd really like to know what folks in Memphis and Nashville think. I'm still not sure what to think here in 'Nooga.
BG..

regression

I listen to the Memphis digital system and haven't noticed any big changes. Maybe a little better at decoding in the fringe areas, but that is it for me.

Airdorn

I listen to the Memphis system every day, and I have noticed some minor changes.. to me, the audio fidelity got sharper and there's a bit less distortion.

I also, since the update, I rarely ever get those long 'chuggg' bursts of digital control channel noise that sometimes precede a talkgroup.

The MLG&W system is digital also, and I didn't notice much improvement there at all. It already sounded clear as a bell. I think I must live a couple of miles from their big repeater. :)

n4yek

I am not in the areas you asked about, but my P25 decode is a lot better.
I do have some issues with the PL tone and End Tone for the scanner. They seem to not be working correctly. The scanner is waiting for the carrier to drop before it resumes scanning and not when the audio drops. this is happening on both conventional freqs and the Knoxville TRS I monitor. I am still trying to figure this out.

jmays

I live in Cester County, TN, some 50 to 60 miles from Memphis. Reception of the Memphis system was poor. After the update it is much improved and I can monitor day and night. The volume is more even with other systems monitored.

Also, Lexington, TN, which is relatively close by, transmits some in digital which was easily decoded by my BC785D, but not satisfactorily with the 996. Now, it is very good. Same situation with TWRA. Previously, the 996 could not decode but the 785D did.

I am very pleased with the update.

J Mays
KO4SI

Status
Not open for further replies.