396 and 996 not communicating with ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinsu

I have a 396XT and a 996T, I have used ARC XT and ARC 996 for them for years. I recently changed computers and now all of a sudden neither scanner will communicate with their respective software. The 396XT works fine with UniTrunker and Pro96Com. When I attempt to read data with either ARC software they say the scanner is not detected, when I click ok the scanners will beep then go back to scanning. I have tried various COM ports and baud rates with no success. I am using a USB to Serial adapter, the driver was installed automatically when I connected it.

Bucko

I would make sure the drivers are okay in the Device Manager. New computer I am guessing maybe Windows 8? If so I had similar problem when I went with a new computer which has win8. To get it to work I installed the old Vista drivers then updated to the latest prolific drivers using the device manager by manually ( did not let windows do to ) update to the new drivers from the device manage.

cinsu

I would make sure the drivers are okay in the Device Manager. New computer I am guessing maybe Windows 8? If so I had similar problem when I went with a new computer which has win8. To get it to work I installed the old Vista drivers then updated to the latest prolific drivers using the device manager by manually ( did not let windows do to ) update to the new drivers from the device manage.

New to me, swapped computers with my wife. It is Win 7, my old computer was the same, I kind of remember having to download drivers for it but I'm not positive. I have downloaded the new ones from prolific but it is having the same problem. I can't figure out why both Pro96Com and UniTrunker work fine but the ARC software doesn't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Things I would check:

1. Are you sure that either UniTrunker or Pro96Com aren't still using the com port when you try ARC XT?

2. I would also look in the Device Manager under COM ports and verify which COM port your adapter is using. Then make sure ARC XT is using the same one.

3. You also might check your baud rate on both the scanner and in ARC XT to be sure they match.

cinsu

Things I would check:

1. Are you sure that either UniTrunker or Pro96Com aren't still using the com port when you try ARC XT?

2. I would also look in the Device Manager under COM ports and verify which COM port your adapter is using. Then make sure ARC XT is using the same one.

3. You also might check your baud rate on both the scanner and in ARC XT to be sure they match.

Thanks for the replies,

1. Yes, I exited completely and even went so far as to completely reboot and only run ARC XT after restart.

2. Checked there and switched to different ports a few times to make sure. I also tried switching USB ports.

3. I tried initially 115200, brought it down to 19200 and everything in between. Adjusted in the software, device manager and the scanner each time.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another thing that throws folks is that if the Control Channel Output function is ON, the scanner won't connect to the PC. Check Settings -> Set C-CH OUTPUT.

This apples only to XT scanners...

Mike

cinsu

Another thing that throws folks is that if the Control Channel Output function is ON, the scanner won't connect to the PC. Check Settings -> Set C-CH OUTPUT.

This apples only to XT scanners...

Mike

Thanks Mike, tried turning that off now, no changes.

I am working with the drivers now, I had the most up to date driver from prolific but found others who had somehow received a corrupted version of the driver. I have uninstalled it but that didn't complete satisfactorily so I am trying to locate some files to replace in my drivers folder then I will be re-installing the newest driver from prolific.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
If the adapter works with Pro96Com and UniTrunker, I don't think the driver is the issue. Seems to be an issue with the ARC XT settings or installation. Have you tried reinstalling ARC XT?

Does it work with FreeScan?

Last edited:

cinsu

If the adapter works with Pro96Com and UniTrunker, I don't think the driver is the issue. Seems to be an issue with the ARC XT settings or installation. Have you tried reinstalling ARC XT?

Does it work with FreeScan?

That was one of my thoughts but I didn't think it would hurt. I have not tried reinstalling ARC but would both ARC XT and ARC 996 have this same issue? I will try that next just for fun.

If that doesn't work I will try freescan for fun too but I have 12 states worth of data in ARC files and that wouldn't really suit me as a permanent solution.

Afterthought, Would using 64 bit OS cause an issue like this?

cinsu

Well, I don't know how or why but I seem to have fixed it. When the latest prolific drivers (3.4.48.272) were installed something got corrupted and the prolific software wouldn't uninstall them. After much googling I located an older version of the driver (3.3.5.122) got it installed but it wouldn't communicate either however it did remove the files from 3.4.48.272 drivers when uninstalled. After much more googling I located a prolific driver in between those two (3.3.17.203) installed it and now it magically works.

Now don't touch!

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Funny how I have been having this same issue. Maybe a ARC update? I believe this problem started after an update. My 15X / 996XT work just fine with ProScan lately.. and FreeScan.
Will try what Cinsu did.

cinsu

OK, now ARC XT locks up at 115200, max it will work is 57600. UniTrunker works as well as Pro96Com.

Next up is trying the 996 software. That scanner is permanent mounted in my car, will update shortly...

cinsu

Funny how I have been having this same issue. Maybe a ARC update? I believe this problem started after an update. My 15X / 996XT work just fine with ProScan lately.. and FreeScan.
Will try what Cinsu did.

You may be on to something here, I don't know when the last time I updated the software was on my old computer. It has been at least a year or more. When I started on this computer I downloaded the newest versions and the problems started. Also maybe try adjusting the baud rates.

Here is the driver software I downloaded that now works:
http://www.datapro.net/drivers/US-232-11_windows.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.