396 Close Call Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

seligman

I recently bought a 396 from a friend. I've never had a scanner with Close Call or Signal Stalker before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Close Call seems to pickup voice transmissions okay, but I haven't had any luck with data. "Data Skip" is turned off.

Another thing I've noticed is that it won't work well with "mobile" transmitters, no matter how close they are. I've only been able to detect stationary transmitters when I, too, am stationary.

Is this normal? I asked my friend about this, but he never used Close Call enough to know for sure.

Viper43

There are a number of threads on the CC and how it works, do a search and you should get your answers. One thing though is it shouldn't matter if your moving or not, so that may be due to the anrenna. I use the RS 800Mhz antenna and have had no problems picking up any active frequency thats within range whether it's 800Mhz or 42Mhz... the stock antenna isn't good at all.

seligman

Here's what I'm concerned about. I went to Disneyland yesterday and brought the 396 along connected to my Comet 2m/440 magmount antenna. I didn't bring the 396 into the park, but driving to/from Disneyland I didn't get a single hit using the Close Call.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
'Close' means just that, very close. As in, less than 100 feet, for ordinary several watt transmitters like HT's.

Of course, most of what shows up that close as you drive is cellular, which is blocked from CC just like it is from regular receive.

The Ham dual band antennas may be great on the ham bands they're for, but some are fed in ways that result in them being effectively a short circuit on any OTHER frequency, so they get nothing on 800.

The commonest 'useful' use of CC is in places like conventions and shows, where you are in the crowd, and can pick up the show organizers HT's, often standing with 10 feet of you and transmitting. It's a convenience for getting the frequencies, not a do-all.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The ability of close call is dependent on a couple of things. Power of the transmitter and your proximity to the transmitter.

I have picked up the VA State Police's transmitter at about 1/4 mile and a local taxi company at about the same distance. For some hand helds and lower power units, 100 to 200 feet (very seldom the max) is about the best I've done.

Viper43

Today at Indy CC picked up 75 different frequencies at or around the track, it's all in the antenna your using as to how well the scanner recieves

Status
Not open for further replies.