396T Display vs. scan rate confusion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've benn learning the 396T for a little over a week and the one thing that confounds me is the displayed info vs. the 100-channel/second scan speed.

It's basically incomprehensiible to observe the displayed scrolling text of the systems and group info considering the fast scan rate. It's almost a strobe-light like display in a sense, not following a predictable sequence.

Is there a better way to display so much information that, at a glance, is indicative of what the scanner is actually doing?

Andy
Scannist

steve_eg

How are you watching the scan as it takes place?

Mine shows "SCAN" when it's rolling through a conventional system, and show "SCAN ID" or "SEARCH ID" when it's scanning a trunked system (depending upon what mode I have it in). I don't see the System/Group names as it's scanning.

Steve

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Same with my 330T, assuming they're the same in that respect. All I see is:
"Scan"

If I'm watching it in Scannerbase or something, then sure I see the text/frequencies scrolling through at high speed... I only really care if it stops on one :)

Boomeranger

Banned
steve_eg said:
How are you watching the scan as it takes place?

Mine shows "SCAN" when it's rolling through a conventional system, and show "SCAN ID" or "SEARCH ID" when it's scanning a trunked system (depending upon what mode I have it in). I don't see the System/Group names as it's scanning.

Steve

Steve,

The top line shows the systems seemingly at random. I prefixed each system with a number matching it's quick key for reference. It goes from "1 PD" to "7 News Helos" to "3 Fire" to "9 Electric Co.", etc.

The second line shows each system's scan, or trunk ID scan/search mode, like you mention.

Screen display representation during scanning is a problem that I'm sure Uniden had to bang heads deciding on, due to it's virtual banking of systems. That and the representation when stopped on a channel.

I'm just wondering if there isn't a better way of representing what's going on at any brief moment in time during the 100 channels per second, that they didn't think of.

I guess the trouble lies in my history of watching blinking scanner bank bars lighting up in order, even though they were probably misrepresented as well now that I've seen the behavior in this new fashion.

I am familiar with how the 396T prioritizes it's scanning of channels, which probably explains away the issue for the most part.

All the best,

Andy
Scannist

VORTAC

Database Admin
Is your HOLD fonction is at 0 ? If so, put 1 or 2 sec for each systems.

Boomeranger

Banned
VORTAC said:
Is your HOLD fonction is at 0 ? If so, put 1 or 2 sec for each systems.

VORTAC,

I never had a bank hold delay before, what's the point of having one onw?

Actually I do use system hold temporarily on new systems for validation purposes.

Don't get me wrong, the 396T is the scanner I've always wanted. I'm still adjusting. :)

All the best,

Andy

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
Are you asking if there is ANY better way, or if there is a better way on the 396T?
On the 396T, there is no better way. There are alot of ways Uniden could have shown the scan speed. But, when you get right down to it, is this really useful information to display when you have so little screen space to begin with?

Boomeranger said:
I've benn learning the 396T for a little over a week and the one thing that confounds me is the displayed info vs. the 100-channel/second scan speed.

It's basically incomprehensiible to observe the displayed scrolling text of the systems and group info considering the fast scan rate. It's almost a strobe-light like display in a sense, not following a predictable sequence.

Is there a better way to display so much information that, at a glance, is indicative of what the scanner is actually doing?

Andy
Scannist

Boomeranger

Banned
bagmouse7 said:
Are you asking if there is ANY better way, or if there is a better way on the 396T?
On the 396T, there is no better way. There are alot of ways Uniden could have shown the scan speed. But, when you get right down to it, is this really useful information to display when you have so little screen space to begin with?

bagmouse7,

Yeah... yeah... yeah... You have a point there... BUT YOUR HAIR CONCEALS IT!!!

:D

All the best,

Andy
Scannist

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I don't really understand, but in any case I was not trying to be a smart ass...

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Display polling

From what I've observed, the scanner is actually scanning the systems in order by Quick Key. It seems that the display isn't moving fast enough to display the actual scan sequence. It LOOKED like it wasn't even scanning a few of the systems I had enabled. I loaded up a few systems and named them similar to what Boomeranger did. While it wasn't showing a few of the systems, when I transmit on a frequency that was in that system, it popped up right away.

My guess is that the scanner display doesn't update as fast as it’s scanning.

Boomeranger

Banned
bagmouse7 said:
I don't really understand, but in any case I was not trying to be a smart ass...

bagmouse7,

Sorry at my feeble attempt at humor. I meant no offense.

Andy

BrianZ111

I just got a 996T and the flashing display has kinda been driving me crazy too. Is there anyway I can just shut off the display of the systems as it scans them? I trust that it's scanning everything, I don't need to see it. The flashing between system and group alpha tags when it stops bugged me too but I managed to solve that by giving the group the same name as the system.

Napalm said:
Same with my 330T, assuming they're the same in that respect. All I see is:
"Scan"

If I'm watching it in Scannerbase or something, then sure I see the text/frequencies scrolling through at high speed... I only really care if it stops on one :)

same here

yaesumofo

What about a hidden scan rate test?
That way we could have constant comparson of scan rates amoungst all of us.
Oh Joy.
Yaesumofo

Boomeranger said:
bagmouse7,

Yeah... yeah... yeah... You have a point there... BUT YOUR HAIR CONCEALS IT!!!

:D

All the best,

Andy
Scannist

Status
Not open for further replies.