396T - Setting Backlight Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I've been reading among this forum that the 396's can be set for multiple backlight colors. I cannot find mention as-to how in my manual nor among the threads, just that you can change the color and flash too. I'm starting to think that the 396 may come in several levels, as I'm seeing 396T, 396XLT....hmmm.
Also, I've heard that the 396 and 996 are very similar radios, is there software that will allow me to load the desired config to both? I like Butel but it appears they are selling two diff packages, one for each.....I'd rather not enter all this data twice.
Thanx All.

spooney

The 396T only has a Blue backlight. The 996T has either Green or Orange and the 396XT & 996XT have multiple colors. A good software program that covers all these scanners is FreeScan.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The 396T has only blue, but the 396XT has multiple.

I second Freescan, or try Proscan. Both cover many different versions of Uniden scanners.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Ha, Roger that on the blue. I didn't know the 396 came in several flavors. I bought it for "a song" seems like it is going to do what I need it to do (as my surrounding jurisdictions go digital, I hope it doesn't sound as bad as the jurisdictions that already have with that underwater sound).
I'll check wiki, looking for a guide or what-have-you showing what functions
the XT and XLT have that I may be interested in; if you happen to know of
any such listing and have a link I'd appreciate it.
I'll take a look at Pro and FreeScan. Although I like the Butel products, I'm not willing to purchase software for each diff model, especially if they are darn near the same. Trying to keep the two versions in synch would be a head-bang I don't wanna deal with either.
Thanx gents.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is no XLT version...you can start here to view the differences between the T and XT versions - the diffs are in bold

BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

both ProScan and FreeScan work with both models...FreeScan is freeware - and we have the user manual also in our wiki

best regards...Mike

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yup, was just flipping between the T and XT screens in wiki. Not sure I comprehend it all but, in the end, if it does what I need, done deal. As others have said, blue looks cool but is hard to read, not enough reason to spend more money. For the most part, once things are programmed, I don't change them as it will be in active fire service use. I guess I should see what firmware is on it in case the upgrade is in order. I just brought up ProScan's page, gotta browse to see what it looks like. I'm amazed that Butel's products look and feel really sharp and most other products, for scanners or otherwise seem much less so. Maybe ProScan will surprise me.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
To clarify, the "396" doesn't really come in 'different flavors'; the 396T" is the old model, the 396XT is the current model. In other words, the 396XT replaced the 396T. There are no other versions (i.e. no XLT version).

Freescan works with any Uniden DMA scanner (and can import save files from other brand programs as well). Butels ARC-XT works with the 396XT and 996XT (no other models).

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
With FreeScan....nice product. I haven't been able to go "cover to cover" with the manual yet so bear with me on this question. As an example, if the only thing I wanted to listen to was one county BUT I wanted to be able to quickly flip Fire / Police / Highways-Roads / Other on and off at will. I thought I could enter the Frequencies in once as a Trunked System and then set the above 4 up as groups assigning a Quick Key to each of the 4 I just mentioned. Doesn't seem to be panning out. However, I may be confusing myself between the ability to Use a Quick Key at the Site (system) level vs. at the TGID Group level. Thanks for your patience and advice.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Disregard the prior post. I think I have the Quick Keys figured out. No thanx to Uniden's manual. Using bits and pieces of the online info regarding FreeScan helped.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.