396xt AC Power without Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
In all the years I have had the 346xt and 396xt I have never used the AC power supply until about 15 minutes ago. So this may be an odd question, but can you use the 396xt plugged into the AC power supply with no batteries in the scanner?

I have my 396xt plugged in now but if the batteries (non-rechargeable) are removed it goes dead. Is this normal?

I have not had the chance to grab my 346xt to see how that functions plugged in.

Thanks

wtp

the one here

the 396xt here works without the batteries.
unless the ac power has some problem
i don't want to say it but, is it plugged in?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
In all the years I have had the 346xt and 396xt I have never used the AC power supply until about 15 minutes ago. So this may be an odd question, but can you use the 396xt plugged into the AC power supply with no batteries in the scanner?

I have my 396xt plugged in now but if the batteries (non-rechargeable) are removed it goes dead. Is this normal?

I have not had the chance to grab my 346xt to see how that functions plugged in.

Thanks
It should work just fine without batteries. Both of mine do, as do my other Uniden handhelds.

Either the ac adapter is defective, or the power plug circuit on the side of the scanner is not making connection internally. First thing I'd suspect would be the ac adapter. If you have access to a voltmeter, check to see if it has any output. That would not be the output 'under load' (connected to the scanner), but at least it would tell you if it was completely dead.

You might also try a different adapter, either ac or dc, and see if that works. I don't own the 346XT, so don't know if it's adapter is compatible with the 396XT.

N8IAA

Thanks

Are you using the adapter that came with the scanner? If not, you may have the wrong polarity, or wrong voltage.
Larry

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Thanks, I'll try it on the 346 and sees what happens.

This is the Uniden OEM adapter, I pulled out of the box of random Uniden stuff I have. It was still in the plastic bag. Came with either the 346 or 396, which are the same accessories.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Also, when you do a firmware update, the instructions for doing so say to remove the batteries and run the scanner with the AC adapter.

MarkWestin

Do you have more than one AC adapter? Do you use the BCD396XT with a DC Adapter in your car? Look inside your Power Jack on both your BC346XT and your BCD396XT. The end of one of your AC adapters or a DC adapter could have broken off in the power jack leaving a yellow plastic ring in the jack. If there is a plastic ring in your jack, it will still work with the adapter the ring came from but any other adapter will not work.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.