396XT > control channel 'buzz saw' sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
When scanning a single conventional channel or scanning a service search range or direct entry, when a frequency locks onto a carrier signal with audio what does the scanner do if it is a P25 control channel?

I cant hear the buzz saw sound, I just see the signal strenght meter on full strength. Bottom line is we want to hear the sound and cant.

It does this no matter if we program it in a system or if we find it in service search. The scanner simply displays the “DAT” icon in the LCD and it mutes the audio – how can we unmute it and hear it?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
P25 control channels don't buzz saw. What you hear (very little audio) is the NFM demodulated sound of a P25 control channel.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have the control channel only feature turned on for custom search.
Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual custom search

Where / how do I view or trun on/off this feature "control channel only for custom search" ???

I found a check box in FREESCAN on the CC Screen under "General" settings called: Disable CC hits with scan.
This seemed to allow the CC sound audio pass for about 1/2 second before its muted.

I found another hidden check box in FREESCAN on the custom serarch page labeled "CC" and when I check this box and try to scan search it will now stop on the channel and display the sid, ect. but still no control channel sounds.

Not sure if these are the setting you are talking about, but either way, it is still muting.

Please reply,

Last edited:

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
P25 control channels don't buzz saw. What you hear (very little audio) is the NFM demodulated sound of a P25 control channel.

I was using the term "buzz saw" becasue that is how alot of people on here have been referring to it.

Either way, Paul, we can't figure out why we can't hear our P25 control channel?
No matter if we do direct entry, a service search or press HOLD while scanning our system!
If we press hold on a Type II system and there are no voice coms we hear a control channel, but it doesnt work that way on our P25 system.

(We are wanting to carry the scanner along with us when we do our drive testing using our Anritsu; while the scanner does nothing but tell the driver that they are likely in range of the control channel by being able to hear the sound of the control channel. But we cant figure out how to make the scanner hear the audio from the control channel.)

I should mention that if we do direct entry on our HP-1's it hears our P25 control channel just fine. We need to be able to do the same thing on the 396XT's we have !!!

Any help is appreciated. Please reply,

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Where / how do I view or trun on/off this feature "control channel only for custom search" ???

I found a check box in FREESCAN on the CC Screen under "General" settings called: Disable CC hits with scan.
This seemed to allow the CC sound audio pass for about 1/2 second before its muted.

I found another hidden check box in FREESCAN on the custom serarch page labeled "CC" and when I check this box and try to scan search it will now stop on the channel and display the sid, ect. but still no control channel sounds.

Not sure if these are the setting you are talking about, but either way, it is still muting.

Please reply,

So it's not really a buzz saw sound? Re-reading where you say it's P25, there is not a control channel only method in custom search (only Motorola and LTR).

If it turns out to be a Motorola control channel, then you could turn off control channel only in the Menu->Search For->Edit Custom->Set Control Channel Only.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
So it's not really a buzz saw sound? Re-reading where you say it's P25, there is not a control channel only method in custom search (only Motorola and LTR).

If it turns out to be a Motorola control channel, then you could turn off control channel only in the Menu->Search For->Edit Custom->Set Control Channel Only.

Menu->Search For->Edit Custom->Set Control Channel Only - is set to off !!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Oddly, the sound is a brap on the system I cited above (albeit not as brappy as a Motorola or EDACS). I am almost certain I've monitored other P25 control channels where the audio was virtually inaudible, but cannot prove it on a local system.

What specific system/frequency are you trying to monitor?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Ok, my apologies, I missed that.

Make a conventional frequency with "analog only" audio type and enter the frequency there?

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
You should hear the same thing on the 396XT as on the HP-1. I have both units on my desk and they behave identically in this regard on DFW Airport P25 / NCTCOG Trunking System, DFW Airport, Texas - Scanner Frequencies (using HOLD, 770.83125, HOLD on the 396). I cannot think of any setting that would affect this.

I am pressing [ HOLD, 17X.XXX, HOLD ] and the audio is still not coming through.

I have done a reset [ HOLD + 2 + 9 while turning the unit on] and that didnt change things.

We have several 396XT's here in the office and its the same on all of them.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Oddly, the sound is a brap on the system I cited above (albeit not as brappy as a Motorola or EDACS). I am almost certain I've monitored other P25 control channels where the audio was virtually inaudible, but cannot prove it on a local system.

What specific system/frequency are you trying to monitor?

We're sitting at one of the sites. I know the control channel sound can be heard, evident by entering the same frequncy into the HP-1 direct entry.

Condition of employment prohibits posting system and frequency - you can look at the info in my last post and make your own assumptions.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Make a conventional frequency with "analog only" audio type and enter the frequency there?

Jay, I just tried this and it works. Unfortunately, we want to be able to do this from direct entry (or custom searches.)

We have more than a handful of control channels around our sites and while there is nothing that prohibits us from making conventional systems with all the frequencies, we want the techs who don't know the ins and outs of how these scanners work to be able to just enter a freq by following instructions like [ Enter Hold, Freq, Hold ] this.

UPMan - any ideas? Is there a setting I can't find that will allow me to restrict direct entry and custom searches to analog reception only?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't have my 396 in front of me right now, but what if you set your limit/custom search to search for CTCSS/DCS and made sure CC Find is turned off? That might make it force into analog mode (the tone search part).

EDIT: I stand corrected, my 396 was almost right under my nose. in the MENU, under "Srch/CloCall Opt", try setting "Tone/Code Search" to "CTCSS/DCS Search".

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I don't have my 396 in front of me right now, but what if you set your limit/custom search to search for CTCSS/DCS and made sure CC Find is turned off? That might make it force into analog mode (the tone search part).

EDIT: I stand corrected, my 396 was almost right under my nose. in the MENU, under "Srch/CloCall Opt", try setting "Tone/Code Search" to "CTCSS/DCS Search".

That solved it Jay!

By setting "Tone/Code Search" to "CTCSS/DCS Search" it forces the radio to Analog for custom search and for direct entry (aka Quick Search).

Thanks everyone. Powers that be here at work just said "good job" to me!!! You all deserve the credit.

scanningisfun

That solved it Jay!

By setting "Tone/Code Search" to "CTCSS/DCS Search" it forces the radio to Analog for custom search and for direct entry (aka Quick Search).

Thanks everyone. Powers that be here at work just said "good job" to me!!! You all deserve the credit.

My 396XT does this also when I hold on a P25 site frequency. I have usually just went to the frequency by direct entry and open the squelch. It doesn't do this on Motorola or EDACS system control channels. I find the Project 25 control channel the most pleasing to listen to.

Here are my rankings of the sound of control channels in order:

1)Project 25
1.Motorola Project 25 http://kb9ukd.com/digital/astro96k.wav
2.M/A-Com Project 25 http://kb9ukd.com/digital/macomP25controlchannel.wav
2)Motorola
1.Smartzone Omnilink http://kb9ukd.com/digital/motorola_net.wav
2.Smrtzone/Smartnet http://kb9ukd.com/digital/motorola2.wav
3.Type I http://kb9ukd.com/digital/motorola1.wav
3)EDACS :evil:
1.Regular http://kb9ukd.com/digital/edacs96.wav
2.Narrow http://kb9ukd.com/digital/edacs48.wav
4)LTR :D