396xt DC vs AC adapter in Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgresq192

If I already have a AC/DC inverter for my car would it be ok to use the supplied AC adapter or would I be better suited to get the DC adapter for the car?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
A DC-DC adapter would be best (more efficient and much less space required), but I see no reason why a DC-AC inverter wouldn't work.
:)

OCO

Most DC-AC inverters generate RFI....DC-DC converters that use a higher input voltage than the output typically use a passive non-switching circuit without components that generate RFI.

bikinjohn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-35) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yes my inverter does generate noise, however it's not too bad on the scanner (unless I have the audio output plugged in to the aux input on the stereo).

As far as efficiency with the inverter, you're taking 12v dc, turning it in to 110v ac (modified sine most likely), then in to the transformer where it's going from 110v ac to 6v dc. With the cigarette adapter your going from 12v dc to 6v dc, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.