396xt firmware update help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAscannernut

I am looking for clarification (easier instruction) on how to install the latest firmware update. there are 2 links from uniden firmware update pages that I opened. one is an SCN file and the other has several files and 2 zip files within it. I am not sure what to with these files once opened. Thanks in advance for the help.

PAscannernut

Windows doesn't recognize the SCN file from the first download. I have windows vista. Do I need a newer version of windows to download that file? thanks alot

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Windows is not going to recognize that file. Don't try to open it. Start the update program and when asked, point to the .scn file.

PAscannernut

one other question I am not sure what to select for the "com port" (com3 or com6) and "baud rate" (38400, 57600, or 115200)? Also should I check the box for "enable major version up"

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Check Device Manager on your computer to see which comm port is needed. Are you using a USB to Serial adapter? It should be easy to find in device manager.

IIRC unless the first digit in the firmware number changes (ie: 1.xx.xx to 2.xx.xx) it is not a major version change.

I find lower baud rates are less likely to have errors.

PAscannernut

i am using a usb cable. Does that tell what com I should use? I am still not sure what baud rate to use as well. should I use a lower number to be safe?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
i am using a usb cable. Does that tell what com I should use? I am still not sure what baud rate to use as well. should I use a lower number to be safe?

Assuming that you are using the correct drivers for your USB cable, and have installed them properly.....

Look in the computer's device manager to see what comm port is being used by the USB cable (the USB cable is using a serial port adaptor with a comm port assigned to it.)

As far as the baud rate, use the same speed that your scanner is set to.

PAscannernut

i will check device manager for com. Do you know how to figure out on my scanner what baud rate it is using? Thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.