396XT - How do I get out of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westli

I have had my 396XT for a couple of months and I'm still getting familiarized with it. I have about a dozen systems programmed in, but like a lot of us, I spend most of my time scanning just one or two. Tonight I managed to do something and I can't figure out how to get out of it. Somehow I have it scanning Custom Search 9 along with the desired system and naturally it spends most of its time running through all the freqs in Custom 9. How do I turn off Custom Search. I have found plenty about how to do a custom search but nothing about how to stop it.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
While the scanner is scanning the Custom 9 freqs, press hold, then press and hold the function button until display says function key holding. Then press the lockout button twice so the display says locked out. If you are quick enough, you can just press the function button once after pressing hold, then press the lockout button twice; but you get more time to press lockout by putting the function button on hold. This will lockout your Custom 9 bank. You can still search that bank by going to the search menu and press the 9 button.

Keith_W7KEW

I have had my 396XT for a couple of months and I'm still getting familiarized with it. I have about a dozen systems programmed in, but like a lot of us, I spend most of my time scanning just one or two. Tonight I managed to do something and I can't figure out how to get out of it. Somehow I have it scanning Custom Search 9 along with the desired system and naturally it spends most of its time running through all the freqs in Custom 9. How do I turn off Custom Search. I have found plenty about how to do a custom search but nothing about how to stop it.

Press HOLD key
Depress scroll knob so the F icon appears on line 1 of LCD then turn scroll knob to 'Custom 9'
While the F icon still appears on Line Depress the L/O key twice to permanently lockout the Custom 9 Search.

You can do this for any system programmed into the scanner or any pre-programmed or custom search.

You can also do this from the Menu button.

Press MENU key.
Scroll to 'Search for...' Depress Scroll knob or Press E/yes key
Scroll to 'Edit Custom ' then Press E/Yes or scroll knob
Scroll to 'Custom 9' Depress Scroll knob or Press E/yes key
Scroll to 'Search with Scan' Depress Scroll knob or Press E/yes key
Scroll to ' Set Lockout' Depress Scroll knob or Press E/yes key
Select the Lockout setting you want. Depress Scroll knob or Press E/yes key

westli

Thanks a lot Keith and Richard. I went with the last option simply because it went in a straight line from Menu to Lockout. It worked. That's one of the great things and complicating things about this radio: There's more than one way to do almost everything. Something for every thinking process... if you can only find it.

westli
Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.