396xt locking QK through software, can't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggit

I'm using proscan and free scan. I set up my systems and groups and have locked out some of the systems at the software level and have uploaded the whole thing to my scanner. Trouble is I can't use the assigned QK's to unlock the different systems I have just uploaded. The ones unlocked I can toggle off and on. Dosn't seem logical that I would have to unlock everything before I do an upload.

captclint

Mentor
I'm using proscan and free scan. I set up my systems and groups and have locked out some of the systems at the software level and have uploaded the whole thing to my scanner. Trouble is I can't use the assigned QK's to unlock the different systems I have just uploaded. The ones unlocked I can toggle off and on. Doesn't seem logical that I would have to unlock everything before I do an upload.
Not sure why you would lock out systems in the software only. This would have no effect on anything. HOWEVER, once you upload systems that are locked out in the software, the scanner mirrors all your settings, including those lockouts. Lockouts override any quick key assignments. The simplest thing is to unlock the ones you want to monitor, and upload again to the scanner. Better yet, don't use lockouts...only use quick keys, which are much easier to manipulate at the scanner level.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Are you perhaps trying to use System Protect (which can ONLY be released by a software reload)? We have a warning about this in the FS user guide, and the description you give seems to suggest this.

I would enable/disable quick keys instead, as Capt has suggested...Mike

daggit

Well the reason I did this is because I want to boot up the scanner with the Freqs I most listen to then as I want toggle on and off the locked ones. I know you can use start up keys on the 396xt but was fustrating as some systems/sites or what ever didn't have a startup key shown in the software programs. Trouble with this scanner is how CNV and trunking systems don't intergrate well. I have to admit I still need alot to learn about this scanner but seems to me that the software could have been made to use the same QK in both type of systems. I know the complications of Trunking systems but why couldn't they have made it simple like a drag and drop into your own custom sites and take along the info that the trunking systems need? I know I'm not explaining this well but just seems that this could be easier and I'm sure in the future models it will be.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Like you said, there is a lot to learn about these scanners. Combining the ability to program a scanner via computer software and the many scanner features represents a lot of stuff to learn. Don't get too frustrated - everyone gets the "hang" of it eventually. Mostly it is through trial and error (with some bad words used along the way).

So much of how scanners are configured/set-up is based on user preferences. There are several ways you can go to arrive at your desired destination.

To add an example of assigning the same System Quick Key to trunked and conventional systems: I live in Louisville Kentucky. The public safety system I listen to is a trunked system. There are also some conventional frequencies for public safety use still active (paging and simplex channels). I've created a system for the trunked stuff and a second system for the conventional stuff. Both the trunked stuff and conventional stuff have been assigned System Quick Key 1.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I believe a distinction you might be missing is that there is a difference between whether an SQK is enabled/disabled and whether a site/system is unlocked/locked out. They are two separate functions. Toggling the SQK does not affect the lockout status.

nanZor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I've run into this Catch-22 before :

You have a system actively assigned to an SQK. However, all the groups inside that system were locked out / inactive during the software upload. Or, you accidentally lock out all the groups via GKQ's via keypad.

After the upload, the SQK doesn't seem to work for that system since there is really nothing to toggle on! (all groups inside the system are locked out).

Trying to manually toggle the system's groups back on via the menu system/group programming structure doesn't seem to work, although it will allow you to go through the motions of making sure the groups are unlocked - but still the SQK seems dead and groups still inactive.

The only way around this in the field is to not use the menu structure for group restoral:
Hold the FN key long enough to make it "sticky". (if you are slow like me)
Rotate the knob and find the system of interest.
Now toggle at least one of the groups on via keypad, hit scan, and you are back in business.

Last edited by a moderator:

daggit

Hertzian your spot on. I also jsut assigned a start-up key (1) to the systems I listen to most frequently and a startup key (2) to those I don't When I use the start up key 1 all the other systems on 2 are locked out and can not turn them back on the catch -22 is my choice is to start all systems up and each time temporally lock out the systems I don't want which are a few. I have stuff like avition and Railroads and alot of National Freqs I would like to toggle on and off. Ideally I would like to use the start up key 1 and then toggle the other systems on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.