396xt programing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

finni

A friend asked me to program his 396xt for him. I have a 996xt of my own which is connected to my computer 24/7. when I connect the cable that is hooked to my 996xt up the the 396xt I have no connection. I am using proscan which works perfectly for the 996. any ideas as to why the 396 is not connecting I have verified the port setting and tried all the options. and when I plug the cable back into the 996 it works fine.

thanks jason

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
A friend asked me to program his 396xt for him. I have a 996xt of my own which is connected to my computer 24/7. when I connect the cable that is hooked to my 996xt up the the 396xt I have no connection. I am using proscan which works perfectly for the 996. any ideas as to why the 396 is not connecting I have verified the port setting and tried all the options. and when I plug the cable back into the 996 it works fine.

thanks jason

Could be a bad socket on the 396XT. Has anything ever been connected to it by your friend?

Last edited:

finni

Could be a bad socket on the 396XT. Has anything ever been connected to it by your friend?

I do not believe so as he just got it for his bday. It has all the preloaded useless systems on it still nothing was modified

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I do not believe so as he just got it for his bday. It has all the preloaded useless systems on it still nothing was modified

In ProScan, from the menu bar up top, "Options" --> "Scanner Type"

is that set for the 396XT?

MarkWestin

If all else fails, you have to try full reset. This will delete all programming and reset all the scanner's settings (which is sort of the point). Turn the BCD396XT off if it is on. Press 2, 9, and Hold while turning the power on. As it powers on it will ask 'Restore Preprogram List? "Yes"=E/No="." '. Press "E" to restore the "preprogrammed systems" or "." to not restore them. Since you referred to the "preprogrammed systems" as "useless" you might as well not restore them. I have seen a lot of radios that just wouldn't work out of the box until a full reset was done.

Mark

mwhutton

Premium Subscriber
Not picking up much audio

I hope I'm "posting" this in the right spot? I have a bcd 396xt and used the freescan software to load my scanner. The system is Yuma Regional Comm. System ( P25) . I used the info from Radio Reference and I'm getting some of the broadcasts, but the scanner will hit on a TG and I will not hear audio. I am trying to pick up the Local Police, fire, and EMS since Im on search and rescue and it seems I mostly just hear bits of the dispatch. Very rarely will I hear say a patrol officer or an EMT? Am I missing something? Thanks for all the great insight by the way, I really bit off more than I can chew at first but you all and these pages are a life saver. On top of it all, I've never even been inside a forum so I am a newbie all around. Any suggestions would be awesome. thanks again

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

thanks jason

Check to see if the control channel output is turned on. If it is, it will not connect to software such as ProScan. See Settings > Set C - Ch output

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I hope I'm "posting" this in the right spot? I have a bcd 396xt and used the freescan software to load my scanner. The system is Yuma Regional Comm. System ( P25) . I used the info from Radio Reference and I'm getting some of the broadcasts, but the scanner will hit on a TG and I will not hear audio. I am trying to pick up the Local Police, fire, and EMS since Im on search and rescue and it seems I mostly just hear bits of the dispatch. Very rarely will I hear say a patrol officer or an EMT? Am I missing something? Thanks for all the great insight by the way, I really bit off more than I can chew at first but you all and these pages are a life saver. On top of it all, I've never even been inside a forum so I am a newbie all around. Any suggestions would be awesome. thanks again

There are a few things here. First let's get our database entry...(links are always blue)

Yuma Regional Communications System, (YRCS) Trunking System, Yuma, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

First question - how's your signal strength? if it's anything less than 3 bars or so, chances are your reception will be iffy. A better antenna is indicated, or use a different site

Next - Which site are you trying to use? For example if you are trying to use the one that's marked 'simulcast', this means that there are many towers rebroadcasting the same traffic. Consumer grade scanners have a very hard time decoding this. If you're trying to use the Yuma site, use the other one not marked simulcast.

We can't see anything with programming issues unless we can see a file. However you would be on the right track if you have set up your system, then the site(s) you want to try to use, then create group(s) of talkgroups that you want to hear. This list of talkgroups is shared among all sites (this is the basic concept around multi site programming).

If what I just said is greek, then this article from our wiki is a must read, along with the Easier to Read manual

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You might profit by going to our Arizona forum and asking for a FreeScan file that's known to work for your area.

Mike

mwhutton

Premium Subscriber
Thank You All!!

There are a few things here. First let's get our database entry...(links are always blue)

Yuma Regional Communications System, (YRCS) Trunking System, Yuma, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

First question - how's your signal strength? if it's anything less than 3 bars or so, chances are your reception will be iffy. A better antenna is indicated, or use a different site

Next - Which site are you trying to use? For example if you are trying to use the one that's marked 'simulcast', this means that there are many towers rebroadcasting the same traffic. Consumer grade scanners have a very hard time decoding this. If you're trying to use the Yuma site, use the other one not marked simulcast.

We can't see anything with programming issues unless we can see a file. However you would be on the right track if you have set up your system, then the site(s) you want to try to use, then create group(s) of talkgroups that you want to hear. This list of talkgroups is shared among all sites (this is the basic concept around multi site programming).

If what I just said is greek, then this article from our wiki is a must read, along with the Easier to Read manual

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You might profit by going to our Arizona forum and asking for a FreeScan file that's known to work for your area.

Mike

You guys are awesome, man. It's taken me over a month to get this thing jamming and it is incredible. I am glued and also addicted. Now that the feet are a little wet, I'll hang around here more often and start learning a thing or two now that it's not so overwhelming. Thanks again and Hope you all have a exceptional New Year ahead.

JRazta

You guys are awesome, man. It's taken me over a month to get this thing jamming and it is incredible. I am glued and also addicted. Now that the feet are a little wet, I'll hang around here more often and start learning a thing or two now that it's not so overwhelming. Thanks again and Hope you all have a exceptional New Year ahead.

mwhutton, would you mind helping me out? I have a BDC996XT and I am having trouble picking up YPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.