BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 3D printed stand and dash mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdpainter

Hi All,
I designed a couple of things for my BCD436 and posted them on Thingiverse. 3D printer required.
There is a tabletop stand and a dash mount. My designs are public and freely available on Onshape so you can customize them however you want. Onshape is free for open source use.

Here is the Thingiverse link with a couple of photos of the table stand only.
Uniden BCD436HP stands and mounts by kdpainter - Thingiverse

The direct link to the table top stand is here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e...187963fff5ed80a9df/e/df01d14c569fc4279fcfda6a

The dash mount is here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e...778c6d3127bfae3b28/e/df01d14c569fc4279fcfda6a

I hope somebody here finds them useful.

kdpainter

kdpainter

Shapeways is pretty expensive. At least every time I have thought about having them print something, it was really steep.
You can try 3D Hubs and pick a place that is close to you so that you might be able to save on shipping.
https://www.3dhubs.com/
I am not sure what those guys would charge. You would have to upload the stl file to get a quote.

mcarrico2

Premium Subscriber
Alright I appreciate it. I will look into it. Or would a CB microphone holder fit...just thought I can make a little wooden on with the holder attached to it

kdpainter

I think a microphone holder would work just fine. Nothing wrong with making one out of wood. I, on the other hand, need to justify my 4 printers somehow :)

JamesO

See if you can get your item printed at a computer or even the Apple store.

Many of these stores have 3D printers on display and they usually have them running some form of "test/demo" print so people can see them in operation.

You might offer to pay for the materials.

Who knows you might luck out with a store willing to do this.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
I designed a couple of things for my BCD436 and posted them on Thingiverse. 3D printer required.
There is a tabletop stand and a dash mount. My designs are public and freely available on Onshape so you can customize them however you want. Onshape is free for open source use.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e...187963fff5ed80a9df/e/df01d14c569fc4279fcfda6a

The dash mount is here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e...778c6d3127bfae3b28/e/df01d14c569fc4279fcfda6a

kdpainter
Very cool, thanks so much for sharing your designs! I'm having the tabletop stand printed now.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
I've made a copy of the dash mount model on OnShape to try to remove the curve and perhaps include some AMPS mounting holes so I can attach the stand to an AMPS plate in my vehicle. I've never used any kind of CAD program before, so you can imagine that I'm not having much luck. Does anyone have any pointers how I could accomplish this?

SCPD

QRT
Picture

Hi All,

The dash mount is here:

kdpainter

Can you post pictures for non members of the thingaverse site?

kdpainter

Can you post pictures for non members of the thingaverse site?

You don't need to be signed in or have an account to view. Not sure why you are seeing that. You can also search google images for "thingiverse BCD436HP" and you should see some pictures of it.

The onshape links do require an account. It is free but you would only need that if you wanted to customize the stand. It is an open source design.

kdpainter

I've made a copy of the dash mount model on OnShape to try to remove the curve and perhaps include some AMPS mounting holes so I can attach the stand to an AMPS plate in my vehicle. I've never used any kind of CAD program before, so you can imagine that I'm not having much luck. Does anyone have any pointers how I could accomplish this?

I am sorry. I didn't see this as I was in the hospital at the time you wrote it. I am out now. If you share your file back with me on Onshape, I can help you make whatever changes you want made to it. I should add some pictures of the dash mount. I used silicone glue to attach it to the dash and it works pretty nice.

kdpainter

I didn't know AMPS was a standard. I made a series of iPhone mounts that I use in my car that must be AMPS. I started with a mount I had bought to hold an iPod and adapted that to the iphone 5, 6 and 7 plus as I went through all those phones. Here is the adapter I made to use the bolt pattern that system used.
Car phone mount stem adapter by kdpainter - Thingiverse
Do you think this is this the correct hole pattern? I did this in Solidworks so no link to onshape but I could make that happen. I guess AMPS is 32 x 38mm. I will have to look at my old solidworks file to see if that is what that hole pattern was.

I will make a variant of the dash version that uses the AMPS bolt pattern. That seems like a good idea. It will take a little while before I can get to that project.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
I am sorry. I didn't see this as I was in the hospital at the time you wrote it. I am out now. If you share your file back with me on Onshape, I can help you make whatever changes you want made to it. I should add some pictures of the dash mount. I used silicone glue to attach it to the dash and it works pretty nice.

No worries! I hope you're doing well after your hospital stay. I screwed up the copy of the file so much that I deleted it. Since I was using a free account, I had to save the file as public and didn't want someone to accidentally print my horrible mods! :)

The plate in your other reply regarding AMPS looks pretty close. Here's the website I was using for the measurements when I tried to modify the file, AMPS Pattern Mounts.

Thanks again for designing this and sharing it with the community!

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Very cool. Out of curiosity, how much did they charge you to print it?
It was about $13. I chose an upgraded material and it was in my hands less than 24 hours after the order was placed. Prices and timing vary depending on who you choose to print through.

Status
Not open for further replies.