40 meters on 20 meter antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikedp

OK guys, I started on the air in 2016 then took a 3 year break(other things interrupted). So I don't have alot of time in the hobby. I have a 20 meter only inverted V in my backyard. Last night I fired up my little yaesu 450D when everything was dead in 20 meters, I decided to see just what was there on 40 m band. The noise floor was at 0-super quiet so I figured it's because you have no 40 meter antenna dummy. :) The signals started coming in. Turks and Caicos has a small pileup on 7.175. the caller was about S1, but because the noise floor was zero, I could hear him perfectly. And there were several other frequencies coming in. OK here's the dumb question, how am I receiving 40 meters on a 20 dipole? I never did key the mic to make contact.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
If the conditions are there you will hear Mars on that dipole. It's all about the conditions. I assume that that the match on that dipole on 40 meters is beyond the tuning range of the 450D? Beyond 3 SWR?

w2xq

Mentor
Any antenna--even a paperclip or a short hank of wire--will receive signals on any frequency. Making the transmitter happy with the antenna is another issue.

N2AL

For the longest time, I built a center fed zepp by Using 230 feet of 10 gauge stranded wire, strung about 60 feet in the air between two trees. I used a manual and automatic antenna tuner, user preference, and I could tune from 160 meters to 6 meters.
I logged 600 contacts, in 105 countries, on all 7 continents.
You can do a lot with 100 watts and a wire.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
OK here's the dumb question, how am I receiving 40 meters on a 20 dipole? I never did key the mic to make contact.
As the others noted, receiving a 40m signal on an antenna tuned for 20 is not surprising. Additionally, if you turn off the RX tuner, the signal may be even better. Experiment and have fun.

Mikedp

OK thanks for the replies guys, the only thing I've used as a tuner is the built in auto tuner. I understand that's not the best, but it's all I have. I was a little worried last night about keying up on 40 as not to screw something up in my 450D. But If I recall, the 450D gives a beep if there is a problem with mis-match and such. I'll try to make a QSO on 40 tonight though. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.