• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng 400-470 MHz

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
None, but if the operator has even the slightest clue, they will research how to stay in their lane.
I'm skeptical. Some of the issues with CCRs require a spectrum analyzer to be seen. How many hams have an SA? How many hams would interpret what they see on an SA correctly? I've taken my SA to hamfests and shown people how bad their CCRs are. Many of them simply did not care and said they'd keep transmitting with them anyway.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm skeptical. Some of the issues with CCRs require a spectrum analyzer to be seen. How many hams have an SA? How many hams would interpret what they see on an SA correctly? I've taken my SA to hamfests and shown people how bad their CCRs are. Many of them simply did not care and said they'd keep transmitting with them anyway.
Problem is today's YouTube ham doesn't want to hear about rules, not being a lid, or responsibility. They just want to hoard a bucket of Bowelturds for the "zombie return" and somehow their magic road apple radios will save the day. You know, the same road apple radios that rely on someone else precision and expensive strategically placed infrastructure to support.

No one likes being told no, especially the modern YouTube ham guy/gal.

rescuecomm

Yeah! Presumably they are spending their real money on things that will keep themselves alive during the "real zombie return"! You know, like maybe food and water! Are you sure that having four APX8000 radios with four spare batteries each will materially increase ones ability to survive hurricane zombies, social injustice zombie mobs, or protected grid down thug preppers?

Just asking because I don't want to spoil the anti-cheap radio rant. Excellent posts though.

dickie757

Wired
I was trying to be all philosophical and she-it, giving the benefit to the ones that want to learn.

Be aware...car analogy....how many of us started driving a Ferrari while learning? No, it most likely a Ford or Honda or Toyota. Or a better comparison... Hyundai or KIA. Elecrafts, Flexs, Motorola are in the Ferrari category obviously. Kenwood, icom, yaesuck, in the Acura/Lexus/Audi category. Alinco, Anytone in the HondaToyota cat. Once (if) they get the bug, they'll upgrade to the Porsche, based on my path. I'm more at the Acura level with my gear.

A bit of prying...why do you have a sa?

rescuecomm

Just to be the devil's advocate, what evidence that the importation of cheap mildly out of spec radios has made the VHF/UHF spectrum usless? I think the migration of public safety to 700/800 mhz trunked digital systems was more a sales coup for big M and others in the business. I've not heard about anyone going before a Senate/House committee complaining about intermittent emitters causing major problems.

Seems to be a big deal on the hobby forums.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just to be the devil's advocate, what evidence that the importation of cheap mildly out of spec radios has made the VHF/UHF spectrum usless? I think the migration of public safety to 700/800 mhz trunked digital systems was more a sales coup for big M and others in the business. I've not heard about anyone going before a Senate/House committee complaining about intermittent emitters causing major problems.

Good question.

Locally we've had issues with them popping up where they don't belong. Cheap radios in the hands of the masses that will work on public safety frequencies. Users assume it's "OK" because they bought them on Amazon, or believe those on the internet that convince them that "anything goes" and the "fcc doesn't care". Large forest fire a few years back. Fire Department had a real issue with people popping up trying to "help" or asking questions. Enough that the fire department is looking seriously at going trunked/encrypted to get away from it.

I've had them show up on one of the UHF systems I run. Users complaining about "crappy radio system" and didn't understand it was the $20 Baofeng, not the repeaters.

Not just a big deal on hobby forums, a problem that is spreading thanks to the internet.

As for Mother M and their sales tactics, that's an entirely different discussion.

prcguy

I’ve tested several Baofengs and a few were a couple dB out of spec on harmonic output. They were technically not legal to use but I don’t think anyone would ever notice or could accurately measure the problem at a distance, the radio needs to be plugged right into a spectrum analyzer or service monitor to see it.