404 Scanner- Lockout Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenInMA

I have a handheld RS 404 scanner that I bought on eBay. I downloaded the manual from the Radio Shack site and read it. I've been able to muddle through so far, and am happily scanning local police and fire departments.

But the scanner rarely works like the manual says it should. And I've looked through this forum but haven't seen this addressed.

In any case, I am using banks 1-4 so far. I've been unable to unlock individual channels using the L/O key. Now I want to use bank 5 but the whole bank is locked out AND the L/O key doesn't unlock individual channels on unlocked banks.

If I try to scan the bank as is, the display reads ALL ch L-out.
If I go to an individual storage channel, the display shows L/O and pressing the L/O key gives me one single beep.
I tried to remove all lockouts. I can't even replicate the keystrokes now, but if I pressed a certain sequence the display shows FLo EMPty.

How do I get the lockout to work properly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

It never responds like it says it should on pages 30-31 of the manual.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
For bank 5, sounds like there are no frequencies programed in the channels.

You might also have the keyboard locked which will keep almost all keys from responding.

KenInMA

Thank You

Thanks for the reply. The keyboard is not locked out.

I must have forgotten to hit the program key before trying to enter frequencies in this bank. I was still in MAN mode and when I entered a frequency it just beeped. I assumed it was a lockout problem.

It works fine if you hit PGM first! Duh, what a dummy!

It still won't accept the Mass. State Police frequencies I found here in the database. Is that because it's a trunked system? I haven't learned much about trunked systems yet. I don't even know if this scanner can access trunked systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.