President Lincoln II Plus (V3) 10 and 12 Meter Digital Ham 50 Watt Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircatheavy

Considering purchasing this. $250 USD
This would be my first Ham Radio Transceiver. It will be used at home, in Florida.
I have a Ham Radio FCC License already.

Is this a reasonably good selection at this price?
I'll also have to buy an antenna. (I'm clueless as to what to buy) Will I need a separate antenna for my aircraft band scanner?

LINCOLN II + V3, 10 & 12 Meter Transceiver
Ref.: TXUS041P
- Rotary switch and Up/down channel selector
- VFO Mode
(continuous scanning of 24.890 Mhz to 24.990 Mhz and of 28.000 Mhz to 29.700 Mhz)
- Volume adjustment and ON/OFF
- RF Power
- Manual squelch and ASC
- Multi-functions LCD display
- Frequencies display
- S-meter
- Public Address
- Vox function (Hands free)
- ANL filter , NB and HI-CUT
- RF Gain / Mike gain
- Clarifier
- Channels and memories scan
- 6 Memories
- CTCSS (38 tones)
- DCS (104 codes)
- Dim
- MENU fonction key
- Beep Function
- Roger Beep
- Mode switch AM/FM/LSB/USB/CW
- Dual watch
- Key locking
- SWR (Power Reading /SWR)
- Preset emergency (EMG 1/2) (Programmable)
- TOT (Time Out Timer) adjustable
- Front microphone plug
- External loudspeaker jack
- Customizable by software

Last edited:

bharvey2

You didn't mention your license class (tech, general, advanced) While this could be used for any class, its usefulness for a tech is extremely limited as a tech has limited SSB phone privileges in 10 meters only. A dual band 2M/70cm would probably be much more useful in my opinion. Furthermore, 10 meter activity isn't at its best as propagation is not great these days.

aircatheavy

You didn't mention your license class (tech, general, advanced) While this could be used for any class, its usefulness for a tech is extremely limited as a tech has limited SSB phone privileges in 10 meters only. A dual band 2M/70cm would probably be much more useful in my opinion. Furthermore, 10 meter activity isn't at its best as propagation is not great these days.

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a General License (but admittedly haven't looked at Amateur radio in many years)
Which band is most useful today?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Don't waste your time. Yes, it is a "ham radio" but it largely just used by CB radio operators illegally. It also only covers 10m and 12m, which are largely dead right now due to the conditions. You're going to be listening to a lot of empty static, unfortunately, and that will turn you off to HF.

Most useful? 20m, 40m, and 80m are what I would consider to be the most useful, 20m and 40m more for DX. Not sure what your budget is, but you should really be looking at a real HF radio, even if used.

bharvey2

As I mentioned just to get started a 2M/70cm dual band could get you off and running at least for local contacts. If you want to get in to HF, a full range (160M to 6M) rig would give you the most options but the cost of admission will be higher. How much real estate you can devote to an antenna will have some bearing on it as well. As Alcahuete mentioned, the 20m, 40m and 80m bands are the most popular. If you're up for a new purchase, an Icom 7300 or or a Yaesu FT450D can be had for <$1000. If not, a decent used one may be to your liking. A lot depends on what you'd like to do.

Golay

You can get DX activity on 10. A few of the club members ragchew throughout the day on 28.400 USB, which is the 10 meter calling frequency.
It will open up for them, and they work DX. So hook up the President, park it on 28.4. You may be pleasantly surprised.

aircatheavy

Would something like this do?

Kenwood TS 520SE

I can find these for under $300

I'm not enough of an enthusiast in Amateur radio (yet) to spend a whole lot.

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
I'd pass on the 520...too old. Get your self an Alinco DJ-500T handi and program a few repeaters and simplex frequencies to see if you like hamdom. If you don't, you're only out $100.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Before you spend any money, you need to figure out where your interest lies. As @bharvey2 mentioned, 2m/70cm is a popular choice if you want to use repeaters, possibly DMR radios with hotspots, etc. If you are interested in DX then you should be looking at HF. There is just so much you can do with amateur radio that there is no one size fits all radio. And of course, the antenna system is going to be vastly different. HF, you're going to need at the least a large wire antenna, with VHF/UHF, you might get all the enjoyment you want out of a handheld radio. It just depends.

Me personally, I would not buy that 520SE. Just way too old, lacks a frequency readout, etc. It's an incredibly old radio. But again, you really kinda need to figure out where you want to start in amateur radio and go from there.

prcguy

I can't imagine anyone buying that radio for amateur use, its marketed for CB. For a little more money you can get a good used HF rig or HF/VHF/UHF. An Icom 706 series is not that expensive and will run circles around the Lincoln in performance and power. Same with a Yaesu FT-857 with 100W HF, 2m and 440, I sold a nice one not long ago for $375. There are many other very capable rigs for good prices used, just look around.

aircatheavy

I have a Uniden BC72 handheld scanner and a few UV-5R handheld radios.
Could I use either of these to listen in on some of the HAM bands?

aircatheavy

Both will listen. The UV-5R can be programmed to talk on 2m and 70cm.

It was mentioned above that 20m, 40m and 80m are the most useful bands.
Can either of these receive those bands?

It's been years since I used either and I've honestly forgotten. I guess I could research it.
Thanks

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
It was mentioned above that 20m, 40m and 80m are the most useful bands.
Can either of these receive those bands?

It's been years since I used either and I've honestly forgotten. I guess I could research it.
Thanks

No, those are HF. The scanner might cover 10m, but I don't remember, and I doubt it does SSB, which is what the majority of communications will be on 10m. They both cover 2m and 70cm, which is where the repeaters are.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for the reply. I have a General License (but admittedly haven't looked at Amateur radio in many years)
Which band is most useful today?
All good information on radios so I'll comment that you might want to check the expiration on your license. Easy to overlook...

Good Luck
Mike

bharvey2

Since you already own a UV5R get a programming cable if you don't own one. That will be much easier to use than front panel programming. Using the radio programming software CHIRP: Home - CHIRP and using repeaterbook.com as a reference, you should be able to get yourself up and running on a few local 2M/70cm repeaters. Even if you don't currently have the cable, you should be able to get one to your doorstep for $20. - Far from the best solution but it's cheap and easy. If you want to get in to HF, there are much better options than the Lincoln. For the price of one you're well on your way to a decent used multiband HF radio that will cover a lot more territory.

900mhz

This radio does not appear to be FCC type accepted. It is more like a bastardized CB radio. I would steer clear of this for amateur use.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
An FCC equipment authorization (aka, type acceptance) is not a requirement for a transceiver designed or marketed for use in Part 97. However, many amateur radio transceivers have an FCC equipment authorization as Part 15 devices and a Part 15 grant may be required if the transceiver can scan the VHF or UHF bands.

The issue with the Kenwood TS-520SE, in addition to its age, is the fact that it's a "hybrid" radio. All of the electronics in that radio are solid state except for the driver and power amplifier section which uses vacuum tubes. Old tube equipment requires some special care and feeding to make sure that the equipment is not damaged.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
Agree with the caution on older rigs...especially tube rigs. Replacing tubes can be pricey, and 30+ year old radios generally need to be recapped and aligned. If you are not well versed in that process, expect to pay an additional couple of hundred dollars for a recap and alignment, as those old caps will fail at some point.

Many people suggest the old Icom 706MKIIG (it was a decent rig 20 years ago), but fail to mention that most of those radios were manufactured with now- obsolete final transistors. If you smoke those finals, it‘s a doorstop unless you are willing to convert an older 706 to accept the replacement transistors, which was costing north of $500 at one time, according to Scott Malcolm’s website. I haven’t looked at it in years, but would expect it to still be expensive.

Use caution when looking at used Yaesu FT8x7 models (857, 897). The screens go bad and it becomes difficult to read the display, and I believe Yaesu was charging a few hundred dollars to replace the screen. Also, I believe there as a potential crystal filter failure as well. I suspect the nearly 20 year old design will be retired soon, and then Yaesu will likely drop all support and parts.

As for the radio you asked about, since you are aware of it’s band limitations (10-12m...and yes, 11m if you can perform the modification required), I would guess you are ok with that, and if so, the new President Electronics radios are actually well manufactured when compared to other models in that market, and can provide useable service on the 10 &12m ham bands for a low cost. Otherwise, the best value in a new HF rig is probably the Yaesu FT-891 selling typically for less than $600.

aircatheavy

Thanks for that. Good info.

Yaesu FT-891
Looks like $620.00 is about as low as they go. (ebay)

If I'm just wanting to occasionally listen in to HAM I'm not sure if I want to go that deep just yet.

Maybe a receiver only for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.