limited ID search within a trunk system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I would like to see a feature added in a scanner that could be capable of doing a talk group ID search
that would be like the limited frequency search found on a lot of scanners !
for example.. lets say you want to search for a new ID or ID's in your city and lets say just for example
only, that most of the talk group ID's for your city start at the low number of 3301 and end in 3475, you could go into a limited ID
search mode and put the low ID as 3300 and then enter the high ID as 3500 so then this search feature would find
new and all talk groups on that trunk system then could be added to a scan list !
as far as i know this feature does not exist in any current scanners ? but i think it would be cool if this could be a
new feature in the future

Reconrider

Most trunking scanners search tgids VERY quickly. Limiting yourself to 200 tgids that might be in that range would be kind of dumb. What I do for my trx and sds is avoid/lockout the tgids already found and then use wildcard/id search to find anything new. Make sure you record so you can listen to them later and figure out what/who they are.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why you would call that dumb but i kind of expect that kind of reply from
people on this site !
but thank you !

Reconrider

I don't understand why you would call that dumb but i kind of expect that kind of reply from
people on this site !
but thank you !
Why would I want to only scan 200 possible tgids when I can scan all 65000 minus the few that is already known.
You expected it because you know that you're limiting yourself to only 200 possible new tgids when you can be everything minus what's known.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
remember how you used to search for new frequencies in a limit search ?
well now ID's are somewhat like frequencies a limit ID search with
a lockout feature could search for talk groups and you could lock out the ones
you have already identified but that is just an idea i had dumb or not

Reconrider

remember how you used to search for new frequencies in a limit search ?
well now ID's are somewhat like frequencies a limit ID search with
a lockout feature could search for talk groups and you could lock out the ones
you have already identified but that is just an idea i had dumb or not
It's a good idea don't get me wrong.
But when you search for new frequency stuff, you don't need to put all frequencies in like you would for a tgid hunt.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why you would call that dumb

While I think the word "dumb" probably isn't the most appropriate, it would be limiting your search and you might be missing other important TGIDs that are in your area. Just because you know your area is using 3300-3400 what if there is an agency using 5000 that is not part of your local agencies (pd, fd, ems, public works) but is a state agency or federal agency. Back in the old days, when we searched for freqs, and knew PD was on 154.xxx we still would search other bands in hopes of finding something new. A wildcard search for your system would be a lot more practicle and may provide a better view of what is really being used on your tower, and is quick.

Additionally, while it may be a good idea, the majority of scanner users wouldn't use a feature like that or would it be a big draw for additional scanner sales, so from a financial stand point would not be a benefit to the manufacturers. I know I wouldn't limit the search range for TGIDs, if I was just searching the 46xxx range my county uses I would be missing the new TG of 52742 I found this morning.

Just my opinion

phask

Premium Subscriber
It can be done, no idea why anyone would want to.

Enter all the TG's outside of your desired search range and avoid them. Then run your ID search,

Using Proscan and Excel it would take me 10 minutes to set up.

phask

Premium Subscriber
It can be done, no idea why anyone would want to.

Enter all the TG's outside of your desired search range and avoid them. Then run your ID search,

Using Proscan and Excel it would take me 10 minutes to set up.

It would be easier to just log all and sort and check logs for TG's within that 200 item block.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree - trunked systems are a whole different creature from conventional systems when it comes to scanning. The methods for one do not apply to the other.

Assigning talkgroup identification numbers is a lot more arbitrary than assigning frequencies in days of old.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I would like to see a feature added in a scanner that could be capable of doing a talk group ID search
that would be like the limited frequency search found on a lot of scanners !
for example.. lets say you want to search for a new ID or ID's in your city and lets say just for example
only, that most of the talk group ID's for your city start at the low number of 3301 and end in 3475, you could go into a limited ID
search mode and put the low ID as 3300 and then enter the high ID as 3500 so then this search feature would find
new and all talk groups on that trunk system then could be added to a scan list !
as far as i know this feature does not exist in any current scanners ? but i think it would be cool if this could be a
new feature in the future

:unsure: Or just add those 200 TGIDS in the 'range' to your programming and log them...

marksmith

There are a variety of much less restrictive methods to accomplish what you are describing.
Many of them have been discussed in the responses. For that reason, and because Talk Groups are an inherently different animal than conventional frequencies, nobody is going to create such a thing in their operating software.

Status
Not open for further replies.