Location Control vs Location Control Off and range question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elambright

Premium Subscriber
What happens in the following scenario? Scanner is set to Location Control OFF. Range is set in scanner to 0. My location is just outside the 25 miles.

Geocoded data in database shows system range set to 25 miles. Often the geocoded data does not match the license shown at the FCC nor does it indicate the actual distance from the transmitter that the signal could be received. So, I believe the system would be scanned with Location Control Off assuming the favorite list was selected. However, because the range in the geocoded database is only 25 miles what happens if I'm monitoring just outside the 25 mile radius with scanner range set to 0. Obviously the signal strength is there to hear the transmission.

See attachment. It's scenario B that I'm interested in when Location Control is off. Do I hear it or not? My initial reaction is that it gets scanned because Location Control is OFF but you get no audio because the Geocoded data is at 25 miles.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 13

toad99

Premium Subscriber
You should hear the system if the signal is strong enough. If you decided to use location control, the geocoded system range (25 miles, in this case) would need to intersect the range you set in the scanner. If the scanner's range is set to 10 miles, for instance, and your range circle intersected the system's 25 mile circle, then you would hear the system IF you are using location control. If not using location control, ranges don't mean anything to the scanner.

RBMTS

You're not stating if this is for the full database or a favorite list. I'll assume this is for a favorite list. If "Location Control" is off, your scanner will attempt to receive the frequencies or system in that favorite list regardless of whatever geo-coding is in the system. The full database is going to still be zip code or location specific.

The only thing you can is experiment and try it. See what works for you. Your receive antenna, the users or system power, terrain, etc will all play a factor of what you will receive from anywhere.

phask

Premium Subscriber
One thing to remember. Range (both in the scanner and in the RR database) does not indicate the distance one can receive the signal. It should indicate the area that signal is supposed to cover. City, county, state, etc.

If the geolocation is outside the range, the scanner will not load that data. You won't receive it even if possible because it does not load.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Location Control is a setting for a Favorites List in the options tab. If set to No (or Off) that means the Favorites List will be on regardless of your current location. For example you have a FL created for Los Angeles and you are in New York. The FL will be on.

Therefore Range is moot because the Favorites List is on (unless the Quick Key is Off, Monitor is Off, etc., etc.) and your scanner will attempt to receive the system.

The Range concept was a way of managing what is loaded into the scanner and what the scanner attempts to receive. One of the RR rules is that Departments/Systems have their Ranges set to their jurisdictional boundaries and NOT radio coverage "footprint".

I'm about 40 miles away from a city having a very strong transmitter. I can receive their signal and the meter shows 5 bars on my scanner. However, because the city has a 10 mile Range in the database, I would be "locked out" from receiving it without changing Range settings (or leave Location Control Off for the Favorites List that includes this city). I am locked out because I am 30 miles out of Range.

Range values and Location based scanning is complex and takes, as noted above, a lot of experimenting to grasp the full concept of how all these moving parts work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.