Luzerne County P25

cpg178

Is there any updates on the Luzerne County P25 system, I know it was delayed due to COVID, but has anyone had any luck picking anything up as they test it as they are supposedly setting it up currently?

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Last article I saw was saying mid-late 2021 but I believe they’re still building towers, so....

I don’t believe they’re re-using any existing frequencies and I’m terrible with the FCC database searching but as far as I can tell I haven’t even found an application for frequencies unless anyone else on here is better with this and can find something I missed.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Is there any updates on the Luzerne County P25 system, I know it was delayed due to COVID, but has anyone had any luck picking anything up as they test it as they are supposedly setting it up currently?
[/QUOTE]

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Meanwhile our awesome County 911 leadership has much more serious issues they are dealing with.
Never mind that the cost of the new radio system has climbed from 20 million to 25 million, is already a year delayed, and they have such a shortage of poorly trained and underpaid dispatchers that it seems like some of them may as well change their address to the 911 center's address.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
System will consist of 16-17 total sites split into two simulcast cells: 10 subsites in the North Cell, 6 subsites in the South Cell. The location of the 17th site is unknown and not shown on this map. I don't have much more info than that, other than 161.850 and 161.8125 will be part of the North Cell, and 161.925, 161.8875 will be part of the South Cell, the county having acquired those four frequencies from Motorola.

1616363570453.png

cpg178

System will consist of 16-17 total sites split into two simulcast cells: 10 subsites in the North Cell, 6 subsites in the South Cell. The location of the 17th site is unknown and not shown on this map. I don't have much more info than that, other than 161.850 and 161.8125 will be part of the North Cell, and 161.925, 161.8875 will be part of the South Cell, the county having acquired those four frequencies from Motorola.

View attachment 100907
Thanks for the map. They have a website where they post quarterly newesletters and according to the most recent one they are finalizing the FCC frequency allocations. Soon as that is published I plan to start running the software to start picking up the TGs and see what we got.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I have the few known frequencies in a spare 436 along with a general frequency range search on another spare for months and still haven’t heard anything. I’d probably eventually try that dongle thing everyone does on the state system and see if that improves my luck but I have zero idea how to do that so I’ve just stuck with the spare 436.
Also with work being so busy I haven’t run any calls in a while to ask anyone direct at my station but from talking to officers from other stations as recently as last month they’re still in the dark on a status or timeframe of a testing period or a date to go live. So basically BAU for the county. With the year ¼ over and not much info being relayed yet I don’t know how much of a chance they have hitting their end of year goals.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Yeah. I have it bookmarked. Unfortunately not being active currently in my department I don’t have a login to get to the “sign in” parts of the page. Those I know that are still active haven’t heard anything as far as a timeline yet (as of March when I last asked).

This includes some that are officers as well as those not having white hats or red lights. So it seems as if the communication is as super as always on the county end.

cpg178

As soon as the frequencies show up in the FCC database i'm ready to start scanning them with SDRTrunk and Unitrunker, granted wont be much activity at first if any at all.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I have the partial list in and ready to go. Once the full list is out I’ll update it and dedicate an old used mostly for travel scanner to start listening for activity. From the sounds of things that I’ve heard recently they better get moving before the current system completely melts down.

cpg178

Is anyone aware if any of the channels are even broadcasting data yet? Want to start using SDRTrunk but am not sure if I will be able to get anything from Scranton

cpg178

Is anyone aware if any of the channels are even broadcasting data yet? Want to start using SDRTrunk but am not sure if I will be able to get anything from Scranton
I can actually see the towers from the Campbells ledge site from my back porch so this shouldn't be an issue, will try running SDR trunk with the two freqs that GTR posted above and see if I get anything.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I can actually see the towers from the Campbells ledge site from my back porch so this shouldn't be an issue, will try running SDR trunk with the two freqs that GTR posted above and see if I get anything.
Assuming you already own some SDRs, you *could* use a program like SDRSharp to analyze the spectrum, looking for control channels around 161 MHz.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The frequency of - 161.925 is overwhelmed here in Shavertown by the national weather service frequencies.
Then you will need a very good receiver, and possibly a good directional antenna aimed at a donor site.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I haven’t heard anything yet. Not to say I’m not missing something since I don't have it as a main priority to monitor (yet).

This is the first P25 I’m monitoring from the build out. The rest I’ve listened to have all already been in existence. What’s a normal timeline like for these to build out fully and test? Just under half of a year to go to hit that EOY deadline. The clock is ticking.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Depending on the complexity of the project, sometimes they can take 5 years or more. If you can find a Capital expenditure budget for the county, they typically include a year-to-year breakdown of the funding for the project. You can extrapolate a timeline from that.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I read the RFP this morning and it indicates pretty ambitious coverage goals, particularly for VHF: 95/95 portable on hip with RSM inside of above grade buildings. Site density seems to support this goal; I wish them well. The consultant's report indicated substandard installation and maintenance techniques were used in the legacy system, and were supposed to be corrected in Phase 1 of the project. MCM also recommended reassigning frequencies to minimize co-channel interference and adding RF filtering where appropriate. This should help with adjacent channel interference. The new system design recommends a 5 zone system for police and fire, and a single zone for EMS. This should not be confused with the two cell simulcast implementation mentioned above - the zone structure will be implemented via tgs and subscriber programming.