Blue Tail P25RX on Raspberry Pi 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqseeker

I have set up a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB ram to control my 3D printer. I was impressed with the little computer and wondered what else I could use it for.

I setup a micro SD card with stock Raspberry Pi OS. I then tried running BTConfig software. I have never used a linux based computer so I was surprised how many steps it took to make it work. No double click to open. Lazy Windows user... To someone familiar with linux it would have been less than 5 minutes. I'm sure I'm doing it the hard way, but it is working great.
It froze upon first reading the P25RX. I tried again and it worked. It has been running for over an hour now. Haven't tried onboard audio yet (baby steps), but BT is working fine.
I am concerned with the power required as the pi 4 comes with a 3 amp supply. I will run it and see any issues arise. This is a good remote project.

Off topic for this thread but I tried the same pi 4 with Windows 10 and it works surprisingly well. I tried running ProScan web server with a SDS200 over ethernet and it works for a few minutes and then loses connection. I may go back to see if I can get it to work.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You may not have seen it in the old main thread, but "Typical current with Bluetooth disabled is 320 mA, and 475 mA with Bluetooth enabled". You might find that helpful as pi's can be very picky with power requirements. Cool to hear you got it working though. Hard to beat a pi for some things.

freqseeker

You may not have seen it in the old main thread, but "Typical current with Bluetooth disabled is 320 mA, and 475 mA with Bluetooth enabled". You might find that helpful as pi's can be very picky with power requirements. Cool to hear you got it working though. Hard to beat a pi for some things.
Thank you for that. I did do my own measurement and it was close to that if I recall.
I let it run on the pi for several days without a problem. I just ordered a type C power meter, I will measure the combined draw of the pi and the P25RX.
I'm very impressed with these little computers.

freqseeker

I let it run on the pi for several days without a problem. I just ordered a type C power meter, I will measure the combined draw of the pi and the P25RX.
I finally measured the power draw of the PI 4 and P25RX.
PI 4 using wifi, P25RX using bluetooth Canakit power supply rated at 3.5amp. Voltage is stable at 5.16V, max draw is 1.42A. Well within the operating spec of the supply.
PI 4 on ethernet (wifi off) P25RX wired to speaker (bluetooth off). 5.16V and 1.32A max draw.
PI 4 idle with BT Config open and P25RX unplugged. 5.24V and 0.61A max draw.

FP761

Premium Subscriber
I finally measured the power draw of the PI 4 and P25RX.
PI 4 using wifi, P25RX using bluetooth Canakit power supply rated at 3.5amp. Voltage is stable at 5.16V, max draw is 1.42A. Well within the operating spec of the supply.
PI 4 on ethernet (wifi off) P25RX wired to speaker (bluetooth off). 5.16V and 1.32A max draw.
PI 4 idle with BT Config open and P25RX unplugged. 5.24V and 0.61A max draw.
I may try the Pi 4, along with the Pi Display in a stand that houses both Pi and Display. I had previously attempted a P25 SDR Receiver and was not pleased with the performance, so I still have the hardware available. Have you been happy with the performance using the Pi with the P25RX and are you running the Pi with linux or WIN-10? I was not aware a Pi could run WIN-10.

freqseeker

I may try the Pi 4, along with the Pi Display in a stand that houses both Pi and Display. I had previously attempted a P25 SDR Receiver and was not pleased with the performance, so I still have the hardware available. Have you been happy with the performance using the Pi with the P25RX and are you running the Pi with linux or WIN-10? I was not aware a Pi could run WIN-10.
I ran the PI for several weeks including doing firmware updates with the P25RX. It worked just as well as my windows computer.
I am using raspberry pi os formerly known as raspbian. I'm new to the PI so I assume you could call it linux.
I gave up on Windows 10 for now. Ideally I would like to make a ProScan server out of one. The stock os works great with Blue Tail and java. I need to learn how to make a simple executable down the road.
You can search Youtube for installing Win 10. It's a work in progress but does work surprisingly well. I will give it some time and try again if they get it more refined. These are cool little computers, I would like to utilize them more.

Reactions: btt

FP761

Premium Subscriber
I ran the PI for several weeks including doing firmware updates with the P25RX. It worked just as well as my windows computer.
I am using raspberry pi os formerly known as raspbian. I'm new to the PI so I assume you could call it linux.
I gave up on Windows 10 for now. Ideally I would like to make a ProScan server out of one. The stock os works great with Blue Tail and java. I need to learn how to make a simple executable down the road.
You can search Youtube for installing Win 10. It's a work in progress but does work surprisingly well. I will give it some time and try again if they get it more refined. These are cool little computers, I would like to utilize them more.
Ok, so I will try it running Linux. Thanks!

Reactions: btt

HWG

I saw your post where you measured power draw. I am interested to know what kind of load is put on the Pi 4 itself in terms of system resources. I'm wondering if it would require a PI 4 with 4GB or if the 2GB version could handle it. I doubt any of the earlier Pi's that only had 1GB would be up to the task.

freqseeker

I saw your post where you measured power draw. I am interested to know what kind of load is put on the Pi 4 itself in terms of system resources. I'm wondering if it would require a PI 4 with 4GB or if the 2GB version could handle it. I doubt any of the earlier Pi's that only had 1GB would be up to the task.
My first Pi 4 was a 4GB version. It ran the java app just fine. I moved the 4GB to run my 3D printer full time. I'm now using the 8GB for P25RX, but the 4GB did just fine.

freqseeker

Dang, you went whole hog, or should I say whole Pi. I have a few Pi's around but haven't justified to myself buying models over $35.
That's why I don't play golf, I would get carried away.
I didn't need 8GB but I'm hoping to get Windows 10 ProScan server working good. I like to learn so I plan on doing other projects.

Reactions: HWG

HWG

That's why I don't play golf, I would get carried away.
I didn't need 8GB but I'm hoping to get Windows 10 ProScan server working good. I like to learn so I plan on doing other projects.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I just haven't talked myself into it yet. And for Windows, having more RAM is always a good thing. There are so many things to do with Pi's. I got into them using them as cameras. Then Wyze Cams came out. But I digress. I like this Pi project with the P25RX and will be watching to see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.