IC-R8600 Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Just received my IC-R8600. As you know, it does not come with the programming software. It looks like there are 2 software available, one from Icom (CS-R8600) and one from RT Systems (WCS-R8600)

I have the RT System software for the IC-R30 and IC-9700. It does the job but i can't say that it's an impressive software. The ICOM software is a lot more expensive when compared to RT Systems.

Do nay of you use the ICOM software and is worth the price ?

Thanks
Sylvain

N1FKO

Premium Subscriber
The RT Systems software is useful if you need to do a lot of bulk edits on your frequency database. Unfortunately, it's inexplicably slow and has been known to trash the radio settings. The RR import feature is very limited compared to GRE/Whistler EZScan.

The ICOM software is fast, stable, and fairly simple. Rather expensive for what it does.

Worth mentioning, the radio interface itself is quite versatile. I find it faster to do small edits right on the radio - much faster than dealing with a computer. You can also backup to the SD card - no computer necessary.

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Have had my 8600 and CSR8600 software for over a year and very pleased with it. Editing is a breeze.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Have had my 8600 and CSR8600 software for over a year and very pleased with it. Editing is a breeze.

Do you know of a place where you can buy and download the software ? In this day and age i can't believe that you actually need to buy the CD in order to get the software.

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I do not know. I would be leery in downloading anything from anyone. I purchased my program from Universal Radio. The program has a product ID you have to register in order to use.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I do not know. I would be leery in downloading anything from anyone. I purchased my program from Universal Radio. The program has a product ID you have to register in order to use.

Thanks

Sylvain

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Icom software is sometimes not available. I ended up with the RT Systems package because the Icom was not available from any trusted vendor at the time.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
The Icom software is sometimes not available. I ended up with the RT Systems package because the Icom was not available from any trusted vendor at the time.

DX Engineering has it in stock, i'll order from them

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) sells ICOM's software for the IC-R8600 receiver.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Go with the Icom software it works well
never had a problem .

Willy_Pete

The comments about this software being hard to obtain are valid. I'm in Australia and ended up sourcing from the USA. Would have preferred to have supported the local vendors but they couldn't provide a reliable delivery date. I have both the Icom and RT Systems software but haven't used the latter as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.