Antenna for new F150 aluminum body

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu81fitter

What do you want to listen to? The best option is to drill a hole in the roof for a NMO mount. You may be able to use a bracket of some sort off the side of hood, but the reception won't be as good.

Yocuz

Premium Subscriber

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What about a galvanic action between the typical "brass" mount vs. the aluminum sheet metal over time? Seems you'd likely lose the ground connection.

Galvanic action occurs when two electrochemically dissimilar metals are in contact and a conductive path occurs for electrons and ions to move from one metal to the other. One metal corrodes as its ions are deposited onto the other metal.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
What about a galvanic action between the typical "brass" mount vs. the aluminum sheet metal over time? Seems you'd likely lose the ground connection.

Galvanic action occurs when two electrochemically dissimilar metals are in contact and a conductive path occurs for electrons and ions to move from one metal to the other. One metal corrodes as its ions are deposited onto the other metal.

That subject was beat to death in several other threads here. Galvanic action requires a chemical like road salt to occur. Very little road salt is ever deposited on the roof of a vehicle. We’ve been mounting NMOs on the roofs of aluminum bodied ambulances and fire trucks since the mid-1970’s with no galvanic action issues even after 15+ years of service.

I live in upstate New York where road salt is heavily used. We don’t see this issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What about a galvanic action between the typical "brass" mount vs. the aluminum sheet metal over time?

Glavanic corrosion is only an issue if the mount is exposed to water. The dry interior of a truck isn't an issue. Also, the aluminum is coated. Unless you regularly spray lots of water inside the truck, that's not ever going to be an issue. I did 2 NMO mounts on a 2011 F150 and when I sold it in 2018, there were zero issues.

As Steve said, this has been beaten to death over and over, it's not an issue. Many fire engines and ambulance bodies are aluminum, and have been for a very long time, and no issues there, either.

2017 and 2018 F-350's, also, a couple of those with NMO mounts, no issues.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You also need to look at where the two metals meet on the galvanic response chart. I "believe" aluminum and brass have a low risk of galvanic corrosion.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What Antenna can i use for new F150 aluminum body ?

So, back on topic...

Pretty much anything other than a mag mount. But you don't want to slap mag mounts on a nice truck anyway. Might as well do it right.

I did a write up on my Crew Cab 2011 F150. The bodies are still similar enough that you could do a search on that thread. I put an NMO mount dead center on the roof, and another one towards the rear of the cab.

I know some others have posted photos of their 2018 F-150's.

Essentially, if you want this to work well, do the NMO mount. Smack in the center of the cab roof. Do it right the first time and you won't regret is. Cable routing is easy on these full size trucks.
Power your scanner right off the battery so you have clean/quiet power.

Install a quality NMO mount antenna, like a Larsen NMO-150/450/756 and you'll be all set. No second guesses, no wishing you'd done it right the first time.

K7MFC

WRAA720
My 2019 F-150 write up might be a good reference for you:

On, @mmckenna's recommendation, I used Larsen mounts with Larsen antennas (and then a Larsen and Comtelco antenna). The installation was not really any different than my 2013 F-150 with a steel body.

CanesFan95

I've wanted to do this, but fear how difficult it is to lower the headliner. If it wasn't for the headliner being hard to get inside of, I'd have no issue drilling the holes.

firemun

Feed Provider
I've wanted to do this, but fear how difficult it is to lower the headliner. If it wasn't for the headliner being hard to get inside of, I'd have no issue drilling the holes.
The headliner is no problem. Take the 3rd brake light out, you can see exactly where you can drill. The headliner is 1 piece formed board. You can route the cable around the back of the cab and around the trim with no issues at all. I installed a NMO 800 antenna in my 2018 F150 in less than 30 minutes start to finish with cable routed to dash. I also mounted and NMO on the edge of the left fender opposite with the FM antenna is and am using a VHF 1/4 wave. No issues with SWR from the A post and no issues running cables.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
You really don't need to drop the headliner. In addition to pulling the 3rd brake light, you can usually drop the center dome light. The pull the gasket off the door frame along the head liner and part way down the B post. Now you can easily slide a fish tape up between the headliner and the roof and route your antenna coax as needed.

If you use the 3/4" NMO specific drill bit with built-in stop, or if doing a 3/8" NMO using a 3/8' bit with stop collar, you can safely drill through the roof without hitting the headliner.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I have not had to drop a headliner to do an install since 2009, and that was only because there was a sun roof installed.
No reason to drop the headliner on one of these trucks to do a simple NMO install.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
The headliner on the 2015+ F-series trucks is beyond easy to lower. A couple screws to remove the visors from one of the front corners, two 10mm bolts holding the a-pillar trim on, and loosen the gasket around the door jamb and you can lower a corner enough to do anything you want.

2009-2014 F-150 is NOT an aluminum body (source: the truck outside that had a magmount all the way to AZ and back...not my truck so no NMO).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
2009-2014 F-150 is NOT an aluminum body (source: the truck outside that had a magmount all the way to AZ and back...not my truck so no NMO).

You are correct. I think I was confusing it with one of my other trucks.

Either way, the aluminum isn't an issue unless someone wants to use a mag mount, but there's no helping those sorts of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.