longitude & latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebloggs

I am a newcomer to scanning and have just purchased an SDS200E. When I manually enter the location latitude it asks N or S when it should be E or W. The same with longitude, it asks E or W when it should be N or S, Is there a solution?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I think you may have it reversed.
The scanner or software is correct in what it's asking.

Latitude is a measurement on a globe or map of location north (N) or south (S) of the Equator.
Longitude is measured 180° both east (E) and west (W) of the prime meridian.

Ubbe

have just purchased an SDS200E.
You only need to input your position if you have frequencies that are configured with lat och long. I don't know how much of the location control that actually works in the E models. One guy took his SDS100E to US and scanning from the database locations did not work, it was disabled in some way.

/Ubbe

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I think you may have it reversed.
The scanner or software is correct in what it's asking.

Latitude is a measurement on a globe or map of location north (N) or south (S) of the Equator.
Longitude is measured 180° both east (E) and west (W) of the prime meridian.

That site is a little incomplete in its explanations. In some cases, including the ITU databases, longitude is measured between 0 and 360 degree going east from 0 degrees---thus 300 deg (going east understood) is the same as 60 deg W.

Also, note that some databases (including ones here) also as saying things like "-77 W" which should just be "77 W" which is in fact the same as -77 E. In actuality, -77 W is 77 E.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That site is a little incomplete in its explanations. In some cases, including the ITU databases, longitude is measured between 0 and 360 degree going east from 0 degrees---thus 300 deg (going east understood) is the same as 60 deg W.

Also, note that some databases (including ones here) also as saying things like "-77 W" which should just be "77 W" which is in fact the same as -77 E. In actuality, -77 W is 77 E.
That's all true.
I'd only added that link right after I made the post so the OP had something to look at for basic reference. I figured the link provided the OP with enough info to see their mistake.

I do agree that some of the ways Lat/Long info is displayed can be confusing when you look at the many different variations used as you pointed out.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
That's all true.
I'd only added that link right after I made the post so the OP had something to look at for basic reference. I figured the link provided the OP with enough info to see their mistake.
I do agree that some of the ways Lat/Long info is displayed can be confusing when you look at the many different variations used as you pointed out.

I really do not know a good comprehensive link on the topic.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
If you REALLY want a deep dive into it maybe this will help.

In my quick glance, that is mostly about the related mathematics but does not discuss the different format issues to which I was referring.
By the way, I actually have a PhD in mathematics (KSU, 1981) and do not need help myself on the topic being discussed but was referring to a page that might help others deal with format type issues in which they have trouble.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I am a newcomer to scanning and have just purchased an SDS200E. When I manually enter the location latitude it asks N or S when it should be E or W. The same with longitude, it asks E or W when it should be N or S, Is there a solution?
Latitude should be N or S and Longitude should be W or E like you are seeing in the scanner. Why are you thinking the opposite?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I always remember them by "ladder"tude - like the rungs of a latter going side to side, or east/west.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Latitude is always first with longitude second.

Maybe that's why you got confused, since you had them reversed.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Latitude is always first with longitude second.

Maybe that's why you got confused, since you had them reversed.

Actually it is not "always but almost always as a convention: I have part of the ITU Master file on this PC and it lists longitude before latitude in the entire database. For example, WWVH on 10 MHz in Hawaii is at 156°27'00"W 20°46'00"N in that database. Back before the PC data, (I have a paper copy from then), it lists this as 156W27 20N46 (as it does not list seconds).

Also when using UTM (availble on any good GPS), another way to give position (there are calculators to go between DMS, i.e. Degrees-Minutes-Seconds, and UTM) which is used a lot in surveying and in even Search & Rescue (I am a volunteer with the local sheriff dept. SAR), "Easting" is ALWAYS before "Northing" (after a grid square designator). The same is true for MGRS (Military Grid Reference System). One should always use the letters indicating N or S and E or W when using DMS. And should use similar for UTM in case someone should forget. (With MGRS, the numbers are in a single string with the Easting ALWAYS before the Northing).

paulears

Surprised nobody mentioned decimal vs minutes and seconds. However, he’s probably googled it, realised he asked the question, and hidden away!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.