JNCR System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’ve noticed a trend with this system. Now let me just say I live near Dahlgren across the river in Maryland and can receive the system full scale with no issues what’s so ever. Hell I carry a handheld around the yard and still get it full scale. Sometimes the system stays for days with no issues but at times it’s there and then poof it will have little to no scale with no activity. It sometimes goes off the air it seems during the day and back on at night but that can’t be true because they need to use their radios. I’m wondering if perhaps the system has some settings to reduce signal at times ? Can a system do that ? Would maintenance on the system cause this ? I think this is where the main hub is. I’m aware that the bases signal is primary to only cover the base but again I’m not that far. I didn’t hear it during the day but I am tonight full scale. At one point I didn’t hear it for 2 days. Any help on what could be going on here with this system ? I’m certain it isn't my scanners or my location or a control channel issue.

Thank you

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I’ve noticed a trend with this system. Now let me just say I live near Dahlgren across the river in Maryland and can receive the system full scale with no issues what’s so ever. Hell I carry a handheld around the yard and still get it full scale. Sometimes the system stays for days with no issues but at times it’s there and then poof it will have little to no scale with no activity. It sometimes goes off the air it seems during the day and back on at night but that can’t be true because they need to use their radios. I’m wondering if perhaps the system has some settings to reduce signal at times ? Can a system do that ? Would maintenance on the system cause this ? I think this is where the main hub is. I’m aware that the bases signal is primary to only cover the base but again I’m not that far. I didn’t hear it during the day but I am tonight full scale. At one point I didn’t hear it for 2 days. Any help on what could be going on here with this system ? I’m certain it isn't my scanners or my location or a control channel issue.

Thank you
I believe you are seeing what is referred to as "idling" of the transmitter when no traffic is being broadcast. Which is a great idea. Think of it as your car engine slowing down on the RPM when you are sitting at a stoplight waiting on the light to change.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are seeing what is referred to as "idling" of the transmitter when no traffic is being broadcast. Which is a great idea. Think of it as your car engine slowing down on the RPM when you are sitting at a stoplight waiting on the light to change.

Thank you for responding back to this, it’s just weird because the system would always show full scale writher they were talking or not.and I’d hear activity around the clock. It only seems to be full scale when they talk and would show little to no signal when they aren’t.

I haven’t heard any activity on the system this morning. Hopefully it’s just matainence and it will turn back to normal soon.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
Update - here are some pictures of what I’m seeing. I also have confirmed I’ve been missing some transmissions as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

So how does this "idling" work? Does it reduce TX power (I'd guess not as that would affect coverage)?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Can you provide some documentation on this feature? I've never heard of such a thing with P25 systems, however I'm much more familiar with ASTRO 25 systems vs Harris or other manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.