NJSP Auto Crime Task Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic_lantern

"No one is arguing that detective, or investigative or tac channels SHOULD BE encrypted.

Just about EVERYONE agrees that regular dispatch Police channels SHOULD BE in the clear. "

Managing a system with the number of various user's this system has is just too complex to pick and choose, It's just easier for the staff to do all or none. even if over the air programming ever works as sold it would still require a staff just to maintain E alone not including managing every other aspect of the system. If you ever worked for a govt agency that uses tens of thousands of radios and associated infrastructure you would know what I mean. also many times, much more than what a salesman will tell you all these radios lose the keys from time to time causing another issue. If you know how govt. agency's work every thing that is done requires a large staff to accomplish. keep in mind the people managing the system are people who scored a certain level on a civil service exam or were assigned the duties for political reasons, only a minuscule number of them are "foamers" or "scanner nuts"

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
I understand your position, which is probably shared by a number of technicians and communications design engineers and personnel.

My comment is strictly from the position of a "scanner nut, radio enthusiast, and long life radio hobbyist", And I think this forum is primarily inhabited by persons sharing my interest.

ansky

I understand your position, which is probably shared by a number of technicians and communications design engineers and personnel.

My comment is strictly from the position of a "scanner nut, radio enthusiast, and long life radio hobbyist", And I think this forum is primarily inhabited by persons sharing my interest.

Honestly it's a just a matter of time before it won't matter anymore. Scanning will become a dying hobby as younger people just aren't into it the way most of us got into it as kids. I remember getting my first scanner at 8 years old. Today young people don't even listen to commercial FM radio, let alone have any interest is scanning.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Honestly it's a just a matter of time before it won't matter anymore. Scanning will become a dying hobby as younger people just aren't into it the way most of us got into it as kids. I remember getting my first scanner at 8 years old. Today young people don't even listen to commercial FM radio, let alone have any interest is scanning.
Bye bye radio reference. 😒

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber

Hey I'm a millennial

NParkNJ

On the Road
Hey I'm a millennial
x2 on that. It's definitely a niche hobby. But for what its worth, having a few decent scanners, and radios for receive only are just the part of it.

Meetups(how I met some folks here), and getting the info(painfully waiting sometimes for a single transmission), etc etc are also what make it fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.