• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MASTR II VHF mobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I was at a swap fest this past weekend and some guy had 3x 110W VHF GE Mastr ii's. He was about to throw them away, so I had to step in and make sure that didn't happen. He also gave me 3 empty GE cabinets with doors. I know there are several on the air as repeaters throughout the US. With them being so old is it worth the time to convert them? Or should I just take all 3 PA's and use them some how....Interested to see what some of yall have done with yours over the years?

merlin

There actually are some master II repeaters still in service, mostly in the ham arena.
The mobiles are certainly a worthy radio. Combining 2 PAs you could have a powerhouse like 150 watt continuous duty. The receivers have great sensitivity, image rejection, and IP3 levels. You got a bargain.
I know I sure could use a cabinet, they are near unobtanium today.
Check out repeaterbuilder website, that can give you ideas.

12dbsinad

The cabinets are worth more than the Mastr II's IMHO. Certainly sounds like the price was right. Mastr II's are very robust machines, and great performing don't get me wrong. Obtaining temp compensated Xtals are now a thing of the past and with synthesized gear so cheap now, well it's kinda a no brainer. My last set of Xtals to be re-rocked and compensated cost me 300 bucks before they went out of business... and that was just for a set of ICOM's. For a little bit more you can step up to a older Mastr III and still have a great rig.

techman210

Your challenge is getting crystals and ICOMS as 12db already mentioned.

You can make this happen with a Prog Rock with some Rube Goldberg engineering. Better to use what you have as a PA and incorporate newer technology.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
There actually are some master II repeaters still in service, mostly in the ham arena.
The mobiles are certainly a worthy radio. Combining 2 PAs you could have a powerhouse like 150 watt continuous duty. The receivers have great sensitivity, image rejection, and IP3 levels. You got a bargain.
I know I sure could use a cabinet, they are near unobtanium today.
Check out repeaterbuilder website, that can give you ideas.

Mostly but not only in amateur service. A mine I worked at had an 800 MHz MASTR II in service as recently as last year. It may still be in use.

WX5812

The cabinets are worth more than the Mastr II's IMHO. Certainly sounds like the price was right. Mastr II's are very robust machines, and great performing don't get me wrong. Obtaining temp compensated Xtals are now a thing of the past and with synthesized gear so cheap now, well it's kinda a no brainer. My last set of Xtals to be re-rocked and compensated cost me 300 bucks before they went out of business... and that was just for a set of ICOM's. For a little bit more you can step up to a older Mastr III and still have a great rig.
I have a Mastr iii vhf repeater on the air right now

WX5812

Your challenge is getting crystals and ICOMS as 12db already mentioned.

You can make this happen with a Prog Rock with some Rube Goldberg engineering. Better to use what you have as a PA and incorporate newer technology.

That’s is absolutely brilliant! Thanks for showing me that!!! That is a game changer for sure! I can just program that too whatever Crystal frequency I need for these radios instead of having to buy each of them at $100 a pop. Thanks again that’s exactly what I was looking for!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I was at a swap fest this past weekend and some guy had 3x 110W VHF GE Mastr ii's. He was about to throw them away, so I had to step in and make sure that didn't happen. He also gave me 3 empty GE cabinets with doors. I know there are several on the air as repeaters throughout the US. With them being so old is it worth the time to convert them? Or should I just take all 3 PA's and use them some how....Interested to see what some of yall have done with yours over the years?

Totally worth the time. The Mastr II makes a fantastic repeater. I've had one running on VHF for the better part of 20 years and still going strong. Solid and reliable.

The wonderful thing about them is that they're relatively easy to make into repeaters, and being mostly discrete components relatively easy to work on.

I'm working right now with a group that has a low-band Mastr II station they want turned into a 6m repeater; apparently I'm the only one in the area any more with any Mastr II knowledge...

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Totally worth the time. The Mastr II makes a fantastic repeater. I've had one running on VHF for the better part of 20 years and still going strong. Solid and reliable.

The wonderful thing about them is that they're relatively easy to make into repeaters, and being mostly discrete components relatively easy to work on.

I'm working right now with a group that has a low-band Mastr II station they want turned into a 6m repeater; apparently I'm the only one in the area any more with any Mastr II knowledge...

Sometimes it sucks being the SME.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Wasn't it the Mastr II's that were modular in that you could remove one side and replace it with another band? I think a local was making split site repeaters by replacing the receiver in one and the transmitter in the other with a UHF transmitter and receiver.

12dbsinad

Yeah, if it involves more than plugging in a programming cable and getting the software to work the new generation doesn't have a clue.
Even with all the advances you still can't beat a properly tuned helical front end. Very sharp, not like the funnels of today's machines.

A local ham repeater that was a Mastr II station got replaced on a hill with about 10 towers and RF galore. High power radio stations, TV, paging, etc. They replaced it with a Kenwood NXDN repeater. Needless to say the thing instantly took a dump, couldn't handle it. Plugged the Mastr II back in and it's been running ever since.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Wasn't it the Mastr II's that were modular in that you could remove one side and replace it with another band? I think a local was making split site repeaters by replacing the receiver in one and the transmitter in the other with a UHF transmitter and receiver.

Yes, one of the groups I was with up in Columbus did that. We used brown-handle UHF Mastr IIs and swapped a VHF receiver and preselector in place of the UHF receiver. They made fantastic remote receivers for the repeater.

Some people opined that using so much power on the UHF links to the repeater would not work and that one should always use minimum power on those links, but I always found the opposite. We turned the PAs down to about 50 watts, but using that much power ensured that the signal into the voter receiver was solid copy, and that any noise the voter heard was in fact on the signal received at the remote site, not noise on the link itself.

Yeah, if it involves more than plugging in a programming cable and getting the software to work the new generation doesn't have a clue.
Even with all the advances you still can't beat a properly tuned helical front end. Very sharp, not like the funnels of today's machines.

Programmable is fine if it's a mobile or desktop radio with a need for a bunch of channels, but a repeater is just going to sit there at the site on one frequency; I'd much rather have a solid, reliable crystal-controlled station with a quality PA and excellent preselector, especially at a remote site with a bunch of co-located transmitters amping up the noise floor.

A local ham repeater that was a Mastr II station got replaced on a hill with about 10 towers and RF galore. High power radio stations, TV, paging, etc. They replaced it with a Kenwood NXDN repeater. Needless to say the thing instantly took a dump, couldn't handle it. Plugged the Mastr II back in and it's been running ever since.

A bunch of groups around here did that when Yaesu was dumping their Fusion repeaters on the market for $500 each; several of them replaced perfectly good Mastr II (or Micor) repeaters which were running perfectly (and had been for years) with those pieces of garbage. They found out pretty quickly that you can't run a Fusion repeater at full power continuous duty very long without it dying. They all ended up spending a fortune on 100 watt PA decks (and preselectors in some cases) to get even close to what they had with the Mastr II and Micor stuff (which they had unfortunately already got rid of). Dopes.

Last edited:

prcguy

I would never convert Master II mobiles for repeater use because there are countless real Master II continuous duty repeaters out there for sale cheap these days. I helped build up a fleet of Master II GMRS repeaters in the 80s and 90s on some of the busiest and most congested mountain top repeater sites in So Cal like Mt Lukens, Santiago Peak, Sierra Peak and Palos Verdes. Our repeaters were purchased used after a long life of public service and they never failed.

I was also the maintenance/repair guy for a commercial 31 repeater fleet consisting mostly of Master IIs and some MSF5000s and I only know of one of each type in the system that ever needed repair of any kind. One of the UHF Master IIs at a very busy site was originally installed with a 3 can duplexer and it just worked great. Any lesser quality repeaters at the same site needed a lot of extra preselection in front of the receiver or they had to be on a master receive antenna with a very expensive front end to survive.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I would never convert Master II mobiles for repeater use because there are countless real Master II continuous duty repeaters out there for sale cheap these days.

I agree, but I'm talking about 20+ years ago. Even so, it's easier to get hold of a mobile than a station; stations cost a fortune to ship, while you can walk away with two mobiles (one in each hand) for a few bucks at a hamfest. Fortunately I have a couple of stations squirreled away just in case.

It's a moot point, really; as noted by someone earlier, all the appliance operators out there these days want programmable plug-and-play. Not too many people want to take the time these days to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.