Wash. County frequencies to listen to

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanturpin01

I have an amateur radio(kenwood TM-V71A) and would like to know of some up-to-date frequencies in the area to program, besides ham repeaters. The database here seems outdated. My radio has a wide band receive on it so I can get 118mhz - 523mhz - 800(non trunked) -1300mhz analog.

Thanks for any feedback!

Sean

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The database here seems outdated.
It appears Washington County operates on this trunked radio system which your amateur radio cannot track. There are also a number of analog frequencies here but the locals would have to chime in if any are still active or you could simply plug them in and listen for activity if within range. At the very least you'll need a scanner radio which can pick up P25 Phase-I to track the aforementioned TRS. Any scanner listed here should do the job

Last edited:

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a ham radio operator anymore. Used to be back in the 70's and early 80's. A lot has changed. There may be meetings of local ham operators in the area you may want to attend. As I remember some are open and some are closed meetings. They have been a valuable resource for me in the past for many answers. Just a thought.

If your interested there are probably some of the older SRS repeaters still tied into the 800 mhz system you might still get near the 155.xxx band analog. Scan a few and see what you get.

seanturpin01

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger and got the sds100. I scanned for a while on on and tmv17a and only pulled a couple law enforcement frequencies and a weird murs/gmrs frequency on 151.185. I don't quite understand it. Seemed like a repeater with a node connected because I was hearing guys in Vegas and Henderson talking and I'm in st George. Their call signs are gmrs call signs. That frequency is so close to an murs channel, that I could hear it barely off frequency on one of them.

Anyways, I am a ham radio operator and I got a file from a local ham that has tons of frequencies he's found on his same ham radio I have. I'll need RT systems to fully program them but for now I'll just manually program some. (The ease of Kenwoods menus and manual programing!)

Whiskey3JMC thank you for that list of scanners. I did some research and came out finding the sds100 and sds200 are superior in my opinion, especially for simulcast.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I have both the sds100 and 200 and sentinel software has saved my butt.

Make sure you give it a go. Update the firmware and download the newest copy of the database and force write it to your scanner.

On the analog system UCA is running I find my old Pro 197's actually handle the simulcast much better than either the 100 or 200 - your mileage may vary. I would like to try both Whistler TRX1 and 2 to compare but not willing to fork out over a grand just to test.

Good luck with the new 100.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Ham frequencies may pull up Vegas and even the cactus link innertie from California and Arizona in Washington County, as well as the the central Utah link thats statewide as well as maybe even the snowbird system. As far as public safety u will also pick up a Vegas system off of Utah Hill(for now EDACS) in st George, and maybe a couple other systems on the beaver dam sites, some phase 1 some phase 2 digital. If your interested in business frequencies dmr and nexedge may also be pretty popular down there as well but for the sds100 it requires a paid upgrade, some ham systems especially in slc are on dmr..just my 2 cents

The statewide system UCA is in the process of switching to a phase 2 digital system, the licenses have been submitted through fcc but not active yet, a couple more years or so, then they might be up....

Hooligan

I scanned for a while on on and tmv17a and only pulled a couple law enforcement frequencies and a weird murs/gmrs frequency on 151.185. I don't quite understand it. Seemed like a repeater with a node connected because I was hearing guys in Vegas and Henderson talking and I'm in st George. Their call signs are gmrs call signs. That frequency is so close to an murs channel, that I could hear it barely off frequency on one of them.

These notes are about SEVEN YEARS OLD:

MURS Idiots

Use “Free Radio Network” internet-based linking to CB, VHF & UHF frequency nodes around the world.

Martin Pfefferkorn (KD7RGC) – ham callsign mailing address is his mother’s house: 2758 Ridgeview Drive Santa Clara 84765 Martin’s FRN “City Node” is located there, using a mobile antenna mounted to a rooftop air conditioner. Drives a Dodge Ram 2500, Utah Y9109LT, dark green. Utilizes a 2-meter ham radio modified for out-of-band transmit, also a SSB-capable CB radio (modified for out of band transmit) in his vehicle. A 2002-era address for Martin was 519 S 100 E Ivins. https://www.qrz.com/db/KD7RGC'

Older (2002 era) address: 519 S 100 E in Ivins.

Martin is originally from Buedingen (near Hessen) Germany. Moved to USA in 1999. Probably born in 1978. Has a brother who is also a ham. Martin works day shift at the Walmart Distribution Center, getting off work at about 4PM. Seems to currently live in Brookside/Veyo area or possibly Gunlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.