436 or 325 handheld..which is better for air freq.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarrico2

Premium Subscriber
I am looking into a handheld that I can listen to 119. Freq with occasional digital. I am torn between these two radios. Battery life an such isn't a big deal. Apco 25 is in my city also. I would say the air freq is more of a priority. Thanks in advance

marksmith

Either radio will do what you want. If air is the priority you will need to get a new antenna for each, as the standard antenna is a try to do everything antenna that is aimed at an average frequency higher than the standard air band, and works best in the upper VHS, UHF, and 700-900mz range.

The decision between radios depends on how much you want options like recording, full inboard database, and other options that use an SD card.

If you don't want those options, which come with maintenance of an SD card and the issues that presents, then get the 325.

If you want those options, get the 436.

Either radio is equally capable on receive. One other item, owning both, I find I carry and use the 325 as a portable more. The 436 is portable, but twice the size.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

mcarrico2

Premium Subscriber
I was just researching and some said vhf sucked on the 436. Size is not really a problem. I usually sit it on a night stand and such.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
The 436 has more filters, So when you do add a outside air band antenna, it will preform better.

The only reason to get the 325p2 over The 436, is size, as The 325P2 is very portable, fits in your front pocket.

The 436 is bigger, but has many more features.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I am looking into a handheld that I can listen to 119. Freq with occasional digital. I am torn between these two radios. Battery life an such isn't a big deal. Apco 25 is in my city also. I would say the air freq is more of a priority. Thanks in advance

Both will work fine for air band. If the air band frequency has low audio you can boost the level with the 436. You can also record and play the audio back. Battery life is a little better on the 436 also. I also like the display the 436 has.

mcarrico2

Premium Subscriber
I guess either will be an improvement from my sport cat I had when I was a kid....lol. And the airstrip I want to monitor is like 300 yards from my house literally.

baayers

If you are using an outside antenna either scanner will do a good job. If you are looking to use a rubber duck antenna then the 325 hands-down.

mcarrico2

Premium Subscriber
I am still undecided however I am ordering one today. Was just curious how these compare to the whistler 1040...I can get it for under 200 shipped. I know this is the uniden page just curious...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am still undecided however I am ordering one today. Was just curious how these compare to the whistler 1040...I can get it for under 200 shipped. I know this is the uniden page just curious...
The WS1040 would work for your air frequencies, as well as P25 Phase I systems. However, it will not handle Phase II P25, which is what many of the newer or upgraded systems are using. The 325 and 436 both handle Phase II.

Essentially, the WS1040 is the same scanner as the GRE made PSR-500 (Radio Shack version Pro-106). Whistler also produces the WS1040 for Radio Shack as their model Pro-651. Any comments, good or bad, about one of these models would apply to all of them (except, of course, for the occasional truly defective unit).

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I have the 436 and listen to air band quite frequently. Not at all disappointed in the performance, operating handheld or mounted in my car. For handheld use, I've had very good results with a Diamond RH77CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.