BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 436 stops receiving after half an hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have a guy I am helping on the phone who is blind and he reports that his 436 stops receiving after 30 minutes or so. Turning the radio off and on again seems to make it start working again. It is a new radio, he has just had it a week.

While he cannot see the display he is pretty sure that the radio is still on, it just stops receiving after some period of time. He can go into the menus and hear the beeps to confirm the radio is still powered on.

I have never head of this happening, nor has any of the guys in the office. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Two possibilities:

1. The radio is "hanging" on a channel for some reason. Sometimes when the radio gets garbled data from a control channel (like missing the end of transmission data due to noise or interference) it will stop scanning. Or it could be hanging on a dead carrier. When this happens, rotating the selector knob in either direction will "unstick" the radio and it will resume scanning. If this is the case, someone sighted will need to look at the scanner to see what channel is hanging the scanner, and decide whether an Avoid is appropriate.

2. Something is wrong with the SD card, and it needs to be reformatted or replaced.

paladin5150

Two possibilities:

1. The radio is "hanging" on a channel for some reason. Sometimes when the radio gets garbled data from a control channel (like missing the end of transmission data due to noise or interference) it will stop scanning. Or it could be hanging on a dead carrier. When this happens, rotating the selector knob in either direction will "unstick" the radio and it will resume scanning. If this is the case, someone sighted will need to look at the scanner to see what channel is hanging the scanner, and decide whether an Avoid is appropriate.

2. Something is wrong with the SD card, and it needs to be reformatted or replaced.

Agreed. Mine occasionally stops on a channel after approx 30 min. Your solution 1 solves this issues. But the hang needs to be corrected in the firmware.

BigC801

Mine does this quite often when I am holding on a talkgroup, after I push scan again it starts working.

Status
Not open for further replies.