SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 won’t receive but 436 hear the same channels next to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred1

The SDS 100 won’t hear New Castle Co. I have the 436 on next to it I is picking up the fire board great.
I get a weak signal from them. I am located north of the county in Chester Co. Pa. SDS 100 shows a good signal on the New Castle sight. It is better than the 436‘s signal bar of one. Is something not on that I don’t know about?

I only get signals off the New Castle simulcast site only. Thank.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
What antennas are being used on each radio? Also what type of system/frequency band/mode are you monitoring?

Fred1

Both radios have tuned antennas for the freqs.
The 436 has an old RadioShack remtronics antenna on it. The SDS has the new version of the remtronics model. I monitoring Motorola type 1 P25
simulcast.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
That seems pretty odd. By chance can you post a short video of this? My first thought is maybe your really close to a simulcast cell, so close that it's overloading the SDS a bit more than the 436. But that's only a guess. Also does your SDS sound better on other systems/sites?

Fred1

Yes, the SDS 100 sounds better on my home county‘s Harris system than the 436. The 436 does well for me when I am in Philly,

tvengr

Well Known Member
Are you using the same favorites list file for both scanners? Go to the File tab in Sentinel and Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to right click on the exported file and Send to Compresssed (zipped) folder to the able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Check the Squelch on the 100. Try lowering it to see if that helps, this may not be a useable solution but you can see if you receive the signal at this point.

Ubbe

I monitoring Motorola type 1 P25 simulcast.
That's a single frequency or trunked system? Enter that single frequency or the control channel, CHANNEL+frequency+CHANNEL, and set squelch to 0 and listen if there's a faint signal. Do Fn+7 to enable IFX to see it that improves the signal. Go into the menu and the filter setting in the Srch/CloCall Opt submenu and try different settings. If one of all settings will let you hear a signal then apply that setting to the site or department.

/Ubbe

Fred1

Thanks all for the help. The units are 2 ft apart. I didn’t program the 100, a merchant did it. A good merchant the are.

Fred1

Are you using the same favorites list file for both scanners? Go to the File tab in Sentinel and Export to hpe file (Favorites List). You will need to right click on the exported file and Send to Compresssed (zipped) folder to the able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.
Thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thanks all for the help. The units are 2 ft apart. I didn’t program the 100, a merchant did it. A good merchant the are.
There is probably a programming error with the SDS100. Using Sentinel, read the scanner and save the favorites list with New Castle County. If you attach a hpe file of the favorites list as I suggested earlier, I will be able to check for programming problems. I assume that is New Castle County in Delaware that is giving you problems. Delaware uses a Motorola Type II system for public safety and must be programmed as such. It also needs a custom 800 MHz rebanded band plan.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
This may be a stupid question, but no one else has addressed it yet. Did you accidentally press FUNCTION 4 and set it to attenuation then forget about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.