SPEN for Northern NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELITEscanner

Hey all
I am trying to find a SPEN frequency for Northern NJ (Essex, Morris, Bergen, Passaic, Hudson etc). Is it on NJICS or is it county specific (have to put one in for each county I want to hear?)

TIA for any info!

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Your question has many many ways to answer. Most all combinations of your question are in this forum. Try top right search this forum “SPEN”.

Bottom line a little of this and a little of that. Unlikely a one
size fits all answer to be found.

The NJ database has frequencies and PL for SPEN 1-4.

markjrenna

I use both SPEN 1 on Analog and I use Wayne's SPEN 1 Patch. Both provide great North Jersey coverage (for me).

ELITEscanner

I use both SPEN 1 on Analog and I use Wayne's SPEN 1 Patch. Both provide great North Jersey coverage (for me).
You know, I was thinking about it; and, I guess I really don't need a SPEN on my scanner because when something happens, it is put out on the towns that I monitor LOL. But, I am going to look at this recommendation..thanks!

ELITEscanner

Your question has many many ways to answer. Most all combinations of your question are in this forum. Try top right search this forum “SPEN”.

Bottom line a little of this and a little of that. Unlikely a one
size fits all answer to be found.

The NJ database has frequencies and PL for SPEN 1-4.
Thanks for the help! I was thinking about it; and, since the towns I listen too put out what is broadcast on SPEN anyway, I guess I really don't need to have that on my scanner.

ansky

The West Orange township TRS carries SPEN. That's an option if you are within range.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Spen is a complete joke, NJSP should have it like LERN Net in Hudson County - it would cut down on the clowns on it.

SPEN is a joke? SPEN1 It's in every scanlist of mine on every radio I own and is an invaluable. Maybe try programming the PL? SPEN is not NJSP. The acronym is "Statewide Police Emergency Network", a simplex, town-to-town hotline and is used ALL day long for BOLOs, pursuits, missing children/seniors and mutual aid requests/major events.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Correct SPEN is a joke, almost 100% UNPROFESSIONAL communications, playing moving clips, Adult movie clips etc etc. not to mention interfering with pursuit transmissions & Bolo's - been a radio professional a long long so I don't think you do want to enter a into a debate with me on the subject - better ways for interagency communications they should go PSIC it would be much better. Have an awesome day.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
LOL Clearly you're not a LAW ENFORCEMENT professional or you're just stuck in the 90's...

I'll drop a batch file of SPEN1 comms and we can discuss the "JOKE"s vs the life-saving communication system that it is.

robbinsj2

I think the original poster is really asking for law enforcement interdepartmental channels. SPEN is a subset of that but many counties have their own "hotline" or equivalent for things generally internal to the county. Depending upon the county protocol, the dispatcher discretion, the nature of the issue, etc., the message may go out over SPEN, the county "hotline," or both.

I encourage the O.P. to look here for channels managed by the state but also to browse database pages for counties, which ought to mention or link to county and state trunked systems when applicable.

Back when I monitored regularly it seemed to me that BOLOs and bulletins were sometimes relayed from the hotline to local units by data messaging so you may still find value in monitoring SPEN and similar channels. And SPEN is sometimes used by NJSP or DOC units to reach a local police department to call something in, which would not necessarily come over a hotline or a neighboring town's system.

Arkmood

Monitored an fbi agent on SPEN report an accident on the GSP to Trp.D Holmdel. Of course there was always: "Knock it off North Bergen" too...

mondaro

Feed Provider
I think my point is there better ways in the present day for SPEN interagency communications, never heard joking around on Morris County MIRS or Union & Somerset County Hotline talk groups, The fix would be Statewide PSIC, each radio with its own ID. also never claimed to be a law enforcement professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.