Contacting Ham operators without being one myself?

I only have an SDR (and a portable) reciever, so I'm not able to transmit, nor am I licensed. However, I have been picking up a lot on the ham bands. I came across this site to look up call signs: https://www.qrz.com/

It's a cool site, and I see people have logbooks, but unfortunately, I guess I can't participate since I'm not a ham. Is there another site like this where I could give reception reports to people, or just say hi. I picked up a guy in Slovenia this evening, and found him on the QRZ site, but no way to say hello. Or are the ham guys not interested in reception reports from listeners only?

RFI-EMI-GUY

It was quite the norm for shortwave listeners to send QSL cards to licensed ham operators. Use the RST method (link below). Make up a QSL card design that suits you and buy a few hundred..

I am partial to the CB QSL cards back in the day. Unfortunately many hams are not as amused.

1651715008020.jpeg

K4EET

Chaplain
Cool, thanks! So are many people still sending these QSLs by mail?
Like @RFI-EMI-GUY said, nothing like back in 1974 when I was first licensed. I would say I get 2 or 3 QSL cards a month in snail-mail when I am super-active (maybe 10 to 15 QSOs a day). Back in 1974, just about every QSO generated a card. There wasn’t all these electronic logbook and electronic QSL systems that we have today. As far as that goes, desktop computers and the Internet were still about 15 years away. 🤣 73, Dave K4EET

KC5AKB

Yes some folks still send qsl cards even SWL listeners . I help with a Few Ham Radio Special Event stations and we get some letters and qsl cards from SWL listeners.
Some of the SWL bunch even watch the dx spots for hams. We get reports from other countries and the USA.
The evening of May 20th and most of the day May 21st our group will be on the ham bands as K1A rembering our Veterans and their families for the upcoming Memorial Day from a State Park in Texas. There will be special qsl cards printed for the event.

SA4MDN

check the call sign on qrz.com if its listed more than likley there will be an e-mail addresse

I noticed that, but I think they restrict access. All I see is "ham members only" next to email. At any rate, I decided to just get licensed. Not sure how much talking I'll actually do, at least for now, since my antenna situation is not so great, but I figure it'll be good to have. At the very least, I can sign logbooks and stuff on QRZ.com. I'm going to take the tech and general tests in a few weeks.

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I decided to just get licensed. Not sure how much talking I'll actually do, at least for now, since my antenna situation is not so great, but I figure it'll be good to have. At the very least, I can sign logbooks and stuff on QRZ.com. I'm going to take the tech and general tests in a few weeks.
That's great, @SpaceForceCmdr! With respect to your antenna situation, just start out with a VHF/UHF handi-talkie (HT) since no outside antennas are required. You are most likely within range of some repeaters. Use RepeaterBook to get a flavor for what is around you before you buy the HT; especially if you are going to buy one capable of digital transmissions. They are not always up-to-date but it will give you an idea. Also check out some local ham clubs and see what repeaters the members use. Taking the Tech and General together? Awesome! With the General license, you will probably get bitten by the HF radio bug (3 MHz to 30 MHz) and even though you may think you are in a handicapped antenna situation, you'll be surprised what hams have come up with to work stations around the world with using low power transmissions of under 5 watts at that! The possibilities are endless!

73 my friend, Dave K4EET

Thanks! That is definitely something I'll look into. I suppose reaching other countries with just an HT isn't going to be possible?

I'm getting better at the General exam. Seems like there is a bigger variety of questions on that one. I've taken the practice quizzes many times, and there is still the occasional new question that pops up. The Tech definitely seems a bit easier to prepare for. At any rate, I only need to pay the 15 bucks, and I can take both tests, so why not?

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip>
I suppose reaching other countries with just an HT isn't going to be possible?
<snip>
Well, yes, for the most part. For the older analog FM technology, the answer is a definite yes. For the newer digital C4FM technology, the answer is a little more complicated.

There are multiple types of digital technology. Yaesu has what they call System Fusion. ICOM and Kenwood have what is known as D-STAR. There is also DMR, NXDN and P25. Commercial HTs come in the last three flavors. DMR Tier II capable HTs for Amateur Radio applications are made by Alinco, AnyTone, Baofeng, and Radiodity to name some manufacturers.

Now through an appropriately equipped digital repeater, a digital HT of the DMR, D-STAR or System Fusion variety, may be able to communicate worldwide if the repeater owner allows it. But you really need to get in tune with one or more local clubs to see what the members are using. One club might put up a DMR repeater, another club may install a D-STAR repeater and a third club May invest in a System Fusion repeater.

I’ll stop for now to see if you have any questions so far or if someone else wants to chime in.

73, Dave K4EET

<edit> I’m not an expert on P25 and NXDN so hopefully someone can help me out here as they apply to Amateur Radio.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. As you can tell, I'm very new to all this. I see the HTs are pretty inexpensive, which is nice. I am more interested in reaching out to other countries, and didn't look into transceivers much until now, but I see the price goes up quite a bit. Then, I'd have to sort out the whole antenna situation, which is a whole other problem at my current location. At this point, I think my only chance of going longer distances would be some kind of repeater. I was just reading about those, and was like, whoa, this is perfect for someone like me, but then of course I learned that these are not for HF. The digital repeaters are something I'll have to research.

On the bright side, it is nice that I can pick up a cheap HT and at least do something. I listen to all these hams checking in with Europe and other far away places, and think, wow, this is cool, but when I look them up on QRZ, I see most of them have quite the setup, including BIG antennas. Definitely not as simple as just picking up a HT!

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @SpaceForceCmdr,

One other thing that you can do with a digital HT is to also invest in a digital hotspot. The hotspot connects to your LAN and in a way behaves as your own personal repeater that is able to access virtually any talkgroup or room on a digital network worldwide. Unlike a repeater, you are limited in distance that you can be from your hotspot. Typically, you would be confined to your yard although folks have managed to talk further by tweaking their system. We can talk more about this too if you want to.
73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip>
I am more interested in reaching out to other countries…
<snip>
On the bright side, it is nice that I can pick up a cheap HT and at least do something. I listen to all these hams checking in with Europe and other far away places, and think, wow, this is cool, but when I look them up on QRZ, I see most of them have quite the setup, including BIG antennas. Definitely not as simple as just picking up a HT!
Before you buy a Baofeng HT or its equivalents, I want to encourage you to consider a much better HT that is not all that expensive. Take a look at the Yaesu FT-65R HT. Other hams will commend you for choosing Yaesu over a cheap Chinese clone.

As for picking up an HT and talking worldwide, with the right equipment, that is now a reality while relaxing in your favorite easy chair! It takes more expensive digital equipment but yes, an HT can communicate worldwide if you have access to the right equipment. Do you want to talk about this in more detail?

73, Dave K4EET

Thanks! I am definitely open to suggestions. I don't mind spending a little more if the quality is there.

It would definitely be cool to contact people outside the USA. If digital is the best bet for an "antenna challenged" guy like me, then it's worth looking into.

K4EET

Chaplain
Very well @SpaceForceCmdr,
<snip>
It would definitely be cool to contact people outside the USA. If digital is the best bet for an "antenna challenged" guy like me, then it's worth looking into.
Let me start by saying that going digital with a VHF/UHF HT and a Technician license, you can immediately start making long distance foreign (DX) contacts/conversations (QSOs) for less than $1,000 investment. To essentially do the same with HF, you ideally need a General class license and your overall investment for everything you need including using a 40 Meter through 10 Meter vertical antenna system in your backyard would probably be over the $1,000 mark.

One thing that I am thinking is perhaps you should start a new thread with both your snippet and my initial response above quoted in the new topic. I am already guilty of really straying far away from the thread’s title. We should not continue on this tangent. If you agree, please start a new thread like I suggested and we can go from there. What say?

73, Dave K4EET

That's good to hear (y) :cool: I will go ahead and start a new thread. Do you think this section we're in now (HF/MW/LW General discussion) is the best spot? I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself here, since I don't take the tests for another week and a half, but this is all good info to have. Picking up an HT right off the bat seems like a given because they are very inexpensive, but being able to really reach out with digital gear would definitely increase the fun factor. I'm sort of DX'ing now, but just receiving, and I've been writing down contacts that I hear in a logbook.

RichardW9RAC

I only have an SDR (and a portable) reciever, so I'm not able to transmit, nor am I licensed. However, I have been picking up a lot on the ham bands. I came across this site to look up call signs: Callsign Database - QRZ.com

It's a cool site, and I see people have logbooks, but unfortunately, I guess I can't participate since I'm not a ham. Is there another site like this where I could give reception reports to people, or just say hi. I picked up a guy in Slovenia this evening, and found him on the QRZ site, but no way to say hello. Or are the ham guys not interested in reception reports from listeners only?
It's how many of us started. I have gotten SWL cards from those who listen and at this point may not be able to join in the conversation but still enjoy it, both SSB and CW. This is an older post I realize, however I am hoping you still have interest and consider joining in the fun soon. 73 Rich
OLD SWL.jpgcatqsl.jpglightning card.jpgswlcard.jpg

Attachments

• W9RACCARD front.jpg
    W9RACCARD front.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: