• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NAS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpm

Ok set up my APX 1000 for a scan list/hidden talkgroup setup on STARCOM 21 and the CHGO OEC systems. Miss 20% of transmissions when scanning several systems. Is there a scan speed setting that would help with receiving all scan list talkgroups?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Of course you're missing transmissions. The radio has to scan between multiple control channels, pausing on each to look for grants, then moving on. The default dwell time per system is 2 seconds, which is really the lowest you want to set it at, otherwise you're going to miss even more activity. If it's that important that you don't miss transmissions, then you'll need more than one radio to monitor multiple systems.

jpm

APX 1000 have set up for the hidden talkgroups. When I scan two different system (towers) 10% of transmissions missing.

Should I change

Scan wide ---- conventional settings Time between priority samples (ms) set at 550 now -------- Change to a higher value?

jpm

Ok this is new to me trying to figure out if this can be fixed. I do know I'm missing transmissions just trying to have positive feedback to resolve. Yes I am missing transmissions as you stated and aware of this. Your not helpful if no positive resolver. But thx for chiming in I really appreciate it and enjoyed our conversation.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Nice attitude. I've already explained to you that there's really nothing you can do to "resolve" it, as scanning multiple systems requires the radio to dwell on each control channel for long enough to see talkgroup grants. When it's on one of those control channels, it has zero awareness of the other system. This is not like conventional scanning where it checks other channels for priority. Once the radio is dwelling on one of the trunked systems, it cannot and will not switch to the other system until it goes back to the other control channel. If one system is busy, it might be minutes before it goes back to check the other control channel.

The only solution is to scan only one trunked system per radio.

clbsquared

H
Ok this is new to me trying to figure out if this can be fixed. I do know I'm missing transmissions just trying to have positive feedback to resolve. Yes I am missing transmissions as you stated and aware of this. Your not helpful if no positive resolver. But thx for chiming in I really appreciate it and enjoyed our conversation.
GTR8000 gave you the answer to the question you asked. There’s not much else you can do.
Perhaps you should reach out to Motorola and see if they can assist you with a quicker scan rate for NAS between two systems.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Scanners such as all the models listed in your signature do the same thing. The scanner may handle this slightly better depending on how you setup each system in the scanner. Its the same concept, the more you scan the more you miss.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I have a scan list setup for monitoring 3 trunked systems, it's not ideal it won't get every transmission as it dwells between each systems control channel regulated by the System Search time under trunking scan settings but what it does is when a hot call comes up you'll know it by the action and then I have another personality scan list setup for each trunked system I can flip to after you hear some worthwhile action, that's as good as it will get without separate radios on each system

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Larger or multiple systems would need multiple devices. There is others such as harris or bk which allow straight forward no affiliate as well as unication but they also have limitations. Smaller systems nas will work pretty good specially on one system. Most legit subscriber command personnel prefer a second radio anyway as you can have all the bells and whistle in a 8000xe all band but have limitations per say. Many still believe in 2 to monitor in command levels who are legit subscribers. Most wouldn't need that however. None the less there is pros and cons with scanners and the nas method isn't exempt from cons. Both aren't flawless. Nas is a method you're tricking the radio to do something it wasn't intended to do to begin with.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Nas is a method you're tricking the radio to do something it wasn't intended to do to begin with.
That's a common misconception. In fact Motorola subscribers have had Multi-System Talkgroup scan type for decades. The Multi-System Talkgroup and newer Intelligent Priority in the APX series scan types were designed from the beginning to scan not just one or more trunked systems, but also a few conventional frequencies mixed in. The non-affiliate method (or more accurately non-registration) was just a workaround for not having to sit on a trunked talkgroup to initiate scanning, but at the end of the day it's really no different from what the radios were always capable of doing.

clbsquared

my APX 1000

and it sounds like directions for a uniden radio ???

What you’re being told is, a scanner will work better for multi system scanning. That’s what they are designed to do. Scan multiple frequencies and multiple systems at a very fast rate. Motorola radios and the like are designed to be “two way” communication devices, not scanners. Just because they have the ability to scan, doesn’t make them superior to a scanners capability.

wtp

yes, i know, i am not the OP.
it just sounds like some here are using uniden radio programming settings for the motorola.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
it just sounds like some here are using uniden radio programming settings for the motorola.
Which posts would those be? Every post I've read so far is applicable to an APX subscriber, not a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.