Favorite Philadelphia Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

domman27

Hi all!! I’m fairly new with a SDS100. I love using as background chatter while doing my college classes. What’s everyone’s favorite channels to listen to? Right now, I mostly listen to Philadelphia Fire/EMS and Police (including SEPTA Police). I’m looking for other cool channels that y’all enjoy listening to. Drop your favorites in the comments!

Thanks in advance

scannerrmn

Welcome, you might want to listen to the Amtrak police base in Philadelphia on 161.295 MHz. Also, I heard Amtrak police conversation on 160.365 MHz making station checks on the Keystone Line.

If do a search for new frequency you can check the FCC Database - General Menu License Search – By Site/Frequency.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I've been really tied up making a few extra bucks lately but when I get a chance I'll lay out a whole bunch of stuff for you in the Philly area. I just don't have time to do it now but I'm looking at tomorrow maybe. Been monitoring the area for about 56 years. I'll try to pull together what I can, lots of changes, but a lot of things stay the same. Sorry I can't do it now but... just wanted to touch base.

domman27

Hi, I've been really tied up making a few extra bucks lately but when I get a chance I'll lay out a whole bunch of stuff for you in the Philly area. I just don't have time to do it now but I'm looking at tomorrow maybe. Been monitoring the area for about 56 years. I'll try to pull together what I can, lots of changes, but a lot of things stay the same. Sorry I can't do it now but... just wanted to touch base.
Thank I’d appreciate that

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Philly Fire, Philly PD particularly M Band and J band- citywide bands and of course districts in and around where you live. SEPTA Police are interesting - a lot of nuisance crimes on there. Fortunately Philly does not encrypt their police radio. News Media can be interesting, regional rail and freight if you like trains. Marine frequencies and the government P25 System that the USCG is on.

domman27

I
Philly Fire, Philly PD particularly M Band and J band- citywide bands and of course districts in and around where you live. SEPTA Police are interesting - a lot of nuisance crimes on there. Fortunately Philly does not encrypt their police radio. News Media can be interesting, regional rail and freight if you like trains. Marine frequencies and the government P25 System that the USCG is on.
I haven’t been able to find regional rail on Sentinel yet

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Okay I'm back, sorry for the delay. I finished the project I was working on. I'm assembling a list of interesting stuff I listen to in the Philly area now.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20220518_094134.jpgPSX_20220518_093902.jpg

You can start with these. These are frequencies that I like and some of them are north of the city. To those aircraft frequencies you can add 122.725. Another common Unicom frequency. I guess you'll have to expand this oh, I couldn't fit it in.

Just to explain a few frequencies. The New Jersey forest fire frequencies are pretty active right now during fire season. The New Jersey State Police air and Marine are the old talk groups from the Type ll smart zone system that eventually will be phased out, supposedly later this year. You can find them on the P2 State system also.

The Burlington Bristol Bridge frequency is the old F2 and it is used on all of the Burlington Bridge Commission Bridges such as the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. The police are encrypted on their P2 system but they use this frequency more than they do the P2 frequency.

The Amtrak police frequency which I couldn't hear for a while but does work now with the pl tone of 100 is just for Cornwell Heights to Trenton. I recommend leaving the PL tone off and you will hear all Amtrak police within range including Philly.

The news Chopper frequencies are very busy every day. That BORO channel that you see is for Bristol borough oh, it's a private frequency they use car to car and you're probably out of range, it's pretty low power and it is off the county system which is encrypted anyway.

As far as railroad frequencies for SEPTA and Subways and buses. They're all there in the database. I live along the Northeast Corridor so I regularly listen to 160.92 from the city to Grundy and 161.010 from Grundy through Trenton and Points North. Harrisburg line is 160.635.

Have fun.. Bob.

domman27

I found the Coast Guard one once. But can't find it again. What category is it under?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just want to say
Check under "nationwide" and also I think under Pennsylvania Statewide there will be a listing for USCG Delaware Bay
Thank you Herb... as a long long time expert in this area that you are, I respect your reaction, thank you.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
I have both the 436 using it on the go and the 536 for at home. What I do is I have both units programmed the same...
Philly PD has 6 different setup East Districts, Northwest Districts, Northeast Districts, Central Districts, Southwest Districts, South Districts and a few city wide channels like Admin, Emergency and Traffic along with NARC, SWAT & Aviation... I have each set up on it's own favorites so they can be easily switched off and on depending on what part of the city I am visiting. The FD I have split up into 2 groups, North and South again to be easily switched.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You may have NARC, SWAT & Aviation in your x36's, but you will never hear any traffic on these talkgroups. They are strapped E.
I wasn't going to say anything but you're absolutely correct. Been listening to Philly for many many years, check out Post #13. Philly talk groups that are in the clear are just a given, didn't even bother mentioning them. ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.