• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS1500 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnasium21

Hi all,
I was considering becoming a feed provider on Broadcastify, and I have a spare Motorola XTS1500 that I would be interested in using to do so. Does anyone know if there is an accessory adapter to give a connection from the radio to my PC for the audio?

Thanks!!

a417

There will not be a "direct to your PC" connection adaptor, because that is just simply not what that unit is designed to do. It's been more than a minute, but my memory tells me that radios of that (ahem) vintage put external audio out on pin 2 on the side connector. I'd try to find an old speaker mic and lop the business end off it and use it for its connector... I'm not sure what kind of technical aptitude you have...You could also try to hunt down any of the earpiece adaptors for the Jedi radios and tap off that....

You're going to run a portable in a charger to feed broadcastify? I'd recommend a battery eliminator if you decide to do this.

I'd also get an external antenna up, that stock antenna would be in whatever room you have your power supply, charger, radio and computer and could pick up local interference, making the broadcastify stream sound poor...which wouldn't really benefit anyone.

I'm all for repurposing antiques to provide things, but this idea may be fraught with pitfalls you might not want to be jumping over. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right...this...iunno. If it was a mobile unit, I'd be cheering you on. They're designed to be statically mounted with hardwire connection points, they can usually put out flat/filtered audio, a portable is designed to be bounced around on a hip.

nikronzo

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.10.37 AM.png
echoing everyone else, this is your easiest option, I've done something like this to temporarily feed a zello stream and the audio was mediocre at best.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
To do it right, you would probably want to do a circuit to impedance match between the output of the radio and the input of your sound card. The radio was designed to drive a speaker mic and their earpieces at a certain level/impedance. Its likely these parameters are not the same as a sound card and thus distortion/level issues can be observed.

Also the earpiece output is mono, some devices do not like using a stereo plug on a mono jack. The ring could very well be grounding and when you insert it in a device that is stereo, the ring will still ground out and some amplifiers have issues with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.