Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk on a Surface with an RTL-SDR.

wgbecks

Some people have made mobile RPi3/4 receivers with op25
I'd like to add that this works amazingly well, especially in that the boatbod version allows you to set NAC 0x0 to facilitate scanning of multiple sites belonging to a wide area system. Just add a few additional control channels to your configuration to cover the adjacent sites and craft your white/blacklists according to your needs.

My mobile setups were built around the 7" touch screen enclosure with Bluetooth audio going to my car stereo, yet others have attached
small TFT displays to their Pi's as a means to visually monitor system activity.

KD2BNC

Premium Subscriber
A few years ago I built a mobile setup with with a Pi3 and it worked well. Mag mount antenna tuned to 700mhz on the roof. No screen since I only listened to one system so it was easy to setup OP25 to load automatically when the Pi booted. I used a Motorola speaker with a small 5v amplifier powered via USB.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I tried many of setups, Pi's Cheap Intel NUC's wit mini screens and finally decided and settled wih a cheap used ebay I7 6th gen laptop with DSD+ Fastlane. A cheap 1000 watt charger that plugs into a power point and all is well. nobody is in the passenger seat anyway

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I am 80% deaf so this w0rks best for me with a audio cable plugged into the stereo system in the car.

mgolden2

This sounds like a fun project. Does anyone have pictures of what they currently use, or what they used in the past? Thanks!

KD2BNC

Premium Subscriber
Here is a setup I built for a friend. This shows my original antenna but the Pi enclosure has the audio amp mounted directly to it. I whipped up an enclosure for the amp board on the 3D printer. The amp is also wired directly to the Pi, both power and audio. Yes, I was concerned with sucking too many amps away from the Pi but it worked without issue. The only other difference is the Harris speaker instead of the Motorola. I personally think the Motorola sounds better.
My dream with this setup was to be able stuff the setup under the car seat and have a remote head mounted on the dash. 307C5392-D7D7-4DE1-99F2-ECD91C3A8609.jpeg

KD2BNC

Premium Subscriber
Sounds a little crazy but I didn’t do anything to manage proper shutdown or power off. It powered off (hard shutdown) when the car turned off and powered up when I started the car. Worked fine. Both my setup and the one I built for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.