Question about Sevier County NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsquared

So I live in Knoxville but frequent Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg a lot. I hear some stuff with the scanner (sometimes even from my house in West Knoxville) but it's few and far between. I don't have the NXDN license on my my BCD436HP yet but am ready to purchase it. I see some police and fire on NXDN list so my question is, will the govt services already on NXDN be staying there and, will more be moving over to it or something else? $50 isn't breaking the bank but nothing else I monitor is on that system so I just want to make sure they're staying on it for the foreseeable future. Thank you.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
So I live in Knoxville but frequent Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg a lot. I hear some stuff with the scanner (sometimes even from my house in West Knoxville) but it's few and far between. I don't have the NXDN license on my my BCD436HP yet but am ready to purchase it. I see some police and fire on NXDN list so my question is, will the govt services already on NXDN be staying there and, will more be moving over to it or something else? $50 isn't breaking the bank but nothing else I monitor is on that system so I just want to make sure they're staying on it for the foreseeable future. Thank you.
I wouldn’t expect them to change anytime soon. Pigeon Forge of course uses TACN, but everyone else in Sevier County is on Land Air NXDN system along with Cocke and Jefferson counties. The biggest question is if they are using encryption or not. According to the database they are e but not E so it is possible you could still hear them.

Sevier Co is broadcasted online so you might want to hangout there and listen for any LE and FD traffic just to verify if they are in the clear before plunking out a Grant bill.

medic9351301

Banned
the only thing i have heard on the online feed is seymore fire. no other agencies. there a few conventional freqs in use there.
g'burg fire page out on way and the county law interconnect are the only ones i can think of

zachgallop

The talkgroups on the Land Air System that are used for Public Safety are completely encrypted. There is no way for the end users to turn off the encryption. The conventional NXDN frequencies for public safety for Sevier County were also encrypted when they upgraded a lot of the radios in Sevier County. They are programmed that way in the Sevier and Jefferson County radios. You can montior these in Sevier County for Public Safety other than TACN: INTERAGENCY (460.500), SEVIER FIRE PAGE, MED 9 (PAGING & BACKUP), SEYMOUR FIRE DISPATCH, and GATLINBURG FIRE RESCUE ANALOG (PAGING). Seymour Vol. Fire also uses TACN but it is used for secondary comms like talkaround and sometimes for incidents as well. GSMNP VHF frequencies are also a good one to program for Sevier County they sometimes repeat what comes across land air. They also have use of TACN which is linked to their VIPER Talkgroup.

Also, Cocke County Sheriffs Office can still be heard on their NXDN conventional frequency and their analog frequencies. Jefferson County Fire and Rescue agencies are still paged off their analog repeaters. You can also still monitor White Pine Police, White Pine Fire, and Baneberry Fire on NXDN conventional (Land Air is not their communications provider) within Jefferson County.

One more thing, I would keep an eye out for some changes because there is some talk of a user on the Land Air Trunking System leaving the system for the TACN system because the administration of that agency wants to be on the system that the Troopers use and have those type of radios. There is talk of it happening in a couple of years but nothing is official yet.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
The talkgroups on the Land Air System that are used for Public Safety are completely encrypted. There is no way for the end users to turn off the encryption. The conventional NXDN frequencies for public safety for Sevier County were also encrypted when they upgraded a lot of the radios in Sevier County. They are programmed that way in the Sevier and Jefferson County radios. You can montior these in Sevier County for Public Safety other than TACN: INTERAGENCY (460.500), SEVIER FIRE PAGE, MED 9 (PAGING & BACKUP), SEYMOUR FIRE DISPATCH, and GATLINBURG FIRE RESCUE ANALOG (PAGING). Seymour Vol. Fire also uses TACN but it is used for secondary comms like talkaround and sometimes for incidents as well. GSMNP VHF frequencies are also a good one to program for Sevier County they sometimes repeat what comes across land air. They also have use of TACN which is linked to their VIPER Talkgroup.

Also, Cocke County Sheriffs Office can still be heard on their NXDN conventional frequency and their analog frequencies. Jefferson County Fire and Rescue agencies are still paged off their analog repeaters. You can also still monitor White Pine Police, White Pine Fire, and Baneberry Fire on NXDN conventional (Land Air is not their communications provider) within Jefferson County.

One more thing, I would keep an eye out for some changes because there is some talk of a user on the Land Air Trunking System leaving the system for the TACN system because the administration of that agency wants to be on the system that the Troopers use and have those type of radios. There is talk of it happening in a couple of years but nothing is official yet.
Slim pickings in short.

I hear a lot of complaints from one of the three counties in regards of coverage and general use. So perhaps they will follow suit. Hamblen is in the process of switching over to TACN; first roll out of portables will be either the end of this month or next month; pagers are starting to get passed around now to the FDs. I do wonder when Sevier will join TACN, but they will probably be the last among the crowd since LAC has the home turf advantage.

JDrisc3480

Slim pickings in short.

I hear a lot of complaints from one of the three counties in regards of coverage and general use. So perhaps they will follow suit. Hamblen is in the process of switching over to TACN; first roll out of portables will be either the end of this month or next month; pagers are starting to get passed around now to the FDs. I do wonder when Sevier will join TACN, but they will probably be the last among the crowd since LAC has the home turf advantage.
This is good to know as the wife and I are planning to move into that area within the next year.

andyb970

Do you know the RAN Code for White Pine Fire?

spencerwww

I hear there going get ride.land radio system.i know pigeon forge has p25 so I wonder if p25 vendor is going be take over I heard they tired money in land system.sk.i wonder if this is true

zachgallop

I hear there going get ride.land radio system.i know pigeon forge has p25 so I wonder if p25 vendor is going be take over I heard they tired money in land system.sk.i wonder if this is true
It’s not Pigeon Forge Fire that I was referencing considering changing to TACN, but they are also a very good possibility since PD and the Trolleys are on the system. However, they did get new radios (Kenwood NX-5300s) from Land Air not that long ago for Nexedge. Several county agencies have been buying new Kenwood NX-5300s from Land Air within the last couple of years if I remember the time frame right. There is another agency that the Chief is strongly considering it and has talked to several people within his department and the government body over his department.

Last edited:

spencerwww

It’s not Pigeon Forge Fire that I was referencing changing to TACN, but they are also a very good possibility since PD and the Trolleys are on the system. However, they did get new radios (Kenwood NX-5300s) from Land Air not that long ago for Nexedge. Several county agencies have been buying new Kenwood NX-5300s from Land Air within the last couple of years if I remember the time frame right. There is another agency Chief considering it and has talked to several people within his department and the government body over that agency.
Is there anyway thell.go.p25 and will they unencrypted the needed raxios i don't see why fire ems should be encrypted I hear they at one time wanted to ditch land radio i wonder if it will happen. Not anytime soon but could.p25 take over

medic9351301

Banned
spencer anything is possible . but just because they go p 25 or to tacn . does not mean they cannot encrypt. look at knoxville there on it and encrypted . so i would not hold my breath just yet. i would like to know this chief's take on the big e . before all hope is built up on it being clear

Last edited:

andyb970

I work in Sevier County Fire Service Part Time. They are going to switch to TACN in the future. They want to be able to page on the same radios. The NXDN you can not page on that system. All the fire dept.'s will be on the same systems. The City will have little to do with that. The county fire chiefs make that decision.

fredva

Feed Provider
A lot of counties figured out long ago that it was better to have one radio system (or perhaps one digital system and an analog system for paging) for public safety. And centralized dispatching.

medic9351301

Banned
it seems to me that sevier county is backwards in my thoughts.
i understand the central dispatching for fire/ ems . but if you going to have a central dispatch center should'nt the law side be involved i understand the so/pitman center, is centralized. why are the others like g'burg, pidgeon forge, serville police not housed in central. maybe i am just used to they way my county/ city does . everything is housed under one roof .

just my 1.00 worth of thoughts put another 5 with it and go buy a happy meal and enjoy your days

fredva

Feed Provider
it seems to me that sevier county is backwards in my thoughts.
i understand the central dispatching for fire/ ems . but if you going to have a central dispatch center should'nt the law side be involved i understand the so/pitman center, is centralized. why are the others like g'burg, pidgeon forge, serville police not housed in central. maybe i am just used to they way my county/ city does . everything is housed under one roof .

just my 1.00 worth of thoughts put another 5 with it and go buy a happy meal and enjoy your days
I believe you are correct in your assessments. Your county isn't unique; Sevier County is. This is why people regularly post questions here asking about Sevier County because their setup doesn't make sense.

andyb970

Yes Each PD still dispatches itself. Central handles all Fire EMS Dispatch. The Cities answer 9-1-1 in there City Limits. All county 9-1-1 goes to central. You can hear central talk to the PD's and the SO on 460.500 and it is open air. They have to transfer you around. All Cell calls go to Central. To me being a responder it slows down dispatch. It is better than before we had Central. I was a member of Pittman Center Vol. Fire Dept. and Ronnie McCarters Store/ Gas Station Dispatch us.

Last edited:

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Yes Each PD still dispatches itself. Central handles all Fire EMS Dispatch. The Cities answer 9-1-1 in there City Limits. All county 9-1-1 goes to central. You can hear central talk to the PD's and the SO on 460.500 and it is open air. They have to transfer you around. All Cell calls go to Central. To me being a responder it slows down dispatch. It is better than before we had Central. I was a member of Pittman Center Vol. Fire Dept. and Ronnie McCarters Store/ Gas Station Dispatch us.

I know nothing about how the sausage is made up there. Are you saying that each police department has their own dispatch center, or that it's like other places where it's in one place (central, lol), and they are either on different consoles or like on night shift, one poor dispatcher gets several agencies patched on one console?

In the old days, for instance, Knox County 911 had a dispatch talk group, but they were all co-located in one place.

Pittman center VFD PSAP was a gas station?

EDIT: cool patch for your avatar. Is that their current one?

fredva

Feed Provider
Pittman center VFD PSAP was a gas station?

I'm not familiar with that particular fire department, but 911 hasn't always existed. For many years, it wasn't unusual for a volunteer fire department's phone number to ring at a business or somebody's home, and then somebody at that location would blow a siren to summon firefighters to the station.

andyb970

Yes the Oak Ridge National Lab Fire Dept. Patch. I am Medically Retired from there. Yes, each Volunteer Fire Department in Sevier County before Central Dispatch came on line in 2002-2003 dispatched itself. How ever they could. We had 9-1-1 just no dispatch. Pittman Center VFD is between Gatlinburg and Cosby. It is a Little City with 2 police officers. The 9-1-1 calls was taken by the SO and we had a phone number and they would call it and during the day and evening it was answered at Ronnie McCarters Store/ Gas Station. They would dispatch us. At that Time I was working for Gatlinburg Fire Dept. and Volunteering at Pittman Center. The Cities had there city dispatch that would dispatch each city fire department. Pigeon Forge was all Volunteer till 2006 before they had paid crews.

Status
Not open for further replies.