Who scans in COS and El Paso Co?

MountainMoose

What are you listening to? What are your favs? Looking for new listening ideas. Does anyone use the Close Call feature and where/ what do you listen to?
COS Labor Day Lift Off this weekend should bring some good listening opportunities.
Thanks! Enjoy your weekend!

Quadpilot1

I have all the law and fire programmed along with Fort Carson MP's, Butts Field at Fort Carson, along with the Hospitals and AMR. I also have the AFA airfield in there and a few other things. So far, I have not had a shortage of things to listen to.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Honestly in my experience you really need multiple radios to effectively scan in that county. There are times when County Fire dispatch, SO North and/or SO South are so busy that you can barely scan anything else. The same goes for AMR primary and CSP 2 Baker East, they are also often quite busy.

There is definitely a LOT to listen to in that area! This includes railroads, Airband, military bases, private DMR etc etc.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Most any large populated area multiple scanners are almost a must now....luckily rail and air can be done with some older cheaper units as well as maybe some older PS systems. Heck where I am, it requires three P25 capable scanners and two analog and it could be called small town and rural. Thankfully there are good antenna splitters out there.

MountainMoose

Honestly in my experience you really need multiple radios to effectively scan in that county. There are times when County Fire dispatch, SO North and/or SO South are so busy that you can barely scan anything else. The same goes for AMR primary and CSP 2 Baker East, they are also often quite busy.

There is definitely a LOT to listen to in that area! This includes railroads, Airband, military bases, private DMR etc etc.
See, I don't feel that at all. I would honestly say after having scanned for years and years in many major and larger cities this is one of the quietest less active places I've scanned.

radio

Premium Subscriber
One absolutely need multiple radios to follow all the action here in the city and in the county. However, when CSPD went encrypted, that took a lot of action away.

I was in good shape in my radios until Colorado Springs went Simulcast. Yagi antenna is only as good as your cable connections. Having to tether the radios to that cable is a pain. Fortunately I have SDS 100s for the priority traffic.

Quadpilot1

I do not see where the CSPD is encrypted I pick up Falcon and sand creek and academy every day on the simulcast and not only dispatch but the cars also. As for more than one radio that won't happen because I had to save for quite some time just to get what I have besides this is just a pass time my real hobby is RC Helicopters they are more of a challenge than just sitting listening to police calls.

radio

Premium Subscriber
I just checked the CSPD TGs. SDS 100 still shows ENCRY. What Talk groups were you listening to?

El Paso Sheriff TGs are all clear except for selected Tac channels. State Patrol is clear as well.

CSPD units are clear when operating on C zones or on MAC channels with other agencies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I do not see where the CSPD is encrypted I pick up Falcon and sand creek and academy every day on the simulcast and not only dispatch but the cars also. As for more than one radio that won't happen because I had to save for quite some time just to get what I have besides this is just a pass time my real hobby is RC Helicopters they are more of a challenge than just sitting listening to police calls.
Dude you are not hearing CSPD dispatch channels, they have been ENC for like a year. I would suggest you confirm the TGs you are monitoring.....

Quadpilot1

Well, I believe Sand Creek, Falcon, Stetson and Academy Divisions are part of the CSPD and it says law Dispatch. Your TG is 4572 whatever that is. And I am not your DUDE!

Just like 4620 is Fire Dispatch that I get quite clear also and the truck responses. all on Simulcast also!

Last edited:

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
DUDE! I'm calling your bluff. Unless you have a magic radio that nobody else has, you are not hearing CSPD in the clear. I have 3 radios running right now and they all show CSPD as still encrypted.

radio

Premium Subscriber
Per the DTRS list, TG 4572 is the Colorado Springs Police Academy. I just tuned it in and yes there is clear traffic. Sounds like training to me. This is the first time I have ever listened to that TG.

Yes DTRS shows it as an Encrypted channel but at this moment, there is clear traffic.

457211dcDECSPD AcadmyPolice - AcademyLaw TalkColorado Springs

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Per the DTRS list, TG 4572 is the Colorado Springs Police Academy. I just tuned it in and yes there is clear traffic. Sounds like training to me. This is the first time I have ever listened to that TG.

Training Academy is just that - Because there is no Academy Division - You will not hear any other CSPD TG's in the clear!!!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Well, I believe Sand Creek, Falcon, Stetson and Academy Divisions are part of the CSPD and it says law Dispatch. Your TG is 4572 whatever that is. And I am not your DUDE!

Just like 4620 is Fire Dispatch that I get quite clear also and the truck responses. all on Simulcast also!

Just to make sure I undersand you correctly. You are reporting that you are able to hear Colorado Springs Police Sand Creek, Stetson, and Falcon divisions?

4572 is the police academy and isn't labled as law dispatch.

Fire Dispach 4620 isn't encrypted and nobody is questioning that.

Quadpilot1

I do not care what you call DUDE as far as I am concerned you can take a hike. I thought that coming here would help me understand this better but as I can see all I am running into is a bunch of CRETINS that want to Argue as this will be my last post and you all can go Fork yourselves!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Nobody is arguing with you. You clearly stated you were hearing Springs PD Dispatch that has been encrypted for a while and we were merely seeking clarification with you to see if something had changed. Words have meanings and it is unfortunate you don’t feel the same unless they are vulgar.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
I figured out what you were hearing. You were monitoring the CSPD Training Academy TG and they simulate calls to the different divisions. You will hear similar traffic on the CSFD Training TG 4634. Sorry that you feel unwelcome. Your approach was telling a lot of us who have been monitoring for years that we were all wrong. By the way, I love to hike.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Just to make sure I undersand you correctly. You are reporting that you are able to hear Colorado Springs Police Sand Creek, Stetson, and Falcon divisions?

Falcon, Sandcreek, Goldhill, Stetson and all Tac, citywide, metro, and VNI TGs are still encrypted. Verified this again this evening via my SDS100 and 200. Database for the springs is correct. The Academy TG is in the clear. EPSO TAC 2 is reported as DE but it is in the clear. EPSO tac 4 all higher channels are DE and correctly listed in the database.

David628

Premium Subscriber
abqscan said:

QUOTE="David628, post: 3739209, member: 261652"]
Falcon, Sandcreek, Goldhill, Stetson and all Tac, citywide, metro, and VNI TGs are still encrypted. Verified this again this evening via my SDS100 and 200. Database for the springs is correct. The Academy TG is in the clear. EPSO TAC 2 (should be 1) is reported as DE but it is in the clear. EPSO tac 4 (should be 2) all higher channels are DE and correctly listed in the database.
[/QUOTE]

Correction to my reply:
EPSO TAC 1 (not 2) is reported as DE but it is in the clear.
EPSO tac 2 and all higher channel numbers are DE and correctly listed in the database.
Ill also submit the correction for EPSO TAC 1 to be corrected from DE to D.

MountainMoose

Yes DTRS shows it as an Encrypted channel but at this moment, there is clear traffic.

The Police academy TG is and always has been in the clear. Boring training stuff.