• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Audio Console/Mixer

N9JIG

Sheriff
Does anyone have a reasonably priced idea for an audio mixer, sort of like an NCS-3230, but with the ability to handle 10-12 inputs?

With my current shack at home I have 3 Icoms and 7 Uniden scanners and due to sharing the office these days need to use headphones. I have been swapping them around as needed but it limits me to one radio or the computer at a time.

I know some people like the Beringher audio mixers but that is too pricey for now.

TJX400

A physical mixer would work, but don't forget you can purchase 3.5mm to USB jacks, and then use a virtual mixer like Voicemeeter to control the volume.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I use a Behringer X-Air series. Controlled via computer or tablet. There are also Midas versions of the same.

N9JIG

Sheriff
A physical mixer would work, but don't forget you can purchase 3.5mm to USB jacks, and then use a virtual mixer like Voicemeeter to control the volume.
Would Windows or MacOS be able to address up to 12 USB sound jacks?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think you can get the same number of channels for less money with a different brand.

Looking at Sweetwater's website (a candy store for recorded and live sound), here are a couple of choices:

Behringer is almost the Baofeng of mixers. Mostly designed in Germany, but made in China. I think Mackie and Yamaha may have higher quality.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I think you can get the same number of channels for less money with a different brand.

Looking at Sweetwater's website (a candy store for recorded and live sound), here are a couple of choices:

Behringer is almost the Baofeng of mixers. Mostly designed in Germany, but made in China. I think Mackie and Yamaha may have higher quality.

My IT guy (son) said the Behringer X2222USB was the best for my needs, thanks for the suggestion! I ordered one tonight, should be here Friday.

One question he wasn't sure of: Should I get 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono cables, stereo to stereo or mono to mono cables? According to the 996 manual it outputs to a mono jack for the External Speaker jack and I assume the same for the 536's and SDS200. As for the Icom's (IC-7300, IC-705 and R8600) I will have to figure them out.

AK9R

Super Moderator
There's a company called Hosa that caters to the pro audio biz. They make a cable that is 1/8 TS (aka "mono") on one end and 1/4 TS on the other end. Sweetwater carries this cable in a couple different lengths. With a few exceptions, most of the radios you deal with have mono audio outputs. For example of the exception, the IC-7610 has two receivers and a stereo headphone jack so one receiver is on one channel and the other receiver is on the other.

On that Behringer, channels 1 through 8 are mono and 9/10 through 15/16 are stereo. The stereo channels can take either a mono or stereo input and if you just plug into the Left channel, you'll get mono. That mixer has some nice routing features that will let you send each channel to the MAIN faders or the SUB faders. The SUB faders can then be routed to the headphone jack or to the MAIN faders. I think that whatever is on the MAIN faders also appears on the USB to your computer. You can route audio from the computer to either the headphones or the MAIN faders. Channels 1-8 have a "sweepable" or "parametric" mid range EQ control plus Bass and Treble. Channels 9/10-15/16 have a High Mid and a Low Mid EQ plus Bass and Treble. Channels 1-8 have a "one knob compressor" that adjusts two or three compression parameters simultaneously. Watch a few YouTube vids and you'll get the hang of signal routing and adjustment.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Thanks for that Bob!

I have looked at the Hosa cables and I can probably use the 3' ones. I am however looking now for cables with a 1/4 TS with a right angle on one end and 1/8 TS on the other (The 1/8 end can be right angle or not...). This would allow me to dress the cables to the back of the mixer nicely. If I can't find them then the Hosa CMP-303 Interconnect Cable will be the one for me. I do have a note into Sweetwater to see if such a cable is available.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Rich, if you haven't found it already, the cable finder on Sweetwater's site might help: The Sweetwater Cable Finder

That said, I didn't see any 1/4 TS right angle to 1/8 TS cables. You may have go with a 1/4 TS right angle to 1/4 TS straight and then use an adapter to get to 1/8 TS (probably can be found on Amazon).

AK9R

Super Moderator
That's not a bad idea. I'd probably buy some decent quality 1/8" TS to 1/8" TS cables that were twice as long as I needed. Then, cut them in half and solder on 1/4"TS connectors either straight or right angle. Why go this way? 1/8" connectors are a little fiddly for old eyes and unsteady hands to solder so let somebody's machine make those connections and overmold them.

W8HDU

Does anyone have a reasonably priced idea for an audio mixer, sort of like an NCS-3230, but with the ability to handle 10-12 inputs?

Once you get over 8 channels, the pricing goes up. You might find a nice sub-mixer on the used market. Also, the size goes up.

We're in the process of designing our own mixer at work because nobody is making a simple, no frills mixer, unless you wish to get into the live sound style of board. I want something simple for our voice-over talent to use. Knob, on/off, VU meter.....

You can build a basic one easily if you want to go that route.

prcguy

I had to design and build several custom voice over consoles to save some $$ on a limited budget project years ago. Commercial versions ran about $1100 and this one came out about 1/4 the price not including my labor. I hand punched all connector holes, designed the silkscreen and even had to drill little holes in the fronts of the knobs and fill with white paint as the pointer style knobs were out of stock at the time.

This console takes in two mic/headsets and routes to an on air mixer or to an intercom with the push of a button and with no switch clicks. It also has a cough switch or mute button that silently disconnects the mic when needed. This project was so time and cost limited I ordered the enclosures and started on the silkscreen before I even knew what was going in the box.

So if you need something bad enough you can build it!

1664476897924.jpeg
1664476924505.jpeg

1664477337063.jpeg

Once you get over 8 channels, the pricing goes up. You might find a nice sub-mixer on the used market. Also, the size goes up.

We're in the process of designing our own mixer at work because nobody is making a simple, no frills mixer, unless you wish to get into the live sound style of board. I want something simple for our voice-over talent to use. Knob, on/off, VU meter.....

You can build a basic one easily if you want to go that route.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Why not make your own cables? Buy good quality connectors and cable and you can easily make some that are better than most store bought cables.
I don't mind spending a little to get pre-made cables but I just haven't been able to find the ones I want.

I might make my own eventually. I think it might work better for me to buy 6 or 10 foot cables with right-angle 1/4 TS plugs and solder the 1/8 in plugs.

The mixer should be here today so I will probably order a few cables now to get started.

W8HDU

FYI, there is a nice site for designing your own mixer, Elliot Sound. It's a little dated, but the fundamental building blocks are there. Personally, I've built a number of audio projects, and I prefer the ICs from THAT Corporation. Although you can use a simple 10K pot for mix control, I used the 2181 VCA as gain control. The VCAs are also handy for compressor or limiters for keeping constant audio levels for recording or feeds on audio streams.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
My IT guy (son) said the Behringer X2222USB was the best for my needs, thanks for the suggestion! I ordered one tonight, should be here Friday.

And it's still got effects loops, so you could mix in roger beeps and echo chambers to really trick out the audio..... :D

One question he wasn't sure of: Should I get 1/8 stereo to 1/4 mono cables, stereo to stereo or mono to mono cables? According to the 996 manual it outputs to a mono jack for the External Speaker jack and I assume the same for the 536's and SDS200. As for the Icom's (IC-7300, IC-705 and R8600) I will have to figure them out.

I'd use the headphone jacks as it's a lower level audio and not likely to wipe out the input preamps on the board, or at least cause wildly distorted audio. It will also be much easier to tweak the level of the input audio to the board; minimum level audio from the speaker jack is often hot enough to overdrive the inputs on your board (I speak from experience).

As far as stereo vs mono, you'll have to test; thanks to the proliferation of cheap stereo headphones many radios these days are using stereo headphone jacks. I tried using a stereo plug on my Icom 7300 with no luck, but when I switched to a mono plug it worked fine. Vice-versa on one of the scanners. The other thing you could do is standardize on cables with 1/4 mono on one end and 1/8 stereo on the other end, then use 1/8 stereo jack to 1/8 mono adapters where needed (I use these all the time).

Also make sure to use decently shielded cables.

bharvey2

I own and have used a number of the smaller Mackie mixers. I like them quite well. Solidly built and little in the way of quirks. Behringer has been mentioned and I too have heard that they have a history of being Baofengesque. However, my understanding is they've up'd their game and now produce a better product in the Xenyx line. -No hands on experience with them, though. My latest purchase was a Mackie Pro Fx6 for a dedicated Zoom/video conferencing computer setup at home during the "Covid experience". I've been very happy with it.