Antenna jumpers

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
Hey everyone I am working on redoing my scanner setup. I am installing a ST2 on a push up 30' mast and running LMR 400 to my room. I am using a EDA Electoline 2802 multicoupler. I am running 5 scanners and was wanting to know what jumpers you would recommend for the connection to the scanners from the EDA? Length would be around 3 foot. Thanks so much! I have 10 rg58 jumpers that are 3 foot long just didn't know if they are worth using or not. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For 3 feet, you won't see any noticeable difference by upgrading cable, not worth the money if you already have what you need. Just use quality LMR-400, have the connectors installed and waterproof all your outdoor connections.

Rereading this, I should probably clarify....

RG-58 is fine for short jumpers. Yes, it's a lossy cable at higher frequencies, but the difference in losses between RG-58 and similar size/lower loss cables for such a short run isn't something you'd notice.
The important part is to have cable that is flexible enough that it doesn't put any strain on the connectors. Busting a connector off the scanner will not be worth it.

If you were starting from zero and needed all new cables, something like LMR-195 has a bit less loss, but is still flexible enough to not strain the connectors. Getting 3 foot sections of LMR-195 with new connectors installed would not be cheap, and it's unlikely you'd notice the difference.

In other words, use what you've got unless you really need to waste some money or want the bragging rights. Unless you have a really, really, really weak signal, you won't hear the difference, and even then, it would be a very minor improvement.

Upgrading the cable to your antenna is a good plan. Lower loss cable gets more signal down to your distribution amp. That's usually a good investment.

Do your best to avoid adapters. Use the correct connectors to mate directly to the equipment. Adapters add unnecessary loss and strain.

Ubbe

If you only receive strong signals then it's no problem. But if you try to receive weak signals then the internal noise figure of 5dB from the multicoupler might be an obstacle. It also do not work below 54MHz. The ST2 antenna have high SWR figures in some frequencies.
If the SWR are 2 then it means that it's either 100 ohm or 25 ohm in relation to a 50 ohm coax.

If you use an amplifier at the antenna and it has a noise figure of 0,5dB and gain of over 6dB, then it will overcome the multicoupler's noise and it will at the same time work as buffer to the antenna and produce a steady 50 ohm impedance to the coax. You would need an attenuator of something like 10dB before the multicoupler to not overload it or your receivers.

The Electroline 2802 has a power input to power an amplifier thru the coax, but any attenuators needs to have a power pass function. A variable attenuator can be taken apart and solder a choke between input and output to make it power pass, if it doesn't measure 0 ohm between in and output.

/Ubbe

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Get the f to N adaptors. Patch cables n from eda to bnc scanners. That's what I did very happy. You could also add the EDA 2800 instead of the 2802 The +4db won't kill the setup.

btlacer

So if I was going to use the antennafarm to make my coax jumpers which cable should I use? I would like thin coax and I don't want expensive cable. I only need maybe (3) 5' cables, (5) 3' cables. Will need f to bnc connections.

btlacer

Guess I should add that I monitor vhf high to 900 mhz. I'm using (2) BC780xlts, (1) 796D, (1) SDS200, (2) BCT15X, (1) Home Patrol 2 and a sdr.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
RG-58 would be fine for short runs even up at 900MHz.
LMR-195 would be an upgrade, but additional cost.
You won't be able to get F connectors on these types of cables. You'll need to use an adapter.

browdr1

Saskie
Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone I am working on redoing my scanner setup. I am installing a ST2 on a push up 30' mast and running LMR 400 to my room. I am using a EDA Electoline 2802 multicoupler. I am running 5 scanners and was wanting to know what jumpers you would recommend for the connection to the scanners from the EDA? Length would be around 3 foot. Thanks so much! I have 10 rg58 jumpers that are 3 foot long just didn't know if they are worth using or not. Thanks!
Thanks for posting this question! Couldn't be better timing. I'm running RG213 at about 40 feet to my Diamond ant about 25 feet up. and I've got 2 BCD536hp, a BCD436hp I tap in now and then, but as of today I've actually got a Motorola P25 XTL 2500 radio. It wont be getting used to send, Only receive. ( for now, a second line will probably be installed in the summer for it and I'll run the back up dispatch here.) I was literally looking at the EDA Electoline 2402 multicoupler as an option with the Stridsberg MCA104M. Obviously price is a large difference. And from wat I've read the 2402 is a solid unit with no complaints. Considereing its half price for me... Finding one is the issue. I'm up in Canada and can't find to many other than ebay. Add conversion and then shipping. and it hurts! My next question was the same as yours, what to jump with.
Right now I literally have a "T" off the RG213and it feeds both units and has just fine with no interference. The T is about 8 inches from each scanner, so perhaps that helps minimize issue. But Id like to clean that up a bit with a multicoupler.